Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2016, 13:01   #1

Bareboat Trip Ideas

Just joined as a member but always followed the site. Wanted to get some feedback from this group on a potential trip that I am putting together.

We've been going to the BVI for over 15 years now but are looking at doing a bareboat trip to a different Carribean location. Initially we looked at St Vincent and the Grenadines but after doing some research and seeing some of the safety/security issues down there lately, I am having second thoughts.

It would be a small group (4-5) of mixed company with a few experienced boaters. I don't want to get down there an be so concerned with safety that we can't relax, but maybe its not a big deal and the reports are overblown.

Does anyone have any advice? Is theft with the occasional armed burglary or assault a real and common concern? Does anyone have any other location suggestions if so?

Thanks in advance for the help.
NCSailor11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 13:14   #2

Boat: Sold Sigma 33 OOD some time ago, will be chartering in Turkey really soon
Re: Bareboat Trip Ideas

Just go for SVG. Yes, over the years some incidents took place. In our 'backyard' (Amsterdam) more incidents happen in a week than in years in SVG.

Have been to most of the Caribbean Islands I truly think SVG is simply the best (for sailing and snorkling). You'll love it.
Old 04-07-2016, 13:44   #3

SVG would be good, just take precautions, don't go out in strange places at night. With a group you are usually good. Get out of St V quick and see the Grenadines etc. Or charter out of Grenada and go to the Grenadines is another option. Many places in the Carribean are high on the world murder rate list.... including the USVI.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 17:32   #4

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Had a similar discussion recently for a delivery/training trip starting in Martinique and ending in Grenada. Most of the security issues appear to be around St Vincent/St Lucia...so, we skipped them.

Martinique, much of the Grenadines, and Grenada seem pretty sedate.

The problem with general population crime statitistics is that they are not necessarily that relevant to other population groups like cruisers. The site below collects events reported by cruisers...and yup, the Windwards are a hot spot.

https://www.safetyandsecuritynet.com/
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bareboat