Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-08-2019, 09:09   #16

Re: BAHAMAS CRUISING PERMIT - PROPOSED CHANGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcapital View Post
The magnitude of the increases don't seem unreasonable - but for an annual fee it would seem more reasonable to allow multiple exits/entries. And, the annual cost in combination with this restriction would be a consideration in deciding whether to keep a boat there for a couple of seasons or a year. Not that the government is likely to listen....
If they didn't listen after people told them the $150/300 fee was going to kill Bimini back in 2001, and then watching it actually happen, they darn sure aren't going to listen to anyone now.

But, as has been mentioned numerous times, it's their country, and they are the ones it will hurt, and they have every right to do that, if that is what they really want.
Old 15-08-2019, 09:27   #17

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

Hi, Woosah!

Bahamas, Land and Sea Facebook page, along with Cruising Guide, have some discussion of this.

Essentially it's now in a comments period; the comments have been fast and furious.

The Bahamas have proposed, and then backed off, highly increased charges in the past.

One of the theories of how any such increases might occur have to do with the charter industry, whose clients don't know of the fees, and if the vessel is Bahamian based, irrelevant in any event.

Here's the thread:

https://web.facebook.com/groups/baha...03688266479692
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2019, 09:33   #18

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcapital View Post
The magnitude of the increases don't seem unreasonable - but for an annual fee it would seem more reasonable to allow multiple exits/entries. And, the annual cost in combination with this restriction would be a consideration in deciding whether to keep a boat there for a couple of seasons or a year. Not that the government is likely to listen....
You can get an extension (up to a total of 3 years, after which you have to take it out or 'import' it) on your cruising permit; the 300 becomes 500 bux.

However, depending on your paranoia or honor system, the paperwork to do so is so cumbersome, and rarely accessed, that your Customs agent may take several times of repeated asking, followed by their repetition of "what was your last port before entering the Bahamas" before you are allowed to renew.

All that's somewhat of no issue if you leave, with the boat. If you don't leave, despite your boat's cruising permit being for 1 year, you'll be hunted down after 8 months, as that's the longest period of continuous time you're allowed to be there without a residency permit.
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2019, 09:38   #19

Boat: Ta Shing Baba 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerPaws View Post
With the exception of the central and southern Exuma Islands the Bahamas have become a cesspool of corruption and crime. Their government is a mess and the narco cartels have all but taken over through bribery and intimidation. Not even the high traffic tourist areas are secure anymore.

As the U.S. and global economies begin to crash (and they will) local officials and governments at large will try to find ways to take as much money as possible from anyone and everyone.

Please mark my words this is only the beginning, watch Europe carefully as it is beginning to crash the U.S. and the world at large will follow.

SeaQuest OE II
OMG, the panic and fear-mongering are crazy :-) how long now have I been hearing about the doom and gloom end of the world scenarios 20+ years for sure and its always immanent... and what always happens? the rich prop it up with another scheme to patch it together because they know if it all goes to hell in a handbasket they go down as well...
Mad Multi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2019, 10:08   #20

Boat: Catalina-Morgan 504

Yep, the global economy is in great shape. Near-zero, zero, and negative interest rates, and quantitative easing really aren't 'life-support.' Economies are booming--it's just for practice...

Maybe it's fear-mongering, yet the 'rich' and the world's central banks keep buying gold. Ya think they might do it for a reason?
Wallaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2019, 10:11   #21

It will be worse than Global Cooling, Global Warming, sun spots, Y2K and the end of the Mayan Calendar combined! ! !
Old 15-08-2019, 10:41   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallaby View Post
Yep, the global economy is in great shape. Near-zero, zero, and negative interest rates, and quantitative easing really aren't 'life-support.' Economies are booming--it's just for practice...

Maybe it's fear-mongering, yet the 'rich' and the world's central banks keep buying gold. Ya think they might do it for a reason?
Yes, because volatility makes financiers rich. They also keep buying stocks, which is ownership of the means of production.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2019, 11:00   #23

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter, 36'

Quote:
With the exception of the central and southern Exuma Islands the Bahamas have become a cesspool of corruption and crime. Their government is a mess and the narco cartels have all but taken over through bribery and intimidation. Not even the high traffic tourist areas are secure anymore.

As the U.S. and global economies begin to crash (and they will) local officials and governments at large will try to find ways to take as much money as possible from anyone and everyone.

Please mark my words this is only the beginning, watch Europe carefully as it is beginning to crash the U.S. and the world at large will follow.

SeaQuest OE II

I just got back from the Abacos, and I do not recognize your description of the Bahamas. Everyone I met in Green Turtle, Guana, Elbow, Little Harbor, and Marsh Harbor were as helpful, friendly, and honest as they could be. I felt much more in danger of being mugged in Daytona Beach, FL than I did in the Abacos. I'm sure you can find and get into trouble in Nassau, and that's why I don't go there.
AJ_n_Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2019, 11:15   #24

Boat: Catalina-Morgan 504

Next time you are in Marsh Harbour, take a walk through The Mudd and PEAS.

Or you can look at Google Maps. Switch to Satellite View and zoom in:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ma....0734588,5384m
Wallaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2019, 11:22   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallaby View Post
Next time you are in Marsh Harbour, take a walk through The Mudd and PEAS.

Or you can look at Google Maps. Switch to Satellite View and zoom in:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ma....0734588,5384m
At the risk of offending people, to my memory, it has to be noted that The Mudd is mostly populated by illegal immigrant Haitians, not Bahamians. I'm not familiar with PEAS.
Old 15-08-2019, 11:28   #26

I live in and make a living from cruisers
Coming to the Bahamas BUT I am now
Recommending to boat owners to head for
Cuba or stay around the Florida keys,,,both of
These places have so much more to offer AND
Cheaper than the Bahamas..
Everytime a Government is thrown out down
Here,they take the Kitty with them,,the new
Government puts taxes/costs up, so that when
They get thrown out,they have a sizable Kitty
To steal also...
mindsofman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2019, 11:41   #27

Thank you to all. Great to get the details of the proposal and make decisions from accurate costing. Much appreciated feedback.
MV Woosah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2019, 15:14   #28
cruiser

Boat: Living the dream - New Gunboat 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindsofman View Post
I live in and make a living from cruisers
Coming to the Bahamas BUT I am now
Recommending to boat owners to head for
Cuba or stay around the Florida keys,,,both of
These places have so much more to offer AND
Cheaper than the Bahamas..
Everytime a Government is thrown out down
Here,they take the Kitty with them,,the new
Government puts taxes/costs up, so that when
They get thrown out,they have a sizable Kitty
To steal also...
Agreed! Most of the Caribbean is this way which is why the islands are so poor. Take a look at Puerto Rico, as U.S. possession run like a banana republic, corrupt to the core.

SeaQuest OE II
TigerPaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2019, 15:20   #29

Boat: Passport 41

How's your weapons stash coming along?

Quote:

SeaQuest OE II
kev_rm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2019, 15:27   #30
cruiser

Boat: Living the dream - New Gunboat 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev_rm View Post
How's your weapons stash coming along?
Nicely, 2 high pressure spear pistols (41cm overall length) pressurized to 35 bar within easy reach of my bed, 2 more in the saloon and 1 in each of the cabins.

Well armed and legal throughout the Caribbean and South America.

SeaQuest OE II
TigerPaws is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, cruising, permit