Originally Posted by way-happy
Thanks for the referral. Yeah that's what we are thinking...wait for that nice big slow moving high to settle into the area and then jump to Norfolk!
You don't want to wait for the high...no wind
...just wait till frontal passage
even if it's screaming with small craft warnings.
Two years ago I helped a buddy take his Catalina
42 to Charleston in late October. He wanted to wait and I said trust me..we waited one day more until the front passed about 6AM and we left Townsends Inlet (about 20 south of Atlantic City). We screamed at 8 plus knots all the way to Cape May...slowed to 7.5 at the mouth of DELBAY as it was about 6 footers for a couple miles...sped back to 8 plus till Ocean City when the wind
started to die but to make time we ran the engine
slow. Chincoteague at sunset...Norfolk at * the next morning and pulled into Coinjock, NC just 36 hours after leaving Townsends Inlet NJ....NOT BAD!!!! But the engine
was turning just enough to keep our speed around 8 or so knots.