Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2019, 11:27   #1

Boat: Alerion Express 28
Antigua to St. Kitts

We are chartering in Antigua in March and would like any info on the passage to St. Kitts. Hearsay accepted.
DEAN2140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2019, 12:11   #2

Boat: Jeanneau 57
Re: Antigua to St. Kitts

I've done that one many times. It is a straight shot from Jolly Harbour or Falmouth/English harbours (where you'd clear out) of Antigua and then you get to head dead downwind past Redonda to the southern tip of Nevis and then head up the leeward coast to take a free mooring off Pinney's beach. That anchorage looks wide open but is actually very sheltered. Or if you really want to head to St. Kitts you would head for the Narrows between St. Kitts and Nevis from Antigua - that stretch looks worse on the chart than it really is; but you should only try it with a good set of charts or a good chartplotter in non-boisterous conditions.
The anchorage off Basseterre is one of nastiest and rolliest that I have encountered in the Caribbean and is to be avoided, you can either head into the marina there or go a couple of miles back towards Nevis and anchor in White House Bay.
I usually end up renting a car at one of the places around the cruise ship dock and drive around the island myself. Brimstone Fort is impressive (and on the UNESCO World Heritage list for a reason), but there are numerous attractions on the island.
Old 30-09-2019, 15:03   #3

Boat: Alerion Express 28

Thanks for the info. A few more questions:
1. how long did it take? We can only sail at daylight as a charterer.
a. Did you do it in your 57'? We will have a DuFour 43. I am looking at Google maps. Your estimate of distance?
2. If Nevis was our destination, wouldn't it be quicker to go through the Narrows?
3. I assume there is no suitable anchorage on the east side of either island.
4. Do you recommend any anchorages in St. Kitts?
DEAN2140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2019, 22:59   #4

Hello Dean2140,
I've done it in a Jeanneau 43, a Jeanneau 49 and the Jeanneau 57

It is only 60-70 miles anchorage to anchorage and is easily done in a day where sunrise will be before 6am and sunset after 17:00. I'd plan on 6-8 knots speed when going there but coming back is against the prevailing winds and you might want to motorsail and use 5 knots (VMG) for your trip planning. In March the waves are going to be at least 1m against you, so it would make sense to get in the lee of Antigua when you get closer to lessen the effect of the waves.

If you plan on Nevis then your only good anchorage is off Pinney's beach just north of Charleston. The other alternative is further north towards the Narrows at Oualie beach. I usually go around the south end of Nevis but hate doing that towards sunset with the sun in your eyes (and never at night) since that whole area is a breeding grounds for fish traps of every kind - white floats, Tide bottles, transparent Coke bottles, etc.

Nothing on either island on the east coast excepts rocks and beaches.

I really like White House Bay on St. Kitts, and I hear that the resort inside the Great Salt Pond is now open so that might be an option for dockage at a marina. There's a marina in Basseterre right next to the cruise ship pier but I don't think that there's anything north of Basseterre on the west side except for a boat yard with no marina or docks.
Old 01-10-2019, 11:29   #5

I have anchored a few times in Majors Bay on the south of St Kitts with no issues. Very quiet and protected when I was there. I chartered a few times out of Antigua, and my favorite trip was running up to Barbuda for a couple nights, having pink sand beach and frigate birds all to ourselves, then heading down to Nevis, a better angle on the E winds. From Nevis over to Majors Bay then up to Statia on the way back north.
Jackz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 11:39   #6

Is Major's Bay where the ferry goes between St. Kitts and Nevis? I've been there on the shore side a couple of times but haven't anchored there. I should have added that my anchorage options are limited a bit with 8.5 feet of keel...
Old 01-10-2019, 12:03   #7

Boat: Outbound 46

We have made that passage a few times in our 46-footer. It is a pleasant downwind sail. About 50nm. It has usually taken us about 8 hours, so an early departure is indicated.

We actually prefer Nevis as a place to visit. Mandatory moorings if you go into Charlestown, but we have been there in a blow, and they all held up. There are lots of nice hikes, or you can rent bikes for a tour. Much less commercial/spoiled by cruise ships than St. Kitts.
DMCantor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 12:26   #8

Boat: 1975 Tartan 41'

White House is about 50mi from jolly harbor. It's is a fairly popular anchorage with a restaurant/bar/club that has dancing. We had to anchor a bit far out in 25ft b/c of boats.

South Frier bay St. Kitts is an option that I prefer just 1.5mi away. Fewer boats there and you can anchor in 10ft of crystal clear water. There's a nice beach with small bars and places to eat like Shipwreck. There's a shallow reef immediately in front of the beach which you can snorkel from the anchored boat. You have to go toward the N.W. end of the beach (toward white tent resort) to land your dinghy or S.E. near shipwreck to avoid the reef. A little noise from jet boats during the day, but quiet at night.

Here's a link to our video of st. Kitts....

zstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 14:01   #9

Boat: Lagoon 42, Minx

The narrow passage between Nevis and St. Kitts can be filled with fishing floats, as can the south end of the Nevis. Loc a leg frequently use single use clear water bottles as markers. This can make life exciting in the early morning and sunset hours. Especially if you snag one on your prop near one of the reefs.

Majors Bay is a really sheltered anchorage. I have gone through a number of tropical storms and tropical waves while anchored there. The ferry dock has very bright lights, but they usually close down by nine PM. You can call for a taxi pickup at the ferry dock, but make sure you know the price the driver will charge, before you tell him to come pick you up. The western end is a little deeper than closer to the ferry dock. 8.5' shouldn't be an issue. Mostly sand bottom.

We got tired of the check in procedures and all the noise in St. Kitts/Nevis. It is a long beat back to Antigua. Heading past Redonda to Deshaise, Guadeloupe, overnighting it there (the big wind gusts in Deshaise are not indicative of the open ocean conditions) then returning to Antigua is easier on you and the boat. The French are very relaxed on checking in/out. A small clothing/tourist stuff shop on the waterfront serves as the immigration office. They have a QUERTY keyboard to fill in the forms. Last time it was five Euros to check in and another five to check out.

If you have never been to Barbuda, it is not only a much more pleasant reach, both ways, but a lot like the Bahamas. Miles of deserted beaches, clear water with coral heads dotting the white sand bottom make up most of the western side. The island is very low lying. The Atlantic side is rough, but lots of flotsam to look over while walking the beaches. We have anchored there for weeks at a time, just reaching over to Antigua to stock up the ladder on non-essentials. You may find yourself alone in an anchorage for extended periods. A good pair of walking sandals or sneakers is essential for walking over the sand barbs and exposed coral.
singlespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 17:51   #10

Boat: Taswell 43

following
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 08:19   #11

We are looking at itineraries for March out of Jolly Harbor also -- we only have one week so thinking St. Kitts/Nevis may be too far. Any advice on favorite anchorages on Antigua/Barbuda? Montserrat looks doable is it worth it?
KW60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 08:37   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Barbuda is a good alternative recommendation and I would add Guadeloupe.

The run to St Kitts, Nevis is easy. The return will not be. Wind is reliably east 99%. I would not want to do this on a tight schedule. You could return upwind by way of Montserrat but that harbor is notoriously rough.

Many people enjoy a circumnavigation of Antigua. There are a lot of things to do and harbors or remote anchorages. That includes diving and snorkeling.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 08:59   #13

Boat: Outbound 46

The anchorage in Nonsuch Bay behind Green Island is as good as it gets, every bit as spectacular as the Tobago Keys. Last year there were free moorings available. We also have enjoyed Carlisle Bay. You can go in to the resort, and they will usually serve you dinner. If you've never been to English Harbor, its very much worth a visit. I'd recommend anchoring or picking up a mooring in Falmouth Harbor and walking over.
DMCantor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 09:25   #14

Second Green Island:

Green Island
Old 09-11-2019, 12:26   #15

Boat: Island Packet 40

My 2 cents....if the charter is for a week I would give Kitts a pass. Easy to get there but as mentioned it can be a tough trip back or it takes two days back via Guadeloupe. Barbuda gets another vote from me, awesome place to get away from it all. Super easy both ways.
We have spent months in Antigua, so many great anchorages with as much sailing as you would like. No time wasted in Customs/Immigration going between islands.
lovinlifebda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Antigua, St Kitts