Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-05-2015, 22:09   #1

Am I dreaming too big?

One item on my bucket list is to sail around the caribbean for a few months. Let me state this first, I have never sailed a boat but love the allure of it.

How does this sound.
-I take sailing lessons and when i feel ready I purchase a small sail boat. Probably in the $10,000-$15,000 range. Something I will probably have to handle by myself (I don't need a list of recommended boats. There are pages and pages of those). I sail south from North Carolina through the intercostal waterway. When the weather is right I take the plunge from southern Florida to my next destination. I've been a planner my whole life and taken great care to make the best preparations for each endeavor I undertake. This way I am prepared for an inspection by coast guard, weather, engine failure, etc.... I do this for a few months. Get my fix. Then sell the boat. Even if I have to take a 20%-50% loss when i sell the boat it will be worth it for the 3-6 months of experience I have. I don't care to sail for the next several years. Just long enough to get it out of my system.

You guys are the pros here. What are you opinions?

Thanks
donkey_jaw is offline   Reply With Quote