Boat: Lagoon 440
Re: Wintering in the Med

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
hi lorenzo i found the link finally! to the rally
on cruisers forum,thread http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-a-117447.html

here is their facebookpage

https://www.facebook.com/redseasaili...ref=ts&fref=ts
Thanks Atoll for the tip on the rally, I'll PM Miyagi Moon for the details. We have not made a final decision yet, but this idea looks very promising.
lorenzoSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2014, 00:36   #32

Morning!! I think the best option should be Malta or sicily the weather is very soft in winter And there are goods marinas

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 23-09-2014, 02:31   #33

Boat: Amel Santorin 46ft

Licate and Ragasu in Sicily has probably the best winter rates in Italy. The staff speak in both Marinas have good English and are very helpful. Licate might be cheaper but Ragusa is more established.

Sent from my ME173X using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
joemac4sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 14:10   #34

Hi All,

After all the suggestion we have decided to go to the Red Sea, but we are struggling a lot to find insurance that would cover us.
I have tried Y Yacht Insurance as recommended by the Rally team but they don't cover us because the boat is owned by a Japanese but registered in US.

Any other known broker or undewriter you know that will cover boats in the red sea?

Thanks
Old 02-10-2014, 18:44   #35
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

you could try these guys

Come what may!
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 03:00   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
you could try these guys

Come what may!
My boat is registered in the US, so they referred me to their US branch, which does not cover the Red Sea. I suspect it is a company policy though, not just the US.
Old 03-10-2014, 03:17   #37
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzoSF View Post
My boat is registered in the US, so they referred me to their US branch, which does not cover the Red Sea. I suspect it is a company policy though, not just the US.
seacrest marine

yachts

(link at bottom of the page for insurance.)

or direct to

captain alan standing in Cyprus,he is the agent for EDWARD WILLIAM MARINE U.K,they should be able to insure you.

email:seacrest_marine@spidernet.com.cy

tel 00357 99 695034
Old 03-10-2014, 03:58   #38

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe

If your US registered boat has a USA hailing port then you will find it very difficult to purchase insurance from any company that is not represented in the USA.

BTW, there is no US registration for boats. There is USA documentation or there is individual state registration, but no national registration for boats. We have a USA documented boat but our hailing port is St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands. Because the hailing port is not in US proper but instead is in a US territory, different laws apply regarding courts that would be used for any dispute with insurance company, so 'foreign' insurance companies are more willing to write insurance for a US flagged boat with hailing port in a US territory rather than mainland or Hawaii. We have insurance through a French company. Only caveat is that we are not insured if we bring the boat into USA waters; territorial waters are okay and we are covered there, but not mainland USA waters or Hawaii. We checked back in early 2011 and learned that our insurance company would cover us for the Red Sea but there would be a far higher premium than for Med. That was when we still thought we would be sailing the Red Sea. Have since discarded that idea entirely.

If your boat has a hailing port in a US territory rather than USA proper, then this company might be willing to write a policy for you. Otherwise; no.

Judy
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 04:08   #39

Boat: Lagoon 380 #069

I can also recommend Edward William. Our agent email michael@edwardwilliam.com was especially quick at getting us sorted.

I'm not sure how they feel about the Red Sea. If they were able to insure a couple of high risk, newbies like us for the Med then experienced Red Sea voyagers should be a walk in the park.
yardie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 15:27   #40

Thanks again Atoll and Yardie, I got a quote from Edward Marine in no time and they are willing to cover us (newbies too) in the Red Sea and with our unusual registration setup.

Before I sign on the dotted line, I think it would be fair to ask the crowd: any experience with claims with them? Do they pay up when they should?

It's great to be insured, but if they run away when it's time to pay, maybe the money is better spent in beer.
Old 03-10-2014, 15:35   #41
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzoSF View Post
Thanks again Atoll and Yardie, I got a quote from Edward Marine in no time and they are willing to cover us (newbies too) in the Red Sea and with our unusual registration setup.

Before I sign on the dotted line, I think it would be fair to ask the crowd: any experience with claims with them? Do they pay up when they should?

It's great to be insured, but if they run away when it's time to pay, maybe the money is better spent in beer.
best check the internet for references!

though I have used them a lot for deliveries because of the ease an owner can get cover,i have never had cause to make a claim.
Old 03-10-2014, 16:53   #42

I have just spent an hour looking up Edward Marine and their underwriter Northernreef.

Sadly there are plenty of threads complaining of them not paying up.
Several are pointing out the fact that they have a very "shady" setup: the insurance company is in Uruguay, the broker in Spain, UK authorities warn against them, but don't regulate them as they are not in their jurisdiction, the spanish authorities do not allow them to sell insurance in Spain (but I guess they can sell it in UK or elsewhere?)

mmmhhh....

Any other company you could recommend?
Old 03-10-2014, 18:02   #43

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

Eastern Med is a lot colder than Western Med in winter, and a lot hotter in summer.
Old 03-10-2014, 23:42   #44

Boat: Lagoon 380 #069

All the threads and complaints I've found are up to 10 years old. With the last being from 2011. From what I can tell they found a niche and are taking full advantage of it. New boat owners with little to no mileage experience and 6 figure property values.

When I was a teenager and bought my first car very few insurance companies wanted to cover me. Or the premium was so high it was cheaper to walk. I did find a little insurance company out if Miami that was able to cover me and didn't charge a fortune. My friends and I joked about really avoiding accidents. This seems like the type of company that would declare bankruptcy after one incident.

But I paid my premiums, avoided accidents, and after a year was no longer considered inexperienced. And then got car insurance with all-state.

I also played the game when I had no credit. I had to give money to get a secured credit line. It seems counterintuitive but it's how credit works in the US. You build a reputation or you use someone else's (cosigner).

I'm playing the reputation game now. Once I have the 0 claims incentive I'll shop around again and probably get a lower rate.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
yardie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 01:16   #45

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

Quote:
Originally Posted by svBeBe View Post
That was when we still thought we would be sailing the Red Sea. Have since discarded that idea entirely.

Judy

While Judy and I may disagree on Tunisia we do not disagree on this one. Did you think that the insurance companies do not want to insure for the Red Sea for a reason?

We will winter over in Tunisia again.

We hope to sail the Red Sea someday before we leave the Med but not right now as it seems a bit iffy right now.
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote