Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2016, 09:27   #46
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Alaska/Portugal
Boat: Custom 55
Posts: 680
Re: Winter harbor in UK or Norway

Thanks, Boatman.

I see on their site that there is no 'residential' mooring. I guess we'll have to define that, but we'll shoot them an email.

There are certainly plenty of places to look at.

TJ
__________________

__________________
TJ D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2016, 08:58   #47
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 208
Re: Winter harbor in UK or Norway

If you were to do Norway, I'd highly recommend Bergen as a destination. Don't know that much about the sailing community there (don't live there at the moment), but the sailing forum links posted earlier should get you in touch with someone who could help answer questions.

What I would say though, is that the winter storms can be pretty bad. There's a hurricane force storm going on right now, for instance (~110mph winds, 20 meter waves..)

Hurricane warnings posted along coast
__________________

__________________
monstads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2016, 09:05   #48
Moderator
 
Dockhead's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Posts: 19,750
Re: Winter harbor in UK or Norway

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstads View Post
. . . What I would say though, is that the winter storms can be pretty bad. There's a hurricane force storm going on right now, for instance (~110mph winds, 20 meter waves..) . . .
Par for the course! That's the North Sea! Nordsee ist Mordsee! A fearsome piece of water.
__________________
"Parce que je suis heureux en mer, et peut-être pour sauver mon ame. . . "
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2016, 09:40   #49
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: UK/Portugal
Posts: 20,210
Images: 2
Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Winter harbor in UK or Norway

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ D View Post
Thanks, Boatman.

I see on their site that there is no 'residential' mooring. I guess we'll have to define that, but we'll shoot them an email.

There are certainly plenty of places to look at.

TJ
That usually means year round.. as transients they'll likely do a 3-6mth deal with you.
__________________


Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2016, 10:25   #50
Zai
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Athens
Boat: 2011 Bavaria 36 Cruiser
Posts: 144
Re: Winter harbor in UK or Norway

Norway is one fantasic coast, with very many very well protected small boat harbors.
I live in Kristiansund, which is just a bit south of Trondheim and I see and talk with many transients who find themselves on this coast.
The small boat harbor here has very good facilities, washing machine/dryer showers and a very short walk to many restaraunts and a grocery store right across the road.

Both the winter and the summer are special in their own way. Summer would definetly be a better time for cruising around.

__________________
Zai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2016, 01:48   #51
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Boat: Sweden Yacht 36
Posts: 22
Re: Winter harbor in UK or Norway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zai View Post

Both the winter and the summer are special in their own way. Summer would definetly be a better time for cruising around.
Maybe a stupid question but is there any ice during the winter? There marinas are probably on more sheltered spots on the fjords so are they ice free for all winter?

I live in Helsinki and here we need to get the boats on hard every winter because of ice.
__________________
Kaptah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2016, 02:49   #52
Moderator
 
Dockhead's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Posts: 19,750
Re: Winter harbor in UK or Norway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaptah View Post
Maybe a stupid question but is there any ice during the winter? There marinas are probably on more sheltered spots on the fjords so are they ice free for all winter?

I live in Helsinki and here we need to get the boats on hard every winter because of ice.
The North Sea, and indeed the Norwegian Sea, don't freeze in the winter, because of the warm North Atlantic Current.

Unlike the Eastern Baltic Sea where you are, which freezes solid most years.
__________________
"Parce que je suis heureux en mer, et peut-être pour sauver mon ame. . . "
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2016, 03:06   #53
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Narragansett Bay
Boat: Able 50
Posts: 3,057
Re: Winter harbor in UK or Norway

The stuff you learn on the internet. I had always assumed that all of Norway froze over through winter.

By the way Dockhead, thank you for that reference to the Finnish canals. I had no idea that such a thing even existed. One more for the bucket list.
__________________
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2016, 12:12   #54
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Boat: Sweden Yacht 36
Posts: 22
Re: Winter harbor in UK or Norway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
The North Sea, and indeed the Norwegian Sea, don't freeze in the winter, because of the warm North Atlantic Current.
I knew that the ocean / open water won't freeze, but the question is really about the sheltered bay, fjords and marinas. I am planning a trip way up north to Lofoten and possibly beyond sometime in the future. I am tempted to leave to boat to there for one winter to give me to summers to explore the region. If I can leave the boat to water it would simplify the logistics quite a lot.

My boat is fiber glass so I would not like to have it on the frozen marina even though some people seem to do that e.g. in Denmark or Germany.
__________________
Kaptah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2016, 14:06   #55
Zai
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Athens
Boat: 2011 Bavaria 36 Cruiser
Posts: 144
Re: Winter harbor in UK or Norway

In some of the longer fjords there is ice, but for example Svolvær, Henningsvær and most of the places to leave a boat in the Lofoten or Vesterållen are ice free.
However in 2000 I was doing some diving work in the Vesterållen and in Sortland I had to move the boat daily for a short while in order to keep a channel open to the slip. There was fresh water running off into the marina, which froze on top of the sea. It was also one of the coldest winters for the prior 70 years too.
There are plenty of places to leave a boat and the locals will be helpfull regarding which is best.
Unbelievably beautifull in the early spring when the sun is beginning to show up again.
Here a little farther south on the west coast we often don't even have snow in the winter. This year we had the first snow middle of January and it was gone last week. Today it is snowing a bit again, the temperature is right at freezing. This week it is forcast for rain and just above freezing.
I am out diving and fishing all winter for example, just have to keep an eye on the weather. :-)

Hope this is helpfull


P.S. Tromsø has quite a good sized sailing fleet and is know as the Paris of the north.
__________________
Zai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2016, 14:07   #56
Registered User
 
ausnp84's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Nazare, Portugal - heading south
Boat: Custom 43ft Steel Ketch but looking at catamarans....
Posts: 301
Re: Winter harbor in UK or Norway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaptah View Post
My boat is fiber glass so I would not like to have it on the frozen marina even though some people seem to do that e.g. in Denmark or Germany.
I knew a family who overwintered in Toronto most years. They used agitators in the water just beside the boat to keep things moving around, and thus stop freezing.

Maybe a thought?

n
__________________
Off to the Caribbean after 5 years of building!!
svbluecalypso.blogspot.com
Blue Calypso on YouTube
ausnp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2016, 16:44   #57
Registered User
 
Arne Henriksen's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Just outside Trondheim, Norway
Boat: Sandvik 880MS
Posts: 17
Re: Winter harbor in UK or Norway

Aside from Zai's examples, you really shouldn't worry about ice - up the coast that's no problem in a normal year.

As for sailing possibilities, here's a couple of pictures and a small video from todays trip, just outside Trondheim. Around 0C, sun, nice weather. :-)
Vintertur | Tiarora

You might also check out Blog - Barba - they are proving that you really don't need to lock down your sailboat in the winter, even in Norway.
__________________
Regards,
Arne
S/Y Tiarora
Arne Henriksen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2016, 03:17   #58
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 8
Re: Winter harbor in UK or Norway

Late to the thread, but my wife and I have wintered at Ipswich Haven Marina the past two winters. It's a convenient pace to hop off for Norway (we cruised to the Lofotens Islands last summer - spectacular!) and the Baltic which we'll cruise this summer. Fairly reasonable, around $3,000 for our 12 meter boat for 6 months. Nice facilities, very secure in a locked harbor, an hour train to London or convenient 3-hour bus direct to Heathrow. Nice town with enough to keep you interested for a season or two.

We would love to winter in Norway or the Netherlands next year but are worried about Schengen, so will likely end up back in the UK. May look at the Solent as has been suggested on this thread. If anyone knows of cruisers getting extended stay permits in Norway or Netherlands please let us know! We do a fair bit of flying in and out and I think airport officials might check our time in Schengen more carefully than if we were simply living aboard.
__________________
Juanona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2016, 03:38   #59
Moderator
 
Dockhead's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Posts: 19,750
Re: Winter harbor in UK or Norway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanona View Post
Late to the thread, but my wife and I have wintered at Ipswich Haven Marina the past two winters. It's a convenient pace to hop off for Norway (we cruised to the Lofotens Islands last summer - spectacular!) and the Baltic which we'll cruise this summer. Fairly reasonable, around $3,000 for our 12 meter boat for 6 months. Nice facilities, very secure in a locked harbor, an hour train to London or convenient 3-hour bus direct to Heathrow. Nice town with enough to keep you interested for a season or two.

We would love to winter in Norway or the Netherlands next year but are worried about Schengen, so will likely end up back in the UK. May look at the Solent as has been suggested on this thread. If anyone knows of cruisers getting extended stay permits in Norway or Netherlands please let us know! We do a fair bit of flying in and out and I think airport officials might check our time in Schengen more carefully than if we were simply living aboard.
I fly almost every week around Europe and between the Schengen Zone and the UK, carrying a U.S. passport. I haven't been checked once for Schengen time at passport control. However, since recently the airline companies are checking for Schengen time when you check in or board. They haven't actually gone through my passport, but they ask me. I guess the immigration authorities have gotten them up to that.
__________________

__________________
"Parce que je suis heureux en mer, et peut-être pour sauver mon ame. . . "
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
Norway

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WINTER COVERS SPECIAL -> PROTECT YOUR BOAT THIS WINTER Master Lex Vendor Spotlight - Great Deals for CF Members! 18 26-11-2014 04:53
Hello from Norway Lucky Meets & Greets 6 11-02-2007 22:00
North America (Canada) to Norway Thos General Sailing Forum 7 16-01-2004 14:19
No Frills Passage - Canada to Norway in '04 Thos Atlantic & the Caribbean 0 30-11-2003 01:22
Login in from Norway Gisle Forum News & Announcements 0 05-03-2003 19:38



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:52.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.