Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2016, 11:30   #16

Boat: Custom 55
Re: Winter harbor in UK or Norway

Thanks, guys.

It sounds like there are plenty of good options over there. It's funny, we have purchased a couple of cruising guides, but they're both quite dry. We really didn't get any ideas regarding the character of some of the towns we're looking at. Since we'll be showing up a bit late in the season, it's good to have some intel in hand ahead of time.

Good sailing, TJ
TJ D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2016, 11:51   #17
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

I would vote for Trondheim, my home town: About half way up the coast deep in a fjord with lots of waterfront and a few marinas. Numerous restaurants, supermarkets, pubs, etc within walking distance of the harbor.
It can be a bit chilly however...

Check with the Norwegain sailing and boat forums for local knowledge, pretty much everybody is fluent in English and as noted before, the $ exchange rate to the NOK is very favorable for the time being.

Here is a start for forums, etc: Forum - SEILmagasinet
Old 23-01-2016, 12:59   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Couple of UK marinas to have a think about:

https://www.premiermarinas.com/uk-ma...-solent-marina

https://www.premiermarinas.com/UK-Ma...wanwick-Marina

Welcome to the Marina at the Heart of Cowes

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2016, 18:01   #19

Boat: Custom 55

One more thing for the locals in the S. of England, In looking around at various marinas' websites, it seems that a 3M draft is not doable in a number of places. Does anybody have a thumbnail idea as to what percentage of facilities we can actually get into in that part of the world? We're happy to anchor, of course, but we do need to leave the boat fairly often to travel and attend to work matters.

Thanks again to all for the info.

TJ
TJ D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2016, 01:35   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ D View Post
One more thing for the locals in the S. of England, In looking around at various marinas' websites, it seems that a 3M draft is not doable in a number of places. Does anybody have a thumbnail idea as to what percentage of facilities we can actually get into in that part of the world? We're happy to anchor, of course, but we do need to leave the boat fairly often to travel and attend to work matters.

TJ
You won't have any problem if you're careful and plan for tides. All the major marinas can accommodate 3 meters AFAIK. Friends of mine have a Swan 65 with 3 meter draft, and they sail everywhere we do and have never complained about problems with draft.

We have 2.5 meters and are only draft constrained in a very few out of the way places. Lots of boats here have 3.5 and even 4 meters. Where I am now is dredged to 3.5 meters for example.

Note that minimum depths are marked as LAT, which rarely exists in reality. You might be in the mud for an hour at your berth on a really, really low spring tide somewhere, but that is not a problem. Call harbormasters if in doubt.

With the range of tide here (typically 3 to 6 meters on the UK S Coast, much more across the Channel), obviously you have to be really, really careful about planning. If you go aground near the top of a falling tide, you can be in a world of hurt. You have to be particularly careful near high tide, which is where going aground can be really dangerous. Around low tide is usually not any big deal.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2016, 03:18   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:

TJ
10ft draft no problem in Falmouth ,visitors moorings available year round about £2-300/month
marina space available for about £800 month summer,£400-600 winter.
if you can dry out alongside on your keel between tides~£250-300 month

lots of visitor pontoons and moorings up the fal and Helford rivers if you want to cruise in scenic splendour,gets busy after may.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2016, 03:26   #22
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Winter harbor in UK or Norway

Poole Harbour would also be fine but stick to the channels.. don't be tempted to follow another boat taking a short cut..
There's deep water moorings up past the commercial and Channel Ferry docks, also near the entrance with the Royal Yacht Club at Sandbanks with a splendid view of Brownsea Castle..
Fierce tide though..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2016, 08:23   #23

Boat: Vancouver 28

If you want to be further N in the UK, look at Inverness Marina. I kept a boat there from mid September through to July about 3 years ago. It is well designed to provide good shelter - no chafe on the lines through the winter and good size, robust pontoons and fingers. Plenty of boats in over the winter. Inverness has rail links (though no fast services) and a small airport.
Trumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2016, 08:31   #24

You might consider Ipswich on E coast of England. You lock into the port so is completely sheltered, all facilities in walking distance, cheaper than S.coast and well sheltered creeks and rivers with good holding and abundance of wildlife if you wish to do any winter sailing.
Its a no brainer
Slainte1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2016, 08:38   #25

Boat: Custom Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
The UK South Coast is very warm compared to Norway. I am in Cowes writing this and it is +10C, although it's already night here. It rarely freezes here (palm trees grow in Southampton; and lemons in the Scilly Isles) and you don't need to do any winterization. So it's a great place to live aboard over the winter, and you can sail all winter long.

6. Sailing community and fellowship.
I'd normally agree with Dockhead, but there's a few items I thought needed pointing out here.

It freezes regularly on the south coast of the UK. There's photos on my blog of snow all over the boat and pontoons in Dec - Feb (Chichester Harbour - east of the Solent by 10nm). Add in the wind chill and general gloom / drizzle, and it makes for a pretty miserable time Dec - Feb. The UK is getting a very warm winter this year, as are we down in Atlantic Portugal. Don't count on it happening every year.

I've sailed Florida where the OP is located, and spent enough time in the Solent, and know which sailing community I'd rather be part of! Rafting in overpriced marinas (not so much in winter, absolutely in summer) where the weather is very iffy and the water cold enough to kill you in an hour, let alone dodging all the cowboy Sunsail racers who have no respect for others cruising... give me Biscayne Bay or anywhere in the Panhandle ANY DAY.

Falmouth would be my pick if you absolutely have to stay in the UK. Great pubs, slightly milder climate, there's life happening in town and London is about 4 hours away on the train.

n
ausnp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2016, 11:46   #26

Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft

I agree with Dockhead. If you want a totally sheltered marina, you might look at Port Solent marina in Portsmouth Harbour. You might love it or hate it - lots of bars and restaurants, a cinema and health club with indoor pool, all open all year. Easy to get into Portsmouth and train links not far. Big Tesco supermarket about 10 to 15 minutes walk.

However it is behind a lock towards the top of Portsmouth Harbour so totally sheltered. Security is good also if you are leaving the boat. I draw 2 metres which is no problem - what is your draft?
Clivevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2016, 12:01   #27

Boat: Custom Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clivevon View Post
I draw 2 metres which is no problem - what is your draft?
Quote:
We are 55 feet with a 10 foot draft.

Thanks, TJ
Port Solent marina has a lot in the close surrounds but for a whole winter? Brighton has far more going for it, with better links to London.

n
ausnp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2016, 12:36   #28

Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft

Port Solent can take 10 ft draft - has taken up to 3.5 metres in the past - but berths that deep are very few and you would need to check well ahead to make sure they had space available. Here is the weblink:

https://www.premiermarinas.com/uk-ma...FcG4GwodL5kITg

Obviously there are lots of other options on the UK south coast and also on the east coast (essex, suffolk) but 10 ft draft would be much more of an issue there.

London - St, Katherines Yacht Haven is right by Tower Bridge & Tower of London. Lock Access only at high tide and not sure about draft there.

If you are that far north you could also check out Whitby in Yorkshire - home of Captain Cook.

The thing about Port Solent is that it is very developed so good for winter amenities, and leads on to sheltered sailing water and all the other delights of the Solent - all the other harbours.

Good luck and have fun thinking about your options!
Clivevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2016, 15:50   #29

Boat: Kadey Krogen '42

I had looked at all the options mentioned above.
Schengen became a big issue, so Norway and the Continent were out.

That left the UK and Ireland.

Waterford, Ireland wins hands down.
Cost for 6 months is LESS than 400 Euros.
Deep draft in river that keeps water fresh all the time.
People are the nicest I have ever met anyplace in Europe.
Dublin, Ryan Air and US flights are a bus ride away and the bus is a 5 minute walk from your boat.

You can not beat that ease of travelling in any other place.

email me if you want more info and I'll call you.

Richard in NYC
Dauntlessny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2016, 01:31   #30

Boat: Bavaria 42 Cruiser

I love the Solent - was there for 10 years at Lymington Yacht Haven, but a few years ago moved to the Mayflower Marina in Plymouth and would never go back! Better cruising, half the cost, nicer people and superb facilities (especially if you need any work doping while you're there - no 'rip-off' tradesmen feasting like vultures on the 'boaties'!!

Tags
Norway