Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2019, 03:11   #31

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Why not Croatia? Why Croatia?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgw50 View Post
Family of 5 (Ages 38, 36, 12, 11, 5) from the U.S. bought a cat in Lefkada Greece (West coast just below Corfu), starting sailing May 14th and wanting to cross the Atlantic this November.

Given that we are limited to only 3 months in Schengen countries I had planned on spending a couple months in Croatia. The islands and water look beautiful, we had a great time there boat shopping last November, and it allows us to stay in Schengen compliance.

Most of the time when I mention this to other cruisers everyone talks about how expensive and crowded it is. I had assumed the entire Med was expensive and crowded in the summer months. We are on a budget and while we found land based provisions / lodging in Croatia to be reasonably priced, I wonder if these warnings are worth heeding.

I'd love to hear opinions on cruising Croatia in the months of June / July / beginning of August. Interested in the good and bad.

Thanks!

The entire Med is a big place -- so not by any means all crowded and expensive.

I would personally avoid sailing in Croatia in August -- having made that mistake myself and finding it very crowded. June and July should be fine. You will not find marina berthing to be cheap at all, and sail-tourism in general is much more expensive in Croatia than doing it on land. In many places you can't even anchor for free. But it's a gorgeous place and I wouldn't miss it.

Turkey, just the other side of the Aegean, is also out of Schengen, and even more not to be missed than Croatia, IMHO. These days a good bit cheaper and less crowded (the coastline is huge of course) than Croatia, and with spectacular cruising and spectacular land tourism, too. It would be ridiculous to be in that part of the world for a few months and not spend a good bit of time in Turkey. In my opinion, Turkey is more developed and more civilized than Croatia, with better developed and cheaper infrastructure for cruisers, some of the best yacht repair services in the world, fantastic food, and exceptionally friendly people. I spent a few summers cruising in Turkey and that was one of the highlights of my cruising life.

So if I were you, I would spend time in BOTH of these places, and that will take care of your non-Schengen time, but I would probably give more weight to Turkey, where there is more to do and see, and which is cheaper and less crowded. Just beware of the August Meltemi winds, which can be pretty fierce.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2019, 03:18   #32
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Why not Croatia? Why Croatia?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc1 View Post
Turkey today is definitely OUT .
Why.???

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2019, 04:51   #33

Boat: Boatless at the moment

Please let everyone believe its true, enough tourism as well on land as on the beautiful Turkish Riviera blue water....!!
Old 22-04-2019, 02:02   #34

We have just sailed from Greece to Croatia, we are into our sixth night here in Croatia.

Have anchored off Lopud, Mljet, Korcula and are now in Scedro. Haven't paid for anchoring, but never go to marina's. There is many places to anchor for free if you do your research (it's not high season however). I feel that if we do struggle to find an anchorage we will visit a restaurant and moor for free (haven't done this yet). I feel the whole coast is amazing, we loved Turkey, Greece, will head to Montenegro next after Croatia. Wiki cruiser, navionics all give great anchoring options.

I would love to visit Albania but feel there are few anchoring options which will make the experiences less enjoyable.

I will link our video below of our trip from Corfu to Dubrovnik, it also shows current costs of tourist tax/cruising permit which is pretty expensive. I will also document where we anchor and costs if that helps. Best of luck with your trip

chook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2019, 04:57   #35

We've chartered extensively in Croatia in the last few years, have two trips coming up there this year and are on track savings/job wise to buy a boat there in around 18m.

Lots of good advice on here. One tip, that we hope the freedom of our own boat will allow us, is around charters being Saturday to Saturday.

That means if you do want to use marinas some of the time, that Sun-Thur the charter base towns have a lot more space, and some marinas even offer discounts.

The flip side is that the islands are much quieter on Friday and Saturday nights, and further away ones still quieter than other nights on Sundays, as the charter boats are in base or haven't made it that far. Obviously you still get boat-owners and two-week charters and so on out there regardless of day, but the charter fleets do move to a certain beat that you can avoid, if you prefer
bellasailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2019, 07:33   #36

Boat: Jeanneau 43ds

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellasailor View Post
We've chartered extensively in Croatia in the last few years, have two trips coming up there this year and are on track savings/job wise to buy a boat there in around 18m.

Lots of good advice on here. One tip, that we hope the freedom of our own boat will allow us, is around charters being Saturday to Saturday.

That means if you do want to use marinas some of the time, that Sun-Thur the charter base towns have a lot more space, and some marinas even offer discounts.

The flip side is that the islands are much quieter on Friday and Saturday nights, and further away ones still quieter than other nights on Sundays, as the charter boats are in base or haven't made it that far. Obviously you still get boat-owners and two-week charters and so on out there regardless of day, but the charter fleets do move to a certain beat that you can avoid, if you prefer
Yes, the outer islands are less crowded and less developed. Most places on or near thecoast get a bit packed in july & Aug but if you hv to go there i usually manage to find a nice spot to anchor. While anchoring is mostly free it is so much better than a marina bec yr boat will naturally face the wind and you will get a welcoming fresh draft throughout your boat.
Gruz: i think i beat you. My first experience of Croatia was in 1965 as a student with a Croatian GF. Saw many of the islands using local ferries all the way. Some spots might be expensive but you do not hv to go there. Problem rests w the Croatian Ministry of Turism who have taken the excuse of a tourist tax to heavily tax sailors, much more than tourists on land. Seems you made up yr mind and do not wish to be confused by facts.
Andrew
Old 26-04-2019, 07:03   #37

Boat: Nordship 38
Send a message via ICQ to jbrasseul

I sailed a lot in Croatia, and even bought there my last boat. It is beautiful, not a lot of wind in Summer, except the bora. The marinas are expensive but there are a lot of places to anchor. The great plus is there is no swell, always an island to protect you, and sailing is so smooth and easy.
jbrasseul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2019, 07:37   #38

Boat: Motor Yacht, SanLorenzo 72 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toys_with_time View Post
Have to say that overall we did not like Croatia. We crossed into northern Croatia from Venice then sailed down the length of the country and went to Montenegro. When we arrived in the North and checked in we said wow what a wonderful place - friendly people, reasonable prices and good food. As we sailed south it deteriorated - food become bland and boring, greed for money seemed to be the dominant factor and we got the distinct impression that the locals had had enough of tourists. We would anchor in a beautiful bay and someone would row out and say this is my bay, pay up. Tie up to a crowded wall and pay nose bleed prices without water or electricity. Went to their one decent stretch of sand that they use in all the adverts - got attacked by wasps. In comparison we loved Montenegro and would second the opinion on Turkey - an amazing place to cruise (and enjoy the Greek islands on the way there and back). Never going back to Croatia.

TwT
Black Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2019, 07:47   #39

Boat: 1978 Mainship 34 Sedan Trawler MK1

Not sailing, motoring. But was in Dobrovnik and loved it. Wanted to move there. People are wonderful, climate is wonderful, food is wonderful.
jimisbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2019, 11:36   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I'll be sailing down the coast of Croatia beginning May 20, maybe we can meet up around Dubrovnik or Montenegro on our way to Greece.

Kenomac: We'll also be sailing that area May 25 to June 1 aboard a charter Helia 44 named "Lounge", starting from Slano. My fourth Croatia sail. Sending you a PM.
edsml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2019, 12:57   #41

Boat: Dufour 385

Croatian fan. They spent a lot years under communism and now get the idea of capitalism. You have money, you are OK. You want cheap, look elsewhere. But the islands are spectacular, with great sailing.
Bunnellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2019, 19:02   #42

Boat: between boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunnellr View Post
Croatian fan. They spent a lot years under communism and now get the idea of capitalism. You have money, you are OK. You want cheap, look elsewhere. But the islands are spectacular, with great sailing.
Yep classic case of glass half full. "I am welcome I have money"

Glass half empty " we are little more than walking wallets to be emptied"

My first time there was 95 so not as experienced as some but safe to say like all popular destinations it has been loved to death and is not a patch on its former glory.

There is a large difference in attitude between the loved to death bits and the less frequented areas.

Sad to see and maybe why I'm in the glass half empty camp on Croatia.
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2019, 02:32   #43

Boat: Catana 47 hull no 1 ex Leopard 40 (2009) & Crownline 250CR

Hey also don’t forget Slovenia at the top end of the Adriatic nestled in between Croatia and Italy.
I might be biased as my partner is from there but Coper and Istra are beautiful cities. Not more expensive than other European cities.
MikeFergie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2019, 03:30   #44

Boat: Jeanneau 43ds

At the time when all the states were combined together by Tito as Yugoslavia, it was Slovenia which was already ahead of the pack. Business relationships excellent and reliable and of course they were the first to split from Yugoslavia. Only prblm is that Slovenia only has a v short coastline and most of the time i have not found it worthwhile to stop and go through the check-IN/check-OUT for such a short stretch even though i agree with Mike that it is wonderful. Worth visiting if you have the time. You can in fact get very much the same on the rest of the Istrian peninsular which is Croatia and thereby avoid the check-IN/check-OUT procedures.
Andrew
"Genial Bee"
PS: for Mike: If Slovenia is so good what on earth are you doing in Moz?
Old 29-04-2019, 06:13   #45

Boat: Catana 47 hull no 1 ex Leopard 40 (2009) & Crownline 250CR

Work actually, but my partner says if she never has to have another SNOW day in winter she is happy [emoji38].
We also don’t really have a winter in Mozambique, warm weather, warm sea and 365 days a year of sailing, so I don’t understand the term “ sailing season” or winterising a boat [emoji23]
MikeFergie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Croatia