Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2013, 03:45   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohat View Post

Thanks for the valuable input!
We are considering Ist-Cap(3days)-Izmir drive to Marmaris (7 days sail, 1 day Ephesus) and fly back to Ist from either Izmir or Dalaman. Researching flights now. They seem reasonable. Any suggestions of how to get from Izmir to Ephesus to Marmaris? We are actually thinking of a tour company if such a thing exists or renting a one way van. With 6 people sometimes tour company's are very reasonable compared to buses. Any suggestions are much appreciated.
How are you planning to get from IST to Cap and then Izmir? I would fly to Ankara or Kaiseri, go to Cap, then Marmaris, then Izmir. The only transfers I would prepare ahead of the trip would be Ankara/Kaiseri-Cap-Marmaris. When we went, our hotel in Cap (Dervish Cave) suggested to organize our transfer. It would have costed us something like 150 Euro from Fethyie by ourselves for an air conditioned van. Sorry, but don't remember the exact price. So I would talk to your hotel in Cap about organizing your airport - Cap and Cap - Marmaris transfers. Why? They already know yu and can bargain about the discount because you're already staying at their hotel and you're asking about two(!) long distance transfers. Don't accept anything less than 10 percent Oh, and if you book hot air balloon rides with them (oh so expensive, but truly an experience of a lifetime and for six people worth to get a VIP ride so that there are only 6-8 people in the balloon instead of 20) you might be able to get your transfers for free... Bargain, bargain, bargain

From Marmaris you could just take a tour to Ephesus and then fly out of Dalaman. or get a private tour on a van that would take you to Izmir after (don't forget to bargain because it's six people . With the privat tour you could also stop at Temple of Artemis - gorgeous and not well known place right near Ephesus. I would figure out the private tour once you're in Marmaris or, if you liked your hotel in Cap, ask them for suggestion. there are enough flights out of Izmir and Dalaman each day that you can buy tickets once you're in Turkey.

Note that for domestic flights I'd fly in out of the same airport as your international flight. For the hotels I would find the hotel I want, find the price online, then call and book directly with the hotel as you're six people and you can bargain or get better rooms for the same price

P.S. please excuse typing errors, stupid iPad keyboard.
P.P.S. if flying into Ankara/Kaiseri, I would suggest men wearing long pants and ladies in your company to not wear revealing clothes, like tank tops or shorts. You'll feel more comfortable there...
Katiusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 04:08   #17

Boat: Nantucket 33
Hmmmm Turkey sailing is not very good. They don't go to windward very well their ballast is a bit funny and overall I'd rather sail a goose or a duck any day.
Now I don't know what everybody else is talking about but I definitely recommend sailing a boat their much less fowl.
I hope that helps ;-)
mischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 18:24   #18

Re: Turkey sailing questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by mischief View Post
Hmmmm Turkey sailing is not very good. They don't go to windward very well their ballast is a bit funny and overall I'd rather sail a goose or a duck any day.
Now I don't know what everybody else is talking about but I definitely recommend sailing a boat their much less fowl.
I hope that helps ;-)

Sorry but I have to disagree. You are absolutely wrong. You must have misunderstood. You are speaking of sailing ON a turkey. The discussion is sailing IN turkey. Sailing in turkey provides a lower centre of gravity, better ballast and a beautiful warm insulated ride.
rohat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 18:41   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiusha View Post
How are you planning to get from IST to Cap and then Izmir? I would fly to Ankara or Kaiseri, go to Cap, then Marmaris, then Izmir. The only transfers I would prepare ahead of the trip would be Ankara/Kaiseri-Cap-Marmaris. When we went, our hotel in Cap (Dervish Cave) suggested to organize our transfer. It would have costed us something like 150 Euro from Fethyie by ourselves for an air conditioned van. Sorry, but don't remember the exact price. So I would talk to your hotel in Cap about organizing your airport - Cap and Cap - Marmaris transfers. Why? They already know yu and can bargain about the discount because you're already staying at their hotel and you're asking about two(!) long distance transfers. Don't accept anything less than 10 percent Oh, and if you book hot air balloon rides with them (oh so expensive, but truly an experience of a lifetime and for six people worth to get a VIP ride so that there are only 6-8 people in the balloon instead of 20) you might be able to get your transfers for free... Bargain, bargain, bargain

From Marmaris you could just take a tour to Ephesus and then fly out of Dalaman. or get a private tour on a van that would take you to Izmir after (don't forget to bargain because it's six people . With the privat tour you could also stop at Temple of Artemis - gorgeous and not well known place right near Ephesus. I would figure out the private tour once you're in Marmaris or, if you liked your hotel in Cap, ask them for suggestion. there are enough flights out of Izmir and Dalaman each day that you can buy tickets once you're in Turkey.

Note that for domestic flights I'd fly in out of the same airport as your international flight. For the hotels I would find the hotel I want, find the price online, then call and book directly with the hotel as you're six people and you can bargain or get better rooms for the same price

P.S. please excuse typing errors, stupid iPad keyboard.
P.P.S. if flying into Ankara/Kaiseri, I would suggest men wearing long pants and ladies in your company to not wear revealing clothes, like tank tops or shorts. You'll feel more comfortable there...

Thanks for info! Much appreciated.
We will be flying Ist-Cap-Izmir, drive to Marmaris, fly out of Dalaman. (Unless there are better solutions available)

It seems Pegasus airlines are the go airline for in Turkey. Any suggestions on best way to book these one way, open jaw flights? I tried calling but could not get through and the website does not allow for open jaw flights. any websites suggestions?

Thanks again.
Old 07-04-2013, 18:53   #20

Boat: Colin Archer 36', steel

I use fly.co.uk to check most available flight options. Then source through actual airline for best deals. The site covers a lot of worldwide airlines ( not all, but most ). Pegasus or Sun Express seem to be your two most convenient options for hops within country. I am sure there are others that I not know about.
Old 07-04-2013, 18:54   #21

I think I have settled on a Fountaine Pajot Belize 43 Cat out of Marmaris for one week.
Old 07-04-2013, 20:12   #22

Boat: Nantucket 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohat

Sorry but I have to disagree. You are absolutely wrong. You must have misunderstood. You are speaking of sailing ON a turkey. The discussion is sailing IN turkey. Sailing in turkey provides a lower centre of gravity, better ballast and a beautiful warm insulated ride.
Okay I see, it wasn't clear to me before. Yes I agree if sailing in a turkey it is better than on a duck. But I still prefer in a goose. Do we at lest agree its better than sailing a cat. Sheesh cats don't even like water so I'm confused what all the fuss is about ;-) okay ducking now....... Pun intended I just hope nobody gets their feathers ruffled. Mmmm now I feel like getting some KFC.
mischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 07:56   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohat View Post

Thanks for info! Much appreciated.
We will be flying Ist-Cap-Izmir, drive to Marmaris, fly out of Dalaman. (Unless there are better solutions available)

It seems Pegasus airlines are the go airline for in Turkey. Any suggestions on best way to book these one way, open jaw flights? I tried calling but could not get through and the website does not allow for open jaw flights. any websites suggestions?

Thanks again.
If I remember correctly, Pegasus flies in and out of Sabiha Gokcen airport. From Canada you'll most likely be flying into Ataturk. It'll be a PITA to change airports, especially with Istanbul traffic. Find domestic flights that fly to THE SAME airport as your international flight.

Major domestic airlines are Turkish Airlines, Anadolu Jet, Onur Air, Atlas Jet, and Pegasus. Google and book directly on their website.
Old 12-04-2013, 12:20   #24

Boat: Vector. SAS 39

Hi Rohat,
Izmir airport to Ephesus about 45mins on motorway (make sure the hire car has a 'visa' for the road tolls) Whilst there a walk through the, impressive, ruins will take 1-1/12 hrs.
Then drive to Selcuck, about 20mins, an old greek village in the hills (wine producing country) several small hotels there.
Marmaris is a two day drive from Ephesus, not much of the road is dual carraigway, so consider a flight from Izmir to Marmaris direct. Either Turkish airlines or Pegasus airlines. Pegasus being the locals choice as it is usually cheaper!
Enjoy the trip!
sahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 12:36   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahil View Post
Hi Rohat,
Izmir airport to Ephesus about 45mins on motorway (make sure the hire car has a 'visa' for the road tolls) Whilst there a walk through the, impressive, ruins will take 1-1/12 hrs.
Then drive to Selcuck, about 20mins, an old greek village in the hills (wine producing country) several small hotels there.
Marmaris is a two day drive from Ephesus, not much of the road is dual carraigway, so consider a flight from Izmir to Marmaris direct. Either Turkish airlines or Pegasus airlines. Pegasus being the locals choice as it is usually cheaper!
Enjoy the trip!
With all due respect, not sure how you could take two days to drive from Ephesus to Marmaris... Selcuk - Aydin = 40 min, Aydin - Gokova = 2.5 - 3.5 hours depending on trucks, Gokova - Marmaris = 40 min.
Old 12-04-2013, 12:45   #26

Boat: Vector. SAS 39

I stand, humbly, corrected. Confusing my coastal ports.

Strike journey time Ephesus to Marmaris.

I normally go by sea anyway.
sahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 12:53   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiusha View Post
If I remember correctly, Pegasus flies in and out of Sabiha Gokcen airport. From Canada you'll most likely be flying into Ataturk. It'll be a PITA to change airports, especially with Istanbul traffic. Find domestic flights that fly to THE SAME airport as your international flight.

Major domestic airlines are Turkish Airlines, Anadolu Jet, Onur Air, Atlas Jet, and Pegasus. Google and book directly on their website.
thanks. These airlines are not listed on the common resellers like expedia.
Old 12-04-2013, 13:27   #28

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 35

Pegasus Airlines

This is the Pegasus airlines official page. You will need your credit card and passport number to book online.

In Istanbul, as Katiusha said, give two hours of transfer time between two airports (Ataturk/Turkish Airlines - Sabiha Gokcen/Pegasus airlines) and note you have to be in the airport at least 1.5 hours prior to flight time. You can make it 2 hrs as well because you will go through two separate security lines most of the time.
sycankiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 13:29   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahil View Post
I stand, humbly, corrected. Confusing my coastal ports.

Strike journey time Ephesus to Marmaris.

I normally go by sea anyway.
The best way to go. We haven't ventured north of Yalikavak on the fear of fish farms seen from the plane and the road. Do you find it a problem when sailing that area?
Old 12-04-2013, 13:31   #30

Any experiences, sources or recommendations for catamaran charters would be much appreciated. There seems to be to many to choose from! If they are all good I suppose its not a problem. If they are mostly bad it's a crap shoot.

Tags
sailing, Turkey