Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-06-2011, 08:30   #1

Summer Route thru Cyclades

I plan to charter a 38' cat from Lavrion for 2 weeks in Aug. I'm a bit confused about the direction one should sail thru the islands that time of year. It appears, based on what I can find on wind speed and direction, it would be best to sail SE from Lavrion and take a counter clockwise route. But some of the itineraries I see take a clockwise route. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Mako_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2011, 12:26   #2

Boat: Bavaria 37
Re: Summer Route thru Cyclades

Hi !
The fact is sailing thru Cyclades in Aug. could be a little windy if the Meltemi is blowing .... And you cannot know it before being there. Some years, it is no problem, some years you can stay in Lavrio for a week waiting for the authorization to leave the port (from Port Authorities). Two years ago (I was there in Lavrio), even the Ferry Boats were nor allowed to leave for 5 days....
You have to know that Lavrio is a very windy spot (not far from Kafiras strait which is one of the most windy spots of Greece with Ak Maleas , south of Peloponesis) and that it happens, many times a year, that sailing back from South to Lavrio is simply impossible. A lot of charter companies have professional skippers they use to sail back their charter-boats when the crews don't succeed to do it by themselves).. They make a lot of money with this business!!!
So, clockwise route or not ? It is difficult to answer now. I think it is better issue because the Saronic Gulf is far less windy than Kafiras or Kea Straits . And Aegina, Poros, Hydra, ...aso, are very beautiffull islands too... So your choices are more important.... But the weather forecasts will decide for you. I recommend : Poseidon, Zygrib, and the Greek Meteo (that is not so bad in fact)...
Enjoy it .
Jacques2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2011, 07:07   #3

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman

Why take a circular route? Why not reach east - the prevailing winds will be from the north - and reach back?
If you are worried - and there are thousands who charter each summer in this region who do not have issues - then I'd take the suggestion above and go southwest into the Saronic Gulf.
Enjoy
JOHN
Old 22-06-2011, 12:49   #4

Boat: Bavaria 37

Hi !
To reach East means Kea, Andros, Tinos... It means sailing west to get back to Lavrio... In August ? Sure, anyway there are period of calm weather all along the year...
And when you are retired and living a long time on your own boat, it is not a problem (I was in Tinos a few weeks ago and it was quite comfortable to wait for better conditions: we rented a car and visited the island...) . But when you charter a boat for a short time (I did it for the first time in Lavrio in 1978 and I had to stay in the port !) it could be different IMHO.
So circular or not, East or SW, the most important for those who do not know this aera is to understand that the weather can change very very quickly ...
Jacques2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Cyclades