Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2010, 19:45   #1

Boat: custom built aluminium, 60ft - FAST FORWARD
Just How Expensive / Inexpensive Is the Med ?

Hello all!

We're in Asia and keep hearing conflicting stories about the cost of general cruising in the Med. Could someone please be so kind as to shed some light on just how expensive/inexpensive it is... we realise it's a huge area, but just general costs in possibly the more popular areas would give us a better idea of what to expect, i.e marinas; diesel; haulout; hard stand; cost of living (mid range, nothing too extravagant)? Is Turkey really cheap - and what's "really cheap"? What about being in Portugal?

Thank you all for your time!!!!

Cheers!
Audrey & Ken......
Fast Forward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 14:15   #2

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra
Fast Forward
FYI, Portugal isn't on the Med, it's on the Atlantic ocean (on the other side of Spain).

Alain
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 00:45   #3

ALAIN

I am very aware of this. I did not want to start a geography lesson, I was merely asking a simple question.

FYI Andorra, Jordan, Portugal, San Marina, the Vatican City, Macedonia and Serbia although they do not border the sea, are often considered Mediterranean countries in a wider sense due to their Mediterranean climate, fauna and flora, and/or their cultural affinity with other Mediterranean countries.

Old 04-05-2010, 00:56   #4
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Hi guys

I hope you are well!

I can't give you much on prices yet as we are still in shock. Well, not really, but its more expensive than before. Diesel is US$2.09 but then theres not as much motoriing.

The only marina we thought of stopping in after the trip from Egypt wanted 52 Euros for one night. This wwas at Fetheyia. Naturally we anchored right outside for free
They work on a square meter measurement of LOA x beam so ours is 45 sq meters. aprox 1.15 euros per sq m.

I understand it gets much cheaper for long term boats but thats not our game.

Haulout prices are:

yatlift.com
Haulout/Washing bottom/Storage 1 week/Launching......................710 €

(For the period of 1 june/31 August you will have 50 % summer discount=355 €)

Marmaris Netsel ( a very slick marina)
On land one or two weeks (april, may, june one week, july, august, september two weeks) staying + Lifting&Launching campaign price is 367.-Euro

But their dialy prices for marina are the same at Fetheyia at 52 euros/sqm

As for the rest of Europe, I dunno

Eastern Europe many more anchorages than France, spain and Italy.

Mark
PS Nic says HI!!!!!!!!!!!!

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 00:58   #5

Boat: Between boats
Send a message via MSN to Hampus
I've never done any cruising in the Med, only racing. I've done some reading and research though so take my info for what it is. Some is based on real facts from friends and other cruisers, some is just "read". I'm sure others will chip in too.

Marina prices vary greatly from free at city docks to $250+ / night where the rich and famous go. Hauling out and storing your boat 6 months over winter is on avarage $4000 for a 40ft boat in northern Greece/Italy (real life figures from last season, that particular boat was stored in Italy and all service was included).

Find and ask "MarkJ" on this forum. I'm sure he can tell you what you want to know from a cruising perspective. They are in the Med right now.

/Hampus
Old 04-05-2010, 00:59   #6

Boat: Between boats
Send a message via MSN to Hampus
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Hi guys

I hope you are well!
Or he'll find you
If you need info on northern Europe... THEN I can help

/Hampus
Old 04-05-2010, 01:08   #7
Long Range Cruiser

One other thing that we are just chatting about..

You guys enjoy a decent passage and that may be a key to Europe (along with your watermaker) because even if the anchorages are few and far between they are still within your range (and ours) where the day hoppers would be in trouble.

One small fishing port we stayed at was US$5 per day well off the toursit track. Another little one was $30; and then one for free (but you would not have fit in).
Now as we are heading south to the more touristy areas its going to be all anchoring except for getting water.

Old 04-05-2010, 02:23   #8
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Coastal Turkey is not cheap anywhere anymore!! I dont think anywhere is in the area-i suppose you will be in more shock the futher West you go
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 02:58   #9
Long Range Cruiser

From Nic - Sea Life

Hi Auds & Ken,

We have found Turkey to be expensive as far as marinas, fuel and some restaurants go. But as far as the cost of general living we have found this to be affordable (esp. for our tight budget!). I have found the prices of most basic essentials fairly similar to Australian ones if that helps you compare.

We have been shopping at the local supermarkets and fruit and veggies markets in Fethieye, and further North in Kabatepe, Bozcaada Island and Beheram Kale (Ancient Assos) so far.

To give you and idea on some basics approx prices for our fresh food so far in Turkey (in $):

Cheese 400g - approx $5 -6 (for soft cheese the local feta is very cheap)
Tomatoes- $1.80 per kilo
Oranges - $1.70 per kilo
Potatoes - $1.40 per kilo
Fresh bread - 50 cents per loaf
Milk - $1.70 per liter
Whole roast fresh chicken - $6.50
Eggs - 1 dozen (12) $4
Beer - $2.10 per 500ml bottle or can
Wine starts at about $5 per (1 liter) bottle and upwards
Yoghurt 1 kg - $2.50 - $3
Pasta - from about 50 cents a 500 g bag and upwards

We have found most supermarket items to be affordable, especially the local brands. Canned tuna is a bit more expensive here than in Asia.

Chicken is cheap here as in Asia, but beef is very expensive about $30 per kilogram from what we have seen depending on the cut and quality.

Fish seems to be expensive in some of the nice waterfront restaurants (but everything is expensive there anyway!), but you can get a nice yoghurt dill and garlic dip and small tapas type dishes with bread for approx $3.5 per item sometimes. Also some of the more local, cheaper restaurants in the older/local villages are great and you can get a simple meal for approx $7 plus drinks (beer usually about $3.50 & a soft drink $1.50).

We got lovely fresh whole trout in Fethieye at the Carrefour supermarket for only $1.40 each. They were just delicious! Sometimes you can find some great bargins.

Hope you are having fun in Malaysia! I will send you via email some more info when we get to the busier tourist areas, and Greece etc over the next few months.

SmilesJ

Nic
Sea Life

Old 04-05-2010, 08:50   #10

Thank you RAM and HAMPUS for your imput... much appreciated!!

Mark and Nic!! Fancy meeting you here!! We miss your mugs around this neck of the woods! Hats off to the two of you for getting on with following your dream....

Guys thanks for the info - I guess I could simply have dropped you an email! Sounds like you are having an absolute ball... keep the emails coming Nic - we love reading about your adventures! We're headed east...

Fair winds...
Old 04-05-2010, 09:52   #11
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Spain and Portugal here...
Lots of anchorages in the Balearic's...free.. in Spain take advantage of one of the good things Franco did and make your main meal out Lunch and the Menu del Dia.. basically a 3 course meal usually accompanied by a litre of the local wine and a bottle Gaseosa(Fizzy drink). Its a regulated price that guarantees a decent meal at an affordable price to all... if its busy go in.. if not stay away..lol. Some restaurants do it in the evening but not many..
For your evening out go to the Spanish tapa's bars... not the tourist ones.. there you'll get a beer or glass of wine for 1euro and a tapa thrown in.. many have a blackboard with a long list like Chorizo, Batata Bravas, peppers in olive oil, Carne e Batata.. etc, etc..
The secret is if they're all ex-pats/tourists don't go in... it'll cost you if you do... they're on a 2 week blow out.. your not.
Anchorages further along few and far between, some no longer allowed. In places like Cartagena and others there's the marina and there's the jetty/pier run by the local council.. usually 40/50% cheaper..

Gib.. only marinas but you can anchor the other side of the runway off La Linea, Spain in sheltered water with good holding and depths of 6-12ft.
Western Spain has a few anchorages and Portugals Algarve has 6 and the Guadiana along its short length.
Food is not that expensive as long as your not after fillet mignon steaks..lol. Wine starts at 1euro a bottle and beer 2euros/6pack.. slightly dearer than Spain... different taxes.
Marina's vary.. Algarve 3mths high season will cost near as much as you'll pay for the remaining 9mths.. never will figure out the mentality of the 'Economic Brains" that run these international rip offs..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 11:09   #12

Boat: a sailing boat
We have been to the neighborhood of Gibraltar - West and East side. East of G it was bloody expensive and noisy. West of G it was nice and quiet and predominantly expensive with single very cheap spots (and also some possibility of anchoring in rivers and lagoons (very, very polluted)).

I liked the E side a lot, but there is no quality there - you get to live on the cheap OK just it ends up a very basic lifestyle that will not fit many.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 00:47   #13

Thanks for the heads-up BOATMAN61 and BARNAKIEL! Much appreciated!!
Old 05-05-2010, 04:04   #14
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
The same is true in France marinas in high season will be close to 50 euros per day some cheaper some dearer however lots anchor out in the bays but this isn't great in the odd summer storm!

Again food and eating out can be very reasonable use the "formule" ( fixed price) menus lunch can be 1O-15 euros a head Inc wine. Avoid the obvious upmarket places. Food bought in the local supermarket is reasonable and priced rather like the previous poster. Fish and high quality meat can be v expensive. We found we could live on about 25 euros a day ex marina fees in the cote d, azure and this included the odd meal out.

Dave
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 16:08   #15

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Hi Guys,
Just as you'd avoid the restaurants around Circular Quay because of high tourist prices, you'll save a bundle if you avoid all 'sea front' restaurants right around the Med. Even in Turkish cities if you sit down one street back from the main drag you'll pay as much as half the mainstreet prices. And you can ALWAYS negotiate even off published prices - especially wine.
Same same if you buy unpackaged products from local markets as opposed to packs or tins from supermarkets.
We've found this applies from France to Portugal to Spain to Italy to Greece to Turkey to Egypt and then back!
Not saying we are adverse to the odd high spend night out - but facts are you can avoid them if you need or want to to.
Enjoy and good luck
JOHN