Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-07-2013, 03:27   #1

Croatia in October

Hi, I'm a recently-qualified Day Skipper looking to organise my first flotilla trip, to Croatia in October. Any recommendations for destinations at that time of year, and flotilla operators to choose from?
bluekieran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2013, 01:23   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Charter vessels!
Re: Croatia in October

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluekieran View Post
Hi, I'm a recently-qualified Day Skipper looking to organise my first flotilla trip, to Croatia in October. Any recommendations for destinations at that time of year, and flotilla operators to choose from?
Summer will be over, though the sea will be warm. Expect periods of unsettled weather with some spectacular thunderstorms. Unless winter is very late arriving.
jckb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2013, 01:33   #3

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Athena 11.6m Rapa Nui II
Re: Croatia in October

The weather can be fantastic or very mixed with increased likelihood of poor weather the later you sail. A lot of places on the islands effectively close down from beginning of October as people migrate back to Split, Zadar, Zabreb etc for the winter. Good news is that you will often have decent winds for sailing and there may not be anyone to take your money on town quays, bad news is that they may remove the buoys and lazylines, turn power and water off or boats will be overwintering with 4 lazylines each taking much of the available space. Not all marinas stay open all year round Many restaurants will be shut for the winter and pretty well all those with their own moorings. Water will still be warmish, air temperature can vary considerably.

What you will have is the place pretty much to yourself.

Recommendations will obviously depend on your charter base. Use 777 Harbours and Anchorages to pick places particularly to anchor, with a view to the likely and possible weather. Religiously monitor the Croatia VHF weather broadcasts and act on them. I would ask your charter base for info on what places are open and suggestions and/or come back here with details as quite a few people on this forum have sailed or overwintered in Croatia.
Rapanui is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Croatia