Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-09-2010, 21:42   #1

Best Area(s) in Turkey to Charter ?

Hello. My husband and I would like to charter a bareboat in Turkey next spring and would love some input on where to go. I tried Googling but wasn't able to find any sites with information that would be helpful in figuring out exactly where we might like to go.

We won't have a lot of time, so we'll probably only be able to cruise for a week to 10 days.

Any suggestions?

We're also open to chartering in Italy, if that seems like a better option.
Old 20-09-2010, 04:54   #2

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Hi,
IMHO Turkey could be the better choice.
There are lots of charter companies based out of the busier south and west facing Med coast tourist places like Turgutreis, Bodrum, Gocek, Marmaris - but I think there is a Sunsail base at a tucked away in a village called Orhaniye (pronounced Or-han-yee) not far from Marmaris but on the southern shore of a nicely empty but big gulf you could easily loose yourself in for a week or ten days spending most nights at anchor or moored to restaurants freebie rickety jetties. The Sunsail base I saw once was just around the top right end of the bay shown in this banner photo - Welcome to Orhaniye, Bozburun Peninsula, Marmaris, Turkey | Luxury Turkish Villas to Holiday Pensions and if you are to charter in Turkey I would go with the bigger boys like Sunsail or Moorings.

Enjoy

JOHN
Old 20-09-2010, 05:42   #3

Boat: next one awaited
I have just returned from a week in Turkey around the Bozburun peninsula

Sunsail and Sunset flots were out and about

Its a great cruising area with easy sails from bays to small towns like Bozburun and Datca.Bozburun was £16 for a 48 footer but in all places you can anchor for free; if you eat at one of the pontoon establishments mooring up will be free and you can use heads and showers

you also have the option of some Greek Islands such as Simi and Rhodes
slipstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2010, 17:58   #4

Gocek

Hi , we sailed from Gocek to Kas and Kalkan , really very nice and good sailing, lots of places and beautiful towns. We sailed for 10 days with sunsail in June. Try that
MIMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2010, 15:07   #5

Apologies, all, for the tardy response. This is all helpful input. Thanks! If anyone else wants to chime in, please do. I'd love input about favorite anchorages, places to avoid, good/bad chartering experiences, food experiences, touristy spots to stay away from......

Cheers.
Old 30-09-2010, 15:14   #6
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
for a short trip I would reccomend hiring in Gocek and sailing around scopia limani , also the town of Fethyie is worth a visit especially on market day.

SUnsail and Ekker yachts amongst other are in Gocek.

dave
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 10:33   #7

For 10 days i suggest to charter ONE WAY from BODRUM to FETHYE by doing this
you can see a lot more from the coast and i am very sure you will enjoy it, great
sailing area !
By the way both BODRUM has an airport and Fethye has the airport DALAMAN near by.
lampe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 23:28   #8

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Hi,
If you do choose to charter on the busier Med coast then a favoured spot for us is Kekova.
It's a land locked lagoon increadibly well sheltered, wooded all round, and the small local village works hard at retaining it's old style. Ibrahim is the mayor, he and his brother own two of the restaurants. Truly welcoming.
Hundreds of sargophacii dotted around the surrounding hills, overlooked by Kale Koy castle, and if you visit the island directly outside the lagoon entry you'll find more ruins, plus a complete sunken city running along its norther shore. In times past the island was the main place, and they buried their dead on the mainland. Then an earthquake came and down it went. But stunning to still be able to view artifacts still resting untouched only 10 foot down. (PS Do not try to snorkel there - it is banned to ensure the ruins remain untouched)
The village inside Kekova Roads itself has four good retaurants to choose from. You can stop on their jetties overnight or anchor off. If you choose to eat ashore they used to deliver bread to your boat before breakfast the next day as a freebie. The sound of being woken by their crowing chooks is still with me.........
Plus outside coast of that island just outside Kekova has IMHO one of the best 'deserted' spot for anchoring - Karaloz Bay. Go look via Google Earth - but I doubt it shows the true blue the water there can take.
Enjoy
JOHN
Old 07-10-2010, 06:24   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
What about the Bosphorus?

The Istanbul Metropolitan Municipality (IMM) is planning to build 10 marinas on the Bosphorus in Istanbul, Turkey.
In the first phase of development, two marinas will be built in Tarabya and Istinye.
Following the construction of the two marinas, which will have a total capacity for 400 yachts, eight more marinas will be built in other points of the Bosphorus. When completed, the Boat Park project will provide safe accommodation for nearly 5,000 yachts and boats.

See ➥ New marinas planned for Istanbul

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 06:32   #10

Boat: Oyster 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by lampe View Post
For 10 days i suggest to charter ONE WAY from BODRUM to FETHYE by doing this
you can see a lot more from the coast and i am very sure you will enjoy it, great
sailing area !
By the way both BODRUM has an airport and Fethye has the airport DALAMAN near by.
Can you say which company does a one way charter

Thanks

TS
Tudorsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 07:01   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tudorsailor View Post
Can you say which company does a one way charter

Thanks

TS
In Bodrum, talk to Marcel Zaar of Wishful Sailing. Given enough lead time, he can organise quite a range of options.

Hmm, I can't seem to find the link to view the site in English, but give him a call.

aegean adrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 14:11   #12
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018
Hi Compass rose,

Most of the charter companies are based in Marmaris, followed by Goçek and Bodrum. Sun sail is based in Orhaniye. (Swagman, I'll send you a separate PM on this)
First of all you need to decide where to go.. In one week or 10 days you can either cover;
1-Fethiye, Kekova, part of Göcek bays..
2-Göcek bays, they are so many and awesome..
3-Marmaris, Çiftlik, Bozburun, Orhaniye
4-Orhaniye to Bodrum the Gokova bay

And to decide which option to take , you should put yr preferences:

-easy, short distance sailing, don't mind motoring quite a bit, swimming > Option 2
-keen sailors, exceptional landscape, swimming not on top of list > Option 3 or 4
-less wind, swimming, snorkelling, archeological sites, Option 4

Now to conclude, given the distances, ıf you choose Option 1,2, and 3 you need to find a company in Marmaris. You may try Offshore Sailing, Sun Charter, Yıldız. EGG in Göçek can also be an alternative particularly for option 1 and 2.
For option 4, you may go for Bodrum or Orhaniye based companies. Offshore Sailing and Sun Charter are also delivering the boat to Orhaniye, Selimiye, etc at extra fee.

Last note; if you come in Spring, 1 and 2 could be better as the rest of the area could be quite chilled at night and sea water barely around 20 degrees C. Whereas, you may expect milder wheather in Göçek and Kekova.

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:01   #13

Hi Tudorsailor,

sorry for late answer, was sailing in the BVI's, Caribean.

Yes, of course: phoenix-yachting.at

There are a company located in Austria but do have their own boats and bases
in Turkey such as in Bodrum, Marmaris and Fethiye.
We did charter with them can not complain at all :-)
lampe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Turkey