Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-10-2020, 06:18   #136
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Re: Covid plan B for Canada staying closed

Oh boy, we are treading into some deep water.

The basic case civil contract is, as Locke framed it, is foregoing the right of vigilantism. He argued it was the only “natural right” we were required to give up. Others reframe this as “societies monopoly of violence.”

Much later there was Robert Peel who pragmatically set forth a police code of conduct. The Peelian Principals.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peelian_principles

Few of us would argue that we should encourage revenge killings or police brutality.

And this has evolved into legal codes which, if printed, no man could lift.

Somewhere there is a reasonable middle ground, its about 6 feet down.
Old 28-10-2020, 09:07   #137

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
And the smaller communities "back East" are the very ones who are keeping you from getting back to your home. And are also the healthiest ones. Conundrum...???
Standard in-group, out-group dynamics I think. It's why the small community locals give 'come-from-aways' added scrutiny when you arrive in their town. "You ain't from around here, are ya?" In small communities, it's easier to know who's a local and who's a stranger.

The Atlantic bubble has been very successful at keeping the pandemic at bay. But at what cost? This can't go on indefinitely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Sorry we missed each other when you were here. My surgery went well but a herniated disc reared it's ugly head, or rear so-to-speak.

C'mon back, I'm ready for ya now.
Glad you've recovered Stu, but very sorry we couldn't connect. I'm sure I'll be back one of these days. Who knows..., it might even be with our boat. Or maybe a new (old) boat. If this Atlantic lockout continues we might be forced to sell our current one in absentia, and then buy something on the west.
Old 28-10-2020, 09:12   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Oh boy, we are treading into some deep water.

The basic case civil contract is, as Locke framed it, is foregoing the right of vigilantism. He argued it was the only “natural right” we were required to give up. Others reframe this as “societies monopoly of violence.”

Much later there was Robert Peel who pragmatically set forth a police code of conduct. The Peelian Principals.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peelian_principles

Few of us would argue that we should encourage revenge killings or police brutality.

And this has evolved into legal codes which, if printed, no man could lift.

Somewhere there is a reasonable middle ground, its about 6 feet down.
Indeed. The nature of the social contract has been fodder for endless philosophical debate. The simple point here is that none of us operates 100% as free agents. If we live in a society we must conform to the needs and demands of others in some ways.

We accept this trade as a net gain. Or to put it in the current form, we trade some freedom for security.

None of us is an island ... except those who actually do live alone on an island. But I don't think many humans last long like that.
Old 28-10-2020, 09:49   #139
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Mike,

I know I mentioned it before, you ever look into trucking her?
Old 28-10-2020, 10:07   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
I know I mentioned it before, you ever look into trucking her?
I haven't looked specifically for Newfoundland to Vancouver. I did look into the cost about eight years ago when we considered trucking from Thunder Bay, Ontario to Vancouver. Back then I was finding prices in the $10k to $12k range. Newfoundland to Vancouver is at least double the distance, not to mention the whole island problem.

So my sense is it's not really worth it. I'm guessing the cost would be around $25k, which is probably 1/2 the value of my boat. So selling and buying is likely more sensible -- IF if comes to that.

But I'm far from giving up on Newfoundland yet. There's still so much to explore. And there's that beer you've promised me .
Old 30-10-2020, 19:16   #141

Boat: Jeanneau 43DS

Yikes, leave for a couple weeks and look what happens... this has gone a bit off the rails. I know discussing Covid is fun and all, but the original spirit of this was to think about alternative plans for keeping the cruising lifestyle alive in 2021 despite some countries keeping their borders closed to cruising boats.

I suspect many others are moving forward with life without Canada (or NZ/AU, etc). More boaters going down to Mexico next year perhaps? More boats planning thru-transits or offshore to Alaska? More chartering in other locations around the US or world? (we saw a *ton* of charters and classes this Sept/Oct with people traveling from around the country - not sure if this was delayed demand or just new interest in a pandemic-safe activity)

Tags
Canada