Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 2.50 average. Display Modes
Old 27-01-2022, 09:31   #4246

Re: CANADIAN COVID-19 NEWS

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
The media tends to go all in airing the most extreme narratives of the side they're opposed to, while pushing the moderate (reasonable) agenda on their side. Which tend to coincide with the talking points of their favored political party.
That's very much a US-centric take. Which means you need to look outside a lot more, and also that debating "[US] media bias" in a Canadian COVID thread is maybe a bit too far off-topic?
Old 27-01-2022, 09:40   #4247

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
C'mon, man.

Reasoned debate is not unreasonable things to want. Every once in a while you run across some of it.
You know, utopian societies have been tried before. Good luck with that in a social media era.

Quote:
And from my perspective, they ALL seem to have a social/political agenda. So they're trying to make money AND push a social narrative.
Once again you betray your American roots. Love it or hate it, the CBC (and the BBC for that matter) are not in it for the money. Much to many fiscal conservative's chagrin.
Old 27-01-2022, 10:03   #4248

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Canadian COVID-19 News

I have a suggestion for those of you who want to improve their use of media: stop listening to opinion. If an article is listed as "commentary," or "analysis," or "my take," or dozens of other euphemisms for what used to be called an editorial, then just don't read or listen. If they have "two sides" presented in a panel, just move on. If anything is actually labelled anything other than news, skip it. If there's some babbler telling you what he/she thinks is wrong, then it ain't news.

Of course, the problem we face here is two-fold. One is that news and opinion have been so blended in print, and most especially on screens, that some people can't tell the difference any more. The second is the dominance of opinion journalism, which is a complete oxymoron. But in some areas, opinion journalism has nearly completely squeezed out the actual news reporting.
Old 27-01-2022, 10:19   #4249

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

Quote:
Sure, if folks can stay home, maybe they will.

But I think you'll find a lot less difference between medical professionals and police officers. They both have to interact with the public, and they're likely to be working under the guidelines and requirements of their organizations. If they're public facing, they're generally masking up and respecting personal distance to the degree they can.

There is more of a difference between different communities, as most people are following the local guidelines.
Well, since I'll be seeing both police officers and nurses at a family event next week, I'll ask them. Note that both got their vaccines absolutely as soon as possible - both before the rest of us as they were deemed essential workers.
Old 27-01-2022, 10:26   #4250

Quote:
I'm suggesting that our news sources are intentionally provocative as a business model.

How often do you hear reasoned debate in the media? I don't hear much of that, unless it's from people I know.

Most of the media is dedicated to placating their audience, and keeping them in an ideological bubble.

There are plenty of real differences. But instead of focusing on the two sides as potentially legitimate perspectives, the media has the tendency to highlight extreme examples of "the other side" being unreasonable, or downright crazy.
Whoa! Do you listen to the CBC? (as many of us apparently do?) They have LOADS of political debates, on this topic and many others, and ALWAYS have senior representatives from all the major parties - often Ministers and Opposition Critics. Of course the vast majority of the discussion is Canada-centric - as this thread is supposed to be.
Old 27-01-2022, 11:09   #4251

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I have a suggestion for those of you who want to improve their use of media: stop listening to opinion. If an article is listed as "commentary," or "analysis," or "my take," or dozens of other euphemisms for what used to be called an editorial.
I'm with Harlan:
“You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.”
― Harlan Ellison

I don't mind reading informed opinion, where someone, with credibility on the given topic, puts forward a well-supported argument. I have little problem reading such opinions even when I currently disagree with them. Often I learn something. Very occasionally, I am persuaded to reconsider parts of my own opinion, or even to change it. And even reading opinion from people I agree with, the grain of salt is still in hand, and I try to make sure I can see the author's bias, and any flaws in their arguments.

Crap sources usually have crap articles and crap opinions, so i generally avoid them. (What's a crap source? One that was set up expressly to push a particular viewpoint.) If an opinion is worth considering,it can usually be found in several of the better outlets, and already being discussed by experts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post
Whoa! Do you listen to the CBC? (as many of us apparently do?)
Unlike most western democracies, many Americans don't see the point of having an independent, arms-length state-funded broadcaster. Not coincidentally, the US public have one of the lowest levels of trust in their media.
Old 27-01-2022, 11:25   #4252
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

Quote:
I have a suggestion for those of you who want to improve their use of media: stop listening to opinion. If an article is listed as "commentary," or "analysis," or "my take," or dozens of other euphemisms for what used to be called an editorial, then just don't read or listen. If they have "two sides" presented in a panel, just move on. If anything is actually labelled anything other than news, skip it. If there's some babbler telling you what he/she thinks is wrong, then it ain't news.

Of course, the problem we face here is two-fold. One is that news and opinion have been so blended in print, and most especially on screens, that some people can't tell the difference any more. The second is the dominance of opinion journalism, which is a complete oxymoron. But in some areas, opinion journalism has nearly completely squeezed out the actual news reporting.
Right. Only trust The Trusted News Initiative. Governments and big tech deciding what the truth is and pushing their narrative. "They will brand as ‘dangerous’ anything that does not meet the agenda set to maintain their profits, control and influence." as one guy puts it
Quote:
it is a mega collection of the most powerful corporate/state media platforms working together with silicon valley to further curb free speech, suppress independent or simply any news which does not fit their agreed agenda or block, defund, remove from the most popular sites like youtube and google.

They decide what is ‘safe’ for the americans, english, canadians and australians to be fed.

Their promotion line is that they are there to ‘protect’ you. Because you are unable to know what is ‘safe’ and what is ‘dangerous’. You are a close to brainless sponge, and do not deserve the chance to choose for yourself what you wish to believe.

Its typical of the most powerful and expansive propaganda machine ever devised and deployed to be promoting its ever worsening onslaught on freedom of speech as ‘protection’.

The only ‘protection’ offered by silencing any dissenting voices against the chosen narrative of a staggeringly powerful corporate/state machine, is protection for the staggeringly powerful corporate/state machine. not us.

Some of their key members…

Reuters, recently exposed for working with British intelligence to spread misinformation in and about Russia, even training journalists to spread the same within Russia and Ukraine.

Wash Post, who have a longstanding, deep connection to US intelligence agencies.

BBC, the British state controlled broadcaster (if you have ANY criticism of RT, you must apply the same to BBC, or ABC, but few do…why?? we can trust the BBC! THEY ARE THE GOOD GUYS…rightio!)

Google, Youtube, Canadian state, English State, Facebook…etc etc etc…
https://www.quora.com/Who-are-the-Tr...Initiative-TNI
Only trust official Canadian government news sources and big tech affiliates to decide for you what the truth is. This is your message Mike, and if anyone suggests otherwise, insult them.
Old 27-01-2022, 11:38   #4253

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumbs Up View Post
Right. Only trust The Trusted News Initiative. Governments and big tech deciding what the truth is and pushing their narrative. "They will brand as ‘dangerous’ anything that does not meet the agenda set to maintain their profits, control and influence." as one guy puts it

Only trust official Canadian government news sources and big tech affiliates to decide for you what the truth is. This is your message Mike, and if anyone suggests otherwise, insult them.
Try reading my message again.

You appear to be the kind of person I'm talking to. It appears you can't differentiate between editorial and news.
Old 27-01-2022, 11:44   #4254

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
I don't mind reading informed opinion, where someone, with credibility on the given topic, puts forward a well-supported argument. I have little problem reading such opinions even when I currently disagree with them. Often I learn something. Very occasionally, I am persuaded to reconsider parts of my own opinion, or even to change it. And even reading opinion from people I agree with, the grain of salt is still in hand, and I try to make sure I can see the author's bias, and any flaws in their arguments.
The point I was making is that news and opinion are now so intermingled that it is a challenge for some to distinguish between the two. So if you want to get away from all the artificial conflict, the easiest thing to do is avoid opinion.

Read credible opinions if you want, but don't forget it is just that: an opinion.
Old 27-01-2022, 11:46   #4255

Boat: J/88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post
Well, since I'll be seeing both police officers and nurses at a family event next week, I'll ask them. Note that both got their vaccines absolutely as soon as possible - both before the rest of us as they were deemed essential workers.
Perhaps you could ask for a broader observation from them on their brethren? I certainly have heard that a disproportionate number (against the cross section of Canadian society) of police are unvaccinated.
Old 27-01-2022, 12:14   #4256
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

Quote:
Try reading my message again.

You appear to be the kind of person I'm talking to. It appears you can't differentiate between editorial and news.
I am having trouble differentiating between propaganda and what you call "News". Since Big tech has teamed up with all the major news and information sources, I am having trouble trusting that narrative. I don't want to the human race to become "transhuman". Big Tech does. I need you to post some examples of these informative and factual news articles that you are talking about. Articles that objectively present facts and don't try to push any kind of agenda. I don't need to read your message again. You are very repetitive. Plus I am good at reading between the lines. Post two or three recent news stories that present the facts in an objective way, one that would allow me to form my own opinion about a particular topic. I can't seem to find any. Educate me.
Old 27-01-2022, 12:14   #4257

And just to try and get back on track, here's the current national state of hospitalizations across the country.

Case counts appear to be on the decline (although with testing now overwhelmed, these numbers are unreliable). Test positivity rates appear to be coming down, as are waste water indicators, so the signs are positive.

Unfortunately, hospitalizations continue to climb. Many provinces are now scaling back their Omicron restrictions. So hopefully this most important metric will soon reverse itself.

https://health-infobase.canada.ca/co...ast7&map=pt#a7
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-01-27 at 15.07.43 .jpg
Views:	40
Size:	190.7 KB
ID:	252038  
Old 27-01-2022, 12:21   #4258

Quote:
Originally Posted by danstanford View Post
Perhaps you could ask for a broader observation from them on their brethren? I certainly have heard that a disproportionate number (against the cross section of Canadian society) of police are unvaccinated.
I will do that. But please note that, like so many other things, there is a big difference between Canadian and American police generally. An awful lot of American police have military backgrounds, training, and influence. Canadian police generally do not. My son-in-law is an RCMP Staff Sergeant, responsible for the safety of North Vancouver (population 140,000) when on shift. He's also an accomplished artist and musician - and the best darned father (to my grandchildren) I've ever met - including me.

Oops. Sorry. I just realized that you were referring specifically to Canadian police - although maybe the OPP, and Ontario municipal police forces generally, have different recruitment policies than does the RCMP - who now look more for social-worker types than strong-arm types.
Old 27-01-2022, 12:42   #4259

Quote:
Originally Posted by danstanford View Post
Can you give us your reference for this Dan? I've heard that the numbers of vaccinated police, and indeed all protective service workers, are somewhat higher than the average.

When I search, all I can find are references like this:

Winnipeg Police Service reaches 92% vaccination rate

Ottawa police vaccination rate increases after vaccine mandate announcement

Quote:
“Active members are up around 96, 97 per cent, ...
Etc...

All police forces that I'm aware of in Canada now have mandatory vaccine mandates, or mandatory testing. And all the numbers I can find indicate a higher uptake.

I did note that this does not seem to be the case for our southern neighbours. In the USA the references I found do indicate a lower rate of vaccination down there.
Old 27-01-2022, 12:42   #4260

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
The point I was making is that news and opinion are now so intermingled that it is a challenge for some (TU provides the perfect example) to distinguish between the two. So if you want to get away from all the artificial conflict, the easiest thing to do is avoid opinion.

Read credible opinions if you want, but don't forget it is just that: an opinion.
Rex is a case in point. I used to appreciate and trust his editorials but these days... not so much. I think he realized he was getting lost in the noise and had to start pushing the envelope. Pity.