Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2019, 23:19   #16

Re: Cat 1 nz and work arounds...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grattaway View Post
Sector Steve

Registration in NZ is reasonably straight forward - its the inspection process that Maritime NZ has dumped on boats that want to sail offshore that is the issue. Unfortunately every year the nanny state gets more nannying - right now we are busy saving the world from gun crazies, social media trolls and global warming. Given that the nanny state is so busy you could just sail away - its been done before - Your yacht your life

I believe Jacinda Adhern plans for Wellington to become the virtue signalling capital of the World, big challenge there with the Duke and Duchess of Suffolk constantly trying to over shadow her efforts.

As a Kiwi it is hard to believe that the Nation that brought up Sir Edmund Hillary and all the other Kiwi top achievers, such as the All Blacks and our top knotch yachtsmen and other sporting greats can get such a wuss image as NZ has for being a politically correct over nannying nation.

If people want risk taking themselves out of the gene pool, let them so long as they don't take innocent other parties with them. unfortunately, one has to live outside NZ for a period to see the country as others do.
I have called Oz home for a 1/4 century and don't regret the move although I will confess that there is so much about NZ that I miss, except the way the country is run. Australians are very similar to kiwis but with out the polish or class, they will call you mate slap you on the back while ripping you off, and their civil service rules and regulations and willingness to be helpful or flexible, worse than the British.
KiwiKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 00:41   #17

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

My apologies, I meant only for a NZ boat, didn’t make that clear.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 01:42   #18

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillsbury View Post
But nowadays you can’t clear out of customs without cat1, which will annoy the French
In the case I referenced, this was NOT the case. The yotties in question just left NZ and the French in NC didn't bat an eye. The problem came when some of them returned to NZ, properly cleared from NC but without outbound clearance from NZ. And the war began...

I don't know how the Froggies would react today.

Jim
Old 01-10-2019, 02:16   #19

Boat: Morgan 44 CC

If the yacht you’re leaving on is well-found with all the generally accepted safety gear on board, Cat 1 is a walk in the park. I have no nervousness of the inspection because my boat always complies. It’s really nothing to be afraid of.

The thing that bugs me is the cost. To do the inspection, the boat has to be hauled out. Right there is $350. Then there is the inspection fee, nowadays around $200.

But the bigger issue for a first-timer NZ vessel leaving on a voyage is the registration of the boat with Maritime NZ. Last time it cost me around NZ$900. Granted it lasts for 5 years but it is still a chunk out of a cruising budget first time round.

Then there’s the life raft compliance which on a used life raft will cost NZ$1400 for a certification assuming the raft is in good shape. Double (or triple depending on make) that for a new raft.

So add it all up and you’re into 3 grand before you even get started. Then the French or British boat clears out alongside me with zero cost but will get the same great SAR response from Maritime NZ when things go wrong.

My next trip will be something of a free ride because my raft and registration are still in date so just a few flares and the inspection. Haul-out this time will be done anyway to anti-foul before the trip.

To answer the OP, the extents that you’re planning to avoid Cat 1 are excessive, just prep your boat well and it’s easy from there. The other stuff? Well, that’s not so easy.
CassidyNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 02:24   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
In the case I referenced, this was NOT the case. The yotties in question just left NZ and the French in NC didn't bat an eye. The problem came when some of them returned to NZ, properly cleared from NC but without outbound clearance from NZ. And the war began...

Jim
When I clear into Fiji, the very first document they want to see is my departure authority from NZ Customs. Then I have to list all of the previous ports I have been to up to the last ten places. I guess you could say anything to the second question but I reckon turning up there without previous-port clearance papers would not end well. Perhaps New Cal is different.
Old 01-10-2019, 02:32   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post

Jim
Oh for goodness sake can we stop using these childish sobriquets. We are not Ozzies, we are Australians, or Aussies if you really must.
It only takes one more letter to spell yachtie rather than yottie, even though neither are a particularly attractive descriptor.
As for Froggies, that is just not nice, it is a derogatory term, let's hope our French CF members are not as sensitive as me!
KeithB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 03:17   #22

Boat: Ganley Transition 41 (corten steel )

Hi There

Ive been down this road. Spent many years on the riddle. And have opted for Aussie Registration. My vessel is also in New Zealand. I also have an Australian and Kiwi passport.

If you ever have to use your Eperb at least they may come and get you with an Australian registed vessel Plus you have access to consular surport when somebody tries to inpound your pride and joy...!!!

Best of Luck
ski69sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 15:41   #23

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassidyNZ View Post
If the yacht you’re leaving on is well-found with all the generally accepted safety gear on board, Cat 1 is a walk in the park. I have no nervousness of the inspection because my boat always complies. It’s really nothing to be afraid of.

The thing that bugs me is the cost. To do the inspection, the boat has to be hauled out. Right there is $350. Then there is the inspection fee, nowadays around $200.

But the bigger issue for a first-timer NZ vessel leaving on a voyage is the registration of the boat with Maritime NZ. Last time it cost me around NZ$900. Granted it lasts for 5 years but it is still a chunk out of a cruising budget first time round.

Then there’s the life raft compliance which on a used life raft will cost NZ$1400 for a certification assuming the raft is in good shape. Double (or triple depending on make) that for a new raft.

So add it all up and you’re into 3 grand before you even get started. Then the French or British boat clears out alongside me with zero cost but will get the same great SAR response from Maritime NZ when things go wrong.

My next trip will be something of a free ride because my raft and registration are still in date so just a few flares and the inspection. Haul-out this time will be done anyway to anti-foul before the trip.

To answer the OP, the extents that you’re planning to avoid Cat 1 are excessive, just prep your boat well and it’s easy from there. The other stuff? Well, that’s not so easy.
Sounds like you have it cheap. Try it in an area where there are no inspectors, where the nearest haulout is two days each way (plus marina costs while you're there).

Registration is way cheaper now, around $300 ISTR for the five years. But if there are two of you on board, you also need to spend $550 each on the medical course and $350 each on the sea survival course, plus five days doing them (plus travel and accommodation for those five days), unless you've done them in the last couple of years. Now the costs start adding up...
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 16:16   #24

But as a Kiwi you can sail to the Chatham Islands, Auckland Islands, Macquarie Island, the Kermadecs, etc. without Cat 1 because they are obviously safer.
cj88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 16:40   #25

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithB View Post
Oh for goodness sake can we stop using these childish sobriquets. We are not Ozzies, we are Australians, or Aussies if you really must.
It only takes one more letter to spell yachtie rather than yottie, even though neither are a particularly attractive descriptor.
As for Froggies, that is just not nice, it is a derogatory term, let's hope our French CF members are not as sensitive as me!
My, but you are so sensitive. If you don't like my use of language or slang or abbreviations, don't read my posts.

I'm a Yank (Australian polite term for citizen of the USA). I've even been called a Seppo (Australian not-so-polite term for citizen of the USA, derived from Cockney rhyming slang (Yank-Tank-septic tank-seppo)) and I just grin and return the favor... it's all in fun.

We have a New Caledonian (French overseas territory) friend who named his boat "Froggie". I suppose you think he should rename it so as to not offend anyone.

And I submit that "yachtie" is equally a non-word as "yottie", if one wishes to be grammatically correct... which isn't all that important to me in informal writing.

So, I suggest that you lighten up or use the ignore button, for I'm unlikely to change much.

Jim
Old 03-10-2019, 01:26   #26

Quote:
Registration is way cheaper now, around $300 ISTR for the five years.
Well thanks for that, it’s a rare day that one gets a positive surprise from the authorities. When I registered it was over $900 and re-reg five years later was in the 500’s. Now it’s $368 for first reg and $245 for re-reg. Excellent.

Quote:
But if there are two of you on board, you also need to spend $550 each on the medical course and $350 each on the sea survival course, plus five days doing them (plus travel and accommodation for those five days), unless you've done them in the last couple of years. Now the costs start adding up...
I can’t find anything in the regs for CAT1 that “require” any medical qualifications. I’ve been asked by my inspector and he’s always been OK with assurance that I have done a first aid course and even happier that a second person on the boat has too. Same for sea survival knowledge/qualifications. Never been asked for evidence of the courses you name. Can you point me to where this is “required”?

While we’re chatting . . . from your earlier post:

“Having said that, I know that there’s a legal challenge going on that Yachting NZ have overstepped their jurisdiction in applying Cat 1 to cruisers.”

Are you able to expand on that? I haven’t heard of this before, would like to follow up.