Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Regional Forums and Groups > Europe
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2018, 09:54   #1

Inland channel from Holland to Med (Marseilles)

Hello fellow cruisers!

My boyfriend and I are trying to plan our passage and hoping we can get some tips.

We have a 12m sailing vessel with 1.6m draft and 4m beam. Due to work constraints we won't be able to leave U.K until November. To avoid the dreaded bay of biscay in winter were hoping to go through Holland, Germany and then France into the Mediterranean. Our boat has heating so not concerned about the cold.

Few questions:

1. Has anyone attempted this journey in winter (Nov, Dec, Jan) will the canals /locks be open?
2. Understand that the current will be against us, how strong is the current (i.e. knots)
3. Will there be mooring spots available in winter?
4. Any other pearls of wisdom would be much appreciated!

Thanks
Veena & Eemeli
Veena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2018, 10:12   #2

Boat: Tetis 29
Re: Inland channel from Holland to Med (Marseilles)

Hello Veena

I and my girlfriend are planning for a similar trip for next summer. I haven't done the canal passage yet but I have done a lot of research. These answers are only based on my research.

1. Yeas, canals/locks are open in winter. Water is very low in winter.
2 In spring Rhone can have current up to 6 knots because of the melting water from the mountains. Although 6 knots is very unusual. Normally it is 1-3 knot.
3. Yeas. You can tie your boat pretty much anywhere. If you stay put, you don't have to buy vinegette for the France canals. There is plenty of free mooring place in the canals.
4. Get this book: THE FRENCH CANAL ROUTES TO THE MEDITERRANEAN it will tell you everything you need. Get the FLUVIACARTE maps, they are on sale here: https://www.bookharbour.com/charts/l...rs/fluviacarte

No need to go to German. Go from Holland to Belgia and from Belgia to France. Amsterdam could be a pretty nice place to hang around in winter. The trip will take around 1-2 month.
BalticVicing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2018, 01:25   #3

Boat: Fiskars, King's Cruiser 33

It's been a very dry Summer and the Autumn weather hasn't alleviated the dry conditions. Making news, at this time here in Holland, is the fact that commercial barges are already having problems with the limited depth in most of the rivers and canals. I cannot see matters improving until the thaw in the new year.
jedocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2018, 09:07   #4

Hi Veena & Eemeli: As a professional delivery skipper, now in my 50th year of deliveries, I can give some valuable advice for the Biscay. I had my own yachts based there for more than 20 years.

The Biscay is no different in winter than at any other time. It is just a matter that you allow a 4-day weather window. That said it is always possible to do half of a diamond - Raz du Sein towards Les Sables d'Olonne or Ile De Re and then out towards Gijon, etc.

For Inland, I use these for initial planning:
https://www.french-waterways.com/pra...mediterranean/
https://www.eurocanals.com/Waterways...aterwaysm.html
inland_europe marine charts | Nautical Charts App

This one, is fantastic, http://fishing-app.gpsnauticalcharts...9/51.531/6.830 you just scroll to a part of the chart and zoom in - all you need at your fingertips.

Martin Parr
katoema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 05:45   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoema View Post
This one, is fantastic, i-Boating : Free Marine Navigation Charts & Fishing Maps you just scroll to a part of the chart and zoom in - all you need at your fingertips.

Martin Parr
Like that, nice find.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 09:22   #6

Hi Pete7, yes found it a while back when I was undertaking a delivery from the Baltic to Amsterdam. The owner suggested to use the Mast-up route after it was necessary to be holed up in the Kiel Canal when a F10 went through and to stay there for 5 days. As it is an online chart, it was used in conjunction with the Mast-up manual.

Glad you like it!

Martin
katoema is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Holland, passage info: to & from