Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2016, 23:30   #1

Boat: Lightwave 46 14m powerboat
Eastern Fields PNG

Hi, we are thinking of cruising to the Eastern Fields Reef Atoll 90 nm south of Port Moresby later in the year .
It's a long shot but just wondering if anybody has ever been there are knows anything about the area. I understand a live-aboard diving boat has been known to travel from Port Moresby??
Cheers Robin
cruisingtheedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 03:54   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: Eastern Fields PNG

It's actually more East than South. (So about 250 NM almost due north of Two Mile Opening)

Let me know when. I might join you - it's still on my bucket list :-)

From all reports, it's a great fishing and diving location. I'll ask around the RPYC for more info.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 07:08   #3

Thx, I didn't expect to get a reply. We have been to Ashmore and Boot Reefs a few years back so it's only another 65 nm more east. We are contemplating where to go this spring.... cruise back up to Torres Straight and then west towards Eastern Fields or whether to go back to the Coral sea again. More info on the Eastern Fields would be welcome and if we go that way your company would be very welcome.
Cheers Robin Jeffries
M.V. Flash Dancer
Old 11-05-2016, 04:34   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Just talked to a fisho that has been there. Apparently it is still great fishing and diving.

It's a sunken volcano, so reasoably deep in the center (30-40m). The barrier reef does not dry so it cuts the swell, but not much else - you still cop the full SE winds.

Looking at the chart, the gap on the eastern side looks best, but it i actually subject to heavy swells from the prevailing Sou' Easters. the better approach is through the NW corner just below the NW extremity (see attached) for a much calmer approach.

The NE corner is the preferred anchorage decent depth, swing room and reduced swell.

Best diving is in the South East corner, with plentiful bommies, but it is more exposed to swell coming over the reef and generally is an uncomfortable anchorage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EasternFields.jpg
Views:	502
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	124118  
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 06:22   #5

Thx Stuart, that's most helpful. We have explored nearly all the atolls like this off the east coast of Australia, so I am now confident we could handle this ok. There is usually a sandy area that is reasonably comfortable just inside the southern and eastern rims and these atolls and the fisherman's description sought of points that way. We tend to mess around this type of places for 1-3 weeks depending on the weather. We like diving, snorkelling, a little fishing, and doing nothing.
I also always wanted to go to Moore reef near Nth Willis. If you were interested in coming with us to Eastern Fields-- then it might be an excellent spring cruise for us to go to Moore Reef first then head to Port Moresby with the wind on our hind quarter. We could meet up and go to Eastern fields together in November. If time permits after Eastern Fields we would return to Australia via Ashmore Reef (excellent anchorage) then back inside the GBR at Molter Cay and Great Detached reefs where we have been several times before.
Anyhow, that's me just thinking of the top of my head. Thx again for the info and let me know if you would like to explore the prospect of a joint cruise to one of your bucket list hot spots
Cheers Robin
email is cruisingtheedge@gmail.com