Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Other
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-04-2008, 10:05   #1

Cruising from Florida to Toronto

Can anyone tell me if it is better/faster/safer to take my 48' boat from Florida to Toronto via the Atlantic to New York and up or better to come up the inside Mississippi route?

Thank you
Alan
Alan Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2008, 10:10   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
From Florida, I'd expect the Atlantic/AICW route to NYC, thence Hudson River, then Erie & Oswego Canals to Lk. Ontario, to be the preferred route.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2008, 10:17   #3

Cruising to Toronto

Thanks Gord,

I suspectd as much. Obviously this is my 1st time. The advice is much appreciated. I am expecting to do this in about 3 weeks.

Kind Regards
Alan
Old 30-06-2010, 09:11   #4

How was the trip and How long did it take?

Hello Alan,
Can you share some details on this trip... I was agreeing it could be done in three weeks, but I have been told closer to three months.... yikes... which is closer? I live in Mexico and thought it would be a nice trip to take up to Toronto every summer and back again to start school year... Is this me being too ambitious?
KCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2010, 09:57   #5

Hi KCee,

1st off are you doing it in a power boat or sail? I was in a hurry and went from Miami, (not Mexico) to Orillia Ontario in 3 weeks. When I had the opportunity I took open ocean and really hustled. I am in a 54' boat with 1400 hp too though. I did stop and smell the roses in a few places and took the intracoastal quite a bit. I had to traverse 2 long lock systems, one being the Eric canal to Oswego and the Trent Severn to Orillia from Trenton Ontario. I went through a total of 88 locks in a week. You would be looking at 44 locks to get to Lake Ontario and that can be done in 2 days believe it or not. Troy Ny to Oswego coming up the Hudson from NY of course!

In a nutshell you could do it if you started now and took your time (not too much time though). If you decided to do this trip it will be easy to judge how far you are at your halfway point and either you've made it or it's time to turn around. There is also the option of going back via the Mississippi, again I doun't know the hieght of your boat or if it's sail or power.
Always check with the harbor masters and other boaters as to the next reachable destination from where you are and pick a plan "B" in case some thing happens and you can't reach your next docking point.
I'd be happy to answer any more of your question. Bye the way, it's a fantastic trip :-)
Old 30-06-2010, 11:21   #6

Mexico to Toronto

Hello Alan,
Thanks for the quick reply...
I would be in a sailboat, I would imagine around 40' cat with a smaller hp engine...probably 10 knots max? how much does that make a difference in comparing time to your trip?
Old 30-06-2010, 14:02   #7

Quite a bit longer that's for sure. I would probably triple the time. Anyone else readiing this that has done it in a sailboat might know better, but I'd guess at least a couple of months. I'd leave real soon if you want to make it back for school. Remember you always have the option of turning back at your halfway point so you aren't late. You will never forget this trip if you do it. I highly recommend you do :-)
Cheers
Al
Old 05-06-2011, 12:16   #8

Re: Cruising from Toronto to Florida

There are not a lot of cats available for sale here in Mexico, so Plan B is to buy the boat (probably a Gemini) in Toronto and bring her down here to Mexico this summer.
I am starting my research online but have some questions if anyone could help me get started.
1) Will I have to take the mast down for the Atlantic Great loop trip?
2) I understand I will probably be motoring most of the way, but are winds condusive to the ride south versus north?
3) Can anyone suggest any more sources, I am checking online too....
Old 05-06-2011, 13:22   #9
cruiser

Boat: Dufour 34, 1975
Send a message via Yahoo to canucksailor Send a message via Skype™ to canucksailor
Re: Cruising from Florida to Toronto

"You would be looking at 44 locks to get to Lake Ontario and that can be done in 2 days believe it or not."
Not a chance. Not in your wildest dreams. Figure on a half hour per lock, NOT counting travel time between them. That's 22 hours over two days. Simply is NOT happening. For starters, you'd be violating the speed limit on the canal sections that have them. Secondly, the system is only open, I think, 14 hours a day.
I am the producer of the Sailing South - First Timer's Guide to the ICW, a downloadable seminar on cruising south - and a big segment of that seminar is how to handle the Erie locks for sailors. I won't even address the inanity of some of the advice in this thread.
I'm currently in Daytona, I expect to be back in Georgian Bay in early July, without doing anything totally nuts to get there. 50 - 70 miles a day, plus some longer outside runs to make time.
To answer the poster's original question, do the ICW - you're running against the current on the Mississipi TenTom system and it's apparently much tougher. The ICW is not all that difficult (17 trips and counting).
btw, if you're a sailboat, you have a 65 foot height limit on the ICW, and a realistic draft of 7 feet in some of the inlets, unless you play the tides carefully. A boat that size, you might be far better off staying outside.
PM me if you want specific advice.
canucksailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 13:39   #10
cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to canucksailor Send a message via Skype™ to canucksailor

best advice on the topic of ICW vs Mississippi would be from the Great Loop Association - www. greatloop.org - you'll be talking to Ted Stehle, who is quite familiar with both ways.
Kcee, the mast has to be down for most of the Mississippi/TenTom route, but since you're going to Mexico, it would be a shorter trip, less offshore - the Gemini is a nice boat and I like them, sailed them several times, but it's not an offshore boat imo. Owners may seek to disagree with me on that no doubt.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:11   #11

Boat: 1979 O'Day

Might I suggest just staying with ur boat in FL?
WarmWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 11:32   #12
cruiser

Way too hot in Florida in the summer. And if you've never been to the Great Lakes, 1000 Islands, Georgian Bay or the North Channel - you have NO idea what you're missing. North Channel is listed as one of the places you should sail before you toss that final anchor over. If you haven't been - GO!
Old 06-06-2011, 12:19   #13

Boat: Grampian 26

Lake Ontario, Erie which I have personally sailed, are awsome to see have great places to visit, every year is a different vacation and we frequent the same areas each time with better and different results that keep us going back for more.
If youu can get here for a summer do so, well worth the time and memories.
knottygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 19:04   #14

Boat: 1979 O'Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksailor View Post
Way too hot in Florida in the summer. And if you've never been to the Great Lakes, 1000 Islands, Georgian Bay or the North Channel - you have NO idea what you're missing. North Channel is listed as one of the places you should sail before you toss that final anchor over. If you haven't been - GO!
Haha just giving you some beef, bud. I grew up in Michigan and now live on the Gulf Coast of FL. I will be in Charlevoix for a few days later this summer at the inlaws cottage on the lake (going up for my sister's wedding).

I haven't been to 1000 islands though....I didn't get interested in fishing or sailing until I got instantly inspired by moving by the sea.

My wife wants to move back up there after I'm done with this career so I'm sure I'll be testing those waters a good number of times. I PERSONALLY am a warm weather guy who'd rather be floating in waters that I actually WANT to jump into a few times a day while at anchor.

Take care and good luck on your sail.
WarmWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2011, 07:46   #15

Boat: Gulfstar 50 Ketch
Send a message via Skype™ to BojanglesIV

If you're in a hurry, go offshore from the Keys and ride the stream up as far as the Chesapeake. Then keep going until you're in the Hudson. Drop the stick in Catskill and then motor through the canals to Oswego. Stick goes back up in Oswego and then it's an easy shot west to Toronto.

Sailing offshore is way faster (and shorter) than going up the ditch. Of course, both the crew and vessel need to be offshore capable.

Cheers,
Colin
BojanglesIV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida