Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > General Classifieds (no boats) > Classifieds Archive
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-10-2014, 16:27   #16

Re: Good small secondhand steel yacht wanted,

I have a 38ft reve d'antilles which i intend selling - the engine and hull were rebuilt in recent years - its very basic and open plan inside
Old 26-10-2014, 19:19   #17
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by highseas View Post
Google sv Silas Crosby
I think that one sold. But there is another BS Yacht down in Mexico that seems to be a pretty good deal - if you're into those kinds of boats.
Old 26-10-2014, 21:07   #18

Hi!

We just finished a trip from the Arctic to Africa and then the Caribbean on a 35ft steel ketch Motgang (formerly Widdershins). Fantastic ship that needs a bit of cosmetic work but otherwise well kitted out for extended adventure. You can see more about our adventure at two in the blue | Rediscovering wilderness.

Cheers
Pat
Old 27-10-2014, 15:36   #19

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boracay View Post

Steel is not particularly well suited to small boats. While the weight can be kept down by using thin sections corrosion then becomes a problem, paricularly for older boats.
I think you are being too soft. Steel is not well suited for small sailboats: They are proportionally heavier then bigger steel sailboats and therefore they are proportionally slower and even the big ones are not known to be fast.
Old 30-10-2014, 08:49   #20

I have a tahiti rover steel cutter rigged simple in Northern California 33ft. Good condition but needs some work, put message me if ur interested. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1414684108.355628.jpg
Views:	1164
Size:	206.0 KB
ID:	90539

-Davey
Old 30-10-2014, 10:23   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: custom schooner 60ft. LOA

Noel? It's Mike you helped in NC back in 1984.drop me an email! Saw Gypsy Feet a few years ago. Farshore@aol.com cheers!
Old 13-11-2014, 08:37   #22

bilge keelers ?????????

hi. i am in south africa, and looking for a small good steel boat, they are as scarce as chicken teeth, but i have found a steel hartly [new zealand ] a 30 foot bilge keeler, after sailing around the world ina 25 foot wooden virtue, and becoming aware of floating dangers, im seriously looking for a steel boat, please can anyone give me info on why a steel bilge keeler couldnt do what my virtue did, take me through many occasions of very bad weather and servere tropical storms between new zealand and new caledonia, [3 days] i suppose my question is, is the weight of a bilge keeler in the right pace to have the centre of gravity in the right place, AT THE BOTTOM. excuse my ignorance, but there are just no really good second hand steel boats for ale in south africa, remembering that life is choices, my idea of a good steel boat is a nick skeets,, whylo or taihitiana,, ebbtide,, or french meta, [[being from the old school]] i mean '''joshua''' of bernard moitessier fame. what better,

please help.........
Old 15-11-2014, 19:26   #23

Windjami, if you have sailed thousands of miles in a Vertue, I suspect that you will be deeply disappointed in a 30 foot bilge keeler, no matter what materiel it is built out of. Any barge will sail downwind, but when you need to get somewhere up wind, you dont want a bilge keeler. There are many steel boat designs in the 30 to 40 foot range, and they are all strong, it is just that some dont sail worth a darn, and some do. Look for both strength and performances. Just my 2 cents worth. ______Grant.
Old 15-11-2014, 19:56   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrinus View Post
Hi Windjami,

There is a very nice 28 footer Nebe on Ebay. Search for "Nebe Cape".
Says she has a new (20 hours) 15 hp Volvo, Listing says the boat is set up for circumnavigation.

Pete
There was. It is sold. I tried to buy it last year at a much higher price, but never could get the owner to show it. Very well built boats and ideal for the trip.
Old 15-11-2014, 22:02   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjordan View Post
Windjami, if you have sailed thousands of miles in a Vertue, I suspect that you will be deeply disappointed in a 30 foot bilge keeler, no matter what materiel it is built out of. Any barge will sail downwind, but when you need to get somewhere up wind, you dont want a bilge keeler. There are many steel boat designs in the 30 to 40 foot range, and they are all strong, it is just that some dont sail worth a darn, and some do. Look for both strength and performances. Just my 2 cents worth. ______Grant.
May I enquire if you have ever sailed a bilge keeler? I have sailed a few and had no problem at all going to windward in any of them. I would probably not use one for racing, but for cruising they are fine. There are obviously bad ones but there are also some very good ones as well.

Coops.
Old 21-11-2014, 17:58   #26

Boat: Custom steel sailboat 40 ft. TOGETHER

Quote:
Originally Posted by windjami View Post
Hi guys, anyone know off a good, secondhand small steel boat for sale western farmer thahitian, nick skeats wylo, or any other well known small cruising boats capable of long distance cruising,
If some work needs to be done thats no problem especially if it brings the price down,
Please let me know
How much are you willing to spend on a steel boat and how much work are you willing to accept and what kind of work? I have a 40 ft steel sailboat.
Old 22-11-2014, 07:52   #27
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tucker CA41 Steel 40 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triumphant View Post
This one maybe for sale again in Rio Dulce Guatemala see Tahitiana 32' for sale - Guatemala Yacht Broker - Rio Dulce

PM me if you want more information
Have just spoken to the owner, this is now definitely on the market, asking price $20,000 USD
Old 19-01-2015, 23:33   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by windjami View Post
Hi guys, anyone know off a good, secondhand small steel boat for sale western farmer thahitian, nick skeats wylo, or any other well known small cruising boats capable of long distance cruising,
If some work needs to be done thats no problem especially if it brings the price down,
Please let me know
Good morning

We have a 2013 34" Steel VD Stadt for sale, in Cape Town SA
Please contact us if you are interested

Kind Regards
Marius and Sharmain
Old 30-01-2015, 20:03   #29

Boat: Custom steel sailboat 40 ft. TOGETHER

If your still looking for a steel boat take a peek at my website svtogether.com (I am still building/adding to it). The boat is in a slip
in Oriental, North Carolina. I am looking for $29,000.00.
Old 03-02-2015, 15:35   #30

Boat: Bruce Roberts 57
Send a message via MSN to Boreas Send a message via Skype™ to Boreas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
I like steel boats and always have an eye open to them.

It would help us help you if you gave some range of LOA and budget (in US$).

For example, I recently saw an interesting boat that seemed very nicely made, and at what appears to be a good value price. But it may be too large for you or too much money.
I have a 57 Bruce Roberts steel just been completely renovated still needs some finer touches going for 48000US $ in Margarita Island Venezuela registered in South Africa.

Tags
wanted, steel, yacht