Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2014, 14:31   #1

Boat: Leopard 38'
Leopard 38' Survey

I am under contract for a 99' Leopard 38' and due to it's location (NJ coast) and it's being winterized and on the hard I will be having a survey done minus sea trial/engine run with likely some funds in escrow pending a spring splash/engine run. This is about the worst time of the year to do this, but circumstances dictate closing purchase now. I have a local certified surveyor lined up after having lost my first choice who is well informed regarding cats. I will have my buyer's broker there with me who is knowledgeable, but was wondering if anyone has knowledge regarding this design as far as any issues to be aware of while attending the survey. It has been repowered with Yanmars with 200 hours on them and sails 2 years old. Any input welcome and thanks.
hikersailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 15:36   #2

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Re: Leopard 38' Survey

Some things,to. Be aware of. If thru hulls are original they will probably need replacing (2k job?). Standing Rigging as well-(6-7k) check bases of rudder posts inside for any cracks or issues, check fuel tank the original aluminum are prone to leaks after 11-12 years. ($8-900) ac units typically only good fr 12-15 years so if original are at end of their life. Check floor under sink and freezer for any moisture issues. Other than minor things,pretty bullet proof boats.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 20:39   #3

Boat: Leopard 38'
Re: Leopard 38' Survey

Dulcesuenos, thank you for those tips. We will be sure to take a look at them. The AC was just replaced in 2013 and I planned to replace at least the forestay as a precaution anyway, but will check with current owner to see if any standing rigging was replaced when he purchased it from the Moorings fleet in 07' I believe.
hikersailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
survey, leopard