Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2013, 20:45   #16

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours
Re: SSB Channels

Thanks guys !! I printed both of the Net Lists. They now are on file in my radio desk! I will sure let yall know if I find any changes !! Thanks again! This site is good for everybody !! Theres things for everybody on here newbis and us old guys to !!
Old 14-03-2013, 21:20   #17

Boat: Lagoon 440
Send a message via Skype™ to impi

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
The following should get you to Panama--

http://www.caribbeancompass.com/ssb_radio.pdf
Panama — Noonsite

Once in the Pacific, there are usually informal SSB nets started in Panama--ask around the anchorages. There is also the Welcome to the Pacific seafarer's net | Pacific seafarer's net for hams, which has BIG shore-based radios.

If you are going to French Polynesia, check out Pacific Puddle Jump Official Web Site for the bond exemption and other useful links.

For weatherfax, the frequencies/times are found at

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/marine/rfax.pdf

the schedule and content of individual faxes changes pretty often, but they don't change the time the current schedule is broadcast--receive the schedule first.
Very informative. I browsed quickly through these and saved them to my 'to study file'. I assume the weather fax frequencies require a pactor modem? We have not installed one.
impi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2013, 21:31   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrayfors View Post
One of the best sources for up-to-date frequency information for marine and ham SSB nets, as well as weather fax frequencies is:

Pactor-II/III Radio Modem sales, FCC License filing, Marine SSB & HAM Radio Net schedules &amp frequencies.

Gary Jensen maintains these lists pretty well.

From Ft. Lauderdale, I'd suggest you begin in the mornings LISTENING (only, unless you are a ham) to the Waterway Net on 7268kHz LSB. It begins with weather information at 0745 Eastern time and runs for about an hour.

Immediately after that net is the Cruizheimers Net on 8152kHz USB (marine SSB). Dozens of boats check in each morning.

The Maritime Mobile Service Net begins around 11AM and continues most of the day on 14300kHz USB. That's a ham net for boats.

Bill
Good one Bill. We have not gone for the pactor modem on account of having an Iridium with an external antennae for email purposes. Unfortunately we have to rely on friends to keep sending small gribs daily
Old 14-03-2013, 21:33   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Elliott View Post
Here are the NOAA / USCG SSB voice weather broadcast schedules: USCG HF Voice
Thanks Paul. Added this to the list
Old 17-03-2013, 08:39   #20

Hi y'all! i'm trying to make the Sony SSB receiver produce weather faxes using JV comm. I switched to USB, using mono cable to PC, etc. so far only grain, not even a blurry image.
yes i'm still on land, heard about the signal pollution and so on but should i not get something? tuned in to the new orleans broadcast frequencies and could def. hear the 'fax sound'.
any ideas?
dexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2013, 08:59   #21
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexter View Post
Hi y'all! i'm trying to make the Sony SSB receiver produce weather faxes using JV comm. I switched to USB, using mono cable to PC, etc. so far only grain, not even a blurry image.
yes i'm still on land, heard about the signal pollution and so on but should i not get something? tuned in to the new orleans broadcast frequencies and could def. hear the 'fax sound'.
any ideas?
This is in German but the sound of the fax is the same, fast forward to 6.00 , the spectrum should look like that. try fiddling with the frequency if the peak is in the wrong place, should work.

conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2013, 09:33   #22

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by impi View Post
Very informative. I browsed quickly through these and saved them to my 'to study file'. I assume the weather fax frequencies require a pactor modem? We have not installed one.
While the SCS Pactor modems also have a Wfax decoder, it sounds like you have already installed a Wfax system--all you need to do is tune your SSB to 1.9 khz below the published frequencies--for example if the New Orleans frequency is 8503.9 khz, set the radio to 8502.0 khz. Many of the wfax frequencies are already programmed into the Icom radios.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ssb