Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Weather | Gear, Reports and Resources
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2019, 14:56   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Re: Grand Solar Minimum Effects on Cruising yacht community

Quote:
Originally Posted by alctel View Post
Sorry could you quote your sources please? Like can you link to the paper on this?

Nothing I've read even suggests that we are heading for a Maunder or Dalton type solar minimum (not sure what a GRAND solar minimum is)
a grand minimum is one that lasts for more than one solar cycle .
I will wait to see what paper he links to before I step in on the rest.
Old 02-08-2019, 14:56   #17

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
actually carbon monoxide has nothing to do with ghg but I'm sure you ment methane .
As far as subsidies the disparity is not as far apart as you would think . There is less than a 30% difference . Between them
I did actually mean Methane, although Carbon Monoxide actually is a greenhouse gas - it's a very weak one but it reduces OH radicals which help breakdown the more serious GHGs.

I've edited my post, thanks!
Old 02-08-2019, 15:00   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I did actually mean Methane, although Carbon Monoxide actually is a greenhouse gas - it's a very weak one but it reduces OH radicals which help breakdown the more serious GHGs.

I've edited my post, thanks!
no problem .

Hard to believe I'm on this side of the agw argument after all these threads .
Just can't cotton to incorrect information it undermines my position on on natural vs the ( ridiculous) man caused climate change issue.
Old 02-08-2019, 15:02   #19

Boat: 2004 Steber 2200 Persuader

Quote:
I'm sorry, are you arguing that CO2 and carbon monoxide DON'T trap heat in the atmosphere? Is that what you are saying? I just want to be clear here.

(also you realise that subsidies given to fossil fuel industries far far FAR outstrip any renewable subsidies right)
Don't bother, I heard it all before.
I state the fact that from 0.04% of CO2 in the atmosphere we as humans produce 3% of that. So anthropogenic co2 is 0.0012%

Whoever believes that we must destroy the economy in order to reduce that insignificant fraction of the atmosphere by a even more insignificant proportion and may be reduce 0.0012% to may be 0.0010? needs to visit a psychiatrist daily for a long period of time.

The reality is that if the whole of humankind goes to live on the moon, the climate variation on earth would be zero.
Fact.
The sun is another matter. We have a local moron who once promoted fumigating the sky with sulfur dioxide to shield us from the sun.
I think those selling sunscreen did not take well to the proposa.

And I am still waiting for the 9m sea rise. l
Old 02-08-2019, 15:02   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
a grand minimum is one that lasts for more than one solar cycle .
I will wait to see what paper he links to before I step in on the rest.
Yeah, I was kind of being a jerk because he capitalized it to make it sound more scary. Which I guess wasn't very nice on my part.
Old 02-08-2019, 15:03   #21
cruiser

Hi Newhaul, yes I was watching it last night. Thanks.

Here we go again, off topic. .. Any chance of any intelligent comments from real cruisers who have a plan, or is there no one aware of this out there?

If not that's fine.

Crickets will do too.

PS. There are numerous very vocal scientist who are vehement that its ONLY THE SUN THAT IS AFFECTING OUR TEMPERATURE.

And that would be logical wouldn't it, that the heat source is the origin of the heat??? or no?

And it follows that a GSM cycle where the sunspots and heat radiation drops dramatically, would cool the earth, esp if it continues for 30 years...

Go and view the graphs if in doubt, best you find out asap.

Higher Co2 concentration is an EFFECT of higher temperatures, NOT THE CAUSE.
Again go see the historical graphs and readings.

Few know that Co2 has been up to 10 times higher concentration in prehistory..[ which is not long ago]

If you have a head full of MSMDC globalist media, "FACTS" then ignore this thread.
Old 02-08-2019, 15:07   #22
cruiser

Hi Alctel,
simply READ the first post.

Its all there for you from the start, along with the request to go read before making definitive comments without any facts.

From those videos quoted you can expand out and spend weeks on research if you wish.
Old 02-08-2019, 15:10   #23
cruiser

PS Im not capitalising to make it scary.

Im quoting the authors.

Im in total equanimity about it.

Im already set up to cope with that. It is not news to me.

I don't care at all what the comments are, Im simply trying to be of service to humanity by giving you a heads up of something coming down the ocean towards you that you cant sail around!! lol
Old 02-08-2019, 15:11   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistymountain View Post
Hi Newhaul, yes I was watching it last night. Thanks.

Here we go again, off topic. .. Any chance of any intelligent comments from real cruisers who have a plan, or is there no one aware of this out there?

If not that's fine.

Crickets will do too.

PS. There are numerous very vocal scientist who are vehement that its ONLY THE SUN THAT IS AFFECTING OUR TEMPERATURE.

And that would be logical wouldn't it, that the heat source is the origin of the heat??? or no?

And it follows that a GSM cycle where the sunspots and heat radiation drops dramatically, would cool the earth, esp if it continues for 30 years...

Go and view the graphs if in doubt, best you find out asap.

Few know that Co2 has been up to 10 times higher concentration in prehistory..[ which is not long ago]

If you have a head full of MSMDC globalist media, "FACTS" then ignore this thread.
I'm not talking about just her talk last spring to the GWPF. Iam talking about actually reading her peer reviewed science reports.
Old 02-08-2019, 15:19   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc1 View Post
Don't bother, I heard it all before.
I state the fact that from 0.04% of CO2 in the atmosphere we as humans produce 3% of that. So anthropogenic co2 is 0.0012%

Whoever believes that we must destroy the economy in order to reduce that insignificant fraction of the atmosphere by a even more insignificant proportion and may be reduce 0.0012% to may be 0.0010? needs to visit a psychiatrist daily for a long period of time.

The reality is that if the whole of humankind goes to live on the moon, the climate variation on earth would be zero.
Fact.
The sun is another matter. We have a local moron who once promoted fumigating the sky with sulfur dioxide to shield us from the sun.
I think those selling sunscreen did not take well to the proposa.

And I am still waiting for the 9m sea rise. l
I don't think you understand how the carbon cycle works.

Although man-made CO2 (~29 GTon) is small compared to the amount released by the land (~439GTon) and the ocean (~332Gton) it's a problem because it's too much to be reabsorbed back into the cycle - which means all the excess (~40%) ends up in the atmosphere (although the ocean absorbing more than it's used to is causing it to be more acidic which is it's own set of issues).

So atmospheric CO2 is at its highest level in 15 to 20 million years.

'but levels in the atmosphere fluctuate daily'

Yes - but a natural change of 100ppm normally takes 5,000 to 20,000 years. The recent increase of 100ppm has taken just 120 years.

Quote:
Again, can you post a link to the paper on this because it doesn't mesh with anything I've seen

Quote:

Ok. Again. CO2 levels in the atmosphere have been this high before, but it was 3 million years and the temperature was 2°–3°C (3.6°–5.4°F) and the sea level was 15–25 meters (50–80 feet) higher than today. Both of which are really not great.

And as for saying CO2 is because of higher temperatures and not the cause - could you explain in simple terms? Because that doesn't make any sense.
Old 02-08-2019, 15:24   #26

Quote:
Hi Alctel,
simply READ the first post.

Its all there for you from the start, along with the request to go read before making definitive comments without any facts.

From those videos quoted you can expand out and spend weeks on research if you wish.
Sorry do you have anything that isn't a video on youtube, which tends to be the format for things like QAnon and other conspiracy theories as they are a pain to fact check.

Any papers or anything like that? Even an article?
Old 02-08-2019, 15:27   #27

Also maybe newhaul can chime in on this but even the maunder minimum or dalton minimums didn't have that much effect - the summers were the same temperature roughly but the winters were long and colder which is thought to do more with increased volcano activity than sunspot activity

Def not something worth panicking or preparing for
Old 02-08-2019, 15:30   #28

Quote:
Hi Cruisers and "intending to Cruise" dreamers.

The issue of the Grand Solar Minimum Sun Cycle came up for me recently, as an "intending to cruise dreamer" myself.

No doubt you are all familiar with the news medias fake news about the Global Warming, which they have, in full embarrassment toned down to Climate Change... [ You can search global warming hoax and find plenty to read.]

Hello Jeff, and welcome to the Internet.

This is a cruising forum. Go sailing. Thank you.
Old 02-08-2019, 15:32   #29
cruiser

Hi Alctel,
too much trouble to go look yourself?

Yes, the videos show all the peer reviewed graphs and incredible scientific work done.
Old 02-08-2019, 15:36   #30
cruiser

Hi Newhaul, good you are informed on the details and papers.

What can you contribute in regard to cruising in the GSM?

In regard to timing, it is not a cycle the switches on one day, so we are already experiencing the effects of the number of sunspots declining to nearly zero, and if you search in regard to snowfall records broken and unseasonal falls it is all there, but the media don't mention it.

One can ruminate as to why the news media would not want to inform people... they wouldn't have an agenda would they???
Closed Thread

Tags
cruising, solar, yacht