Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2019, 14:16   #1

Pull in spots during single hand offshore Fort Lauderdale to New Bern, NC

Hey there!

I need help planning my single-handed sail from Fort Lauderdale to New Bern North Carolina on my 43 foot sloop. I originally had a crew member to go with me but that fell through so I'm on my own. I'm actually looking forward to it but I want to be as safe and as planned as possible.

I would like to do a couple overnighters and pull in a handful of times for a solid days rest. Obviously I'll want to head out towards the Gulf Stream offshore as much as possible to catch the current. I'm trying to research possible anchorage's near the coast that won't take hours to get in and out of. I don't plan on doing any part of the icw unless there is weather that forces me to. I'm also trying to get there as soon as possible which is why I'm avoiding the icw. I'm a five foot ten draft and 54 feet from the water to the top of the mast. I'm estimating that with a couple of overnight sails but also pulling in a handful of times to rest... a week to 10 days? Obviously depending on the wind and how much motoring I do.

I would really appreciate any insight, advice, resources on easy in-and-out anchorage's along the coast and any other information you think I should ponder before setting solid plans up.

Thanks!
Dan
dwallace006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2019, 16:41   #2

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Orana 44
Re: Pull in spots during single hand offshore Fort Lauderdale to New Bern, NC

Dan, Lake Worth Inlet/WPB (from you, about a 45nm trip) is a fairly short inlet, with a good anchorage just to the south after you enter - we've used this numerous times for staging to cross the GS; Ft. Pierce (from you, about 90nm) also provides a good inlet, but a little longer transit once inside, and good anchorages to the north, prior to the drawbridge - we've both anchored here and utilized the Harbortown Marina - great staff, decent docks and a new pool). Next up the coast is Port Canaveral (from you, about 150nm), with a couple of marinas, but no decent anchorage possibilities unless you transit further west, through the lock. Above that would be St. Augustine (about 100nm above Canaveral) that has decent anchorages and reasonable mooring ball fees - fairly swift currents, so we have always used a ball or the city marina dock. If any of this helps, I'd be glad to share my biased opinions of other anchorages further north (did most of them this past spring on the way up to New England.
Pat
pstadt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2019, 07:45   #3

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Orana 44

Dan, I got your PM and since you asked for more....

Again, these are our stops (most recently done in April and May of this year) that we found useable. We used to rely heavily on the comments on Active Captain, but that system, in my opinion, has started to fall by the wayside as far as current reviews.

Continuing north from St. Augustine, (another 50nm up the coast) is the St. Mary's Entrance, which provides access to the north to a great anchorage on the west side of Cumberland Island (National Seashore)....wild horse herds roam the island and you can spot a few from the anchorage; also some good hiking, if you are in to that sort of thing - great protection from the east, but the anchorage is about 6-7nm from the inlet entrance. The other option on this inlet is to go south to Fernandina Beach but the anchorage across from the old marina (which wasn't open in April/May 2019 yet) is among non-maintained mooring balls and wrecks...closer to the inlet, but among industrial surroundings.

About 60nm north of there is the St. Catherine's Sound - that has about a 6-7nm entrance to a well protected anchorage on Walburg Creek (tree lined shore to the east, tall marshes to the west....nothing here but the quiet anchorage.

Another 35-40nm up the coast is the north entrance to Hilton Head...another long entrance of about 11nm but decent anchorages just on the NW side of Hilton Head.

From there, another day trip up the coast, we usually stay at either City Dock in Charleston, or the anchorage just to the west of it....conflicting winds and currents can make for an interesting night on anchor. City Dock is expensive, but in a hard blow, comforting

About 45nm from Charleston is the entrance to Winyah Bay, which has a very long and wide entrance...depending on wind direction, the first spot we've found without ocean swell or winds (if from the east), is about 5nm from the inlet entrance. Any other wind direction requires a much longer transit and still not great protection. This is another "not much here" anchorage. We've never ventured up the bay to Georgetown.

About 50nm up the coast is the entrance to Little River, the border river between S and N Carolina. Very short entry through the inlet, to a very small anchorage just to the right after you come in. Check the depth here, it might be a little shallow for you (we only drew 4'). Strong southerly winds make this a precarious inlet, especially if ebbing, but still accessible.

From there, you can go around Cape Fear and on up to the Masonboro Inlet, leading up to the backside of Wrightsville Beach - good anchorage about 2.5nm north of the inlet entrance. Although we weren't able to take advantage of it, I understand you can avoid rounding the Cape by going up the Cape Fear River about 12nm and take the ICW cut eastward and then on up to Wrightsville Beach.

Next stop north for us has always been Morehead City/Beaufort through the Beaufort Inlet (about a 65nm trip from the anchorage in Wrightsville). We've never anchored there but have used the Morehead City Docks just to the west of downtown. I've seen boats anchor just across from those docks and it appears to be a good place for north or south winds...lots of traffic though. There is a long skinny anchorage in front of Beaufort Docks, to the north of the inlet entrance....never anchored there, but it seems like a popular (crowded) place.

Best of luck on your voyage!

Pat
pstadt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2019, 10:25   #4

Thank you Pat for the great info! I'll be marking and looking up all of these spots. Will post back here with progress.

How close (or not close) would you stay to shore on this voyage? Going south-north would you try to go out each day and get into the gulf stream? I'm guessing that around Savannah the gulf is too far out to make running to it worthwhile unless you were going to give it an overnight sail
Old 23-08-2019, 11:03   #5

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwallace006 View Post
Thank you Pat for the great info! I'll be marking and looking up all of these spots. Will post back here with progress.

How close (or not close) would you stay to shore on this voyage? Going south-north would you try to go out each day and get into the gulf stream? I'm guessing that around Savannah the gulf is too far out to make running to it worthwhile unless you were going to give it an overnight sail
I would probably rhumb line it when I could. Otherwise I'd loosely follow the 60 fathom line. One issue you may find trying to get into the stream is that there are potential back eddies with counter currents, making it not really worth your time to pursue unless you're going to get into the stream and stay in it. In truth I would probably try and ride the stream along Florida where it's pretty close and then not really bother with it after that.

As you head up the coast, particularly when you get to the Carolinas, keep an eye out for restricted military areas. Make sure you inspect your whole route at lower zooms as these areas are not visible when zoomed out.

I'm assuming you draw @ 6'. I would stick with some major inlets (Charleston, Winyah Bay, Southport, Wrightsville).

If you're in a hurry I'd shoot for a St. Augustine to Charleston run. Charleston is a ways in but the food...oh the food...

If you're moving well and want to keep going, Winyah Bay is a convenient stopping point. You don't have to go too far up to get adequate shelter and it's wonderfully remote at the bottom. But watch the current on the ebb as it really rips. It's a long truck up to Georgetown...don't bother if you don't have to.

You might want to do the ICW from Southport to Wrightsville to avoid Cape Fear depending on weather. You can actually sail up most of the Cape Fear River part and it's quite lovely.
Old 23-08-2019, 11:52   #6

Thank you Suijin for the added input! Very helpful
Old 24-08-2019, 09:04   #7

Boat: Caliber 47

The Waterway Guide has info and a map for all inlets. You cant beat info gathered on your own!

Be safe
Caliber40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2019, 09:07   #8

Boat: Lagoon 450F

Fort Pierce, Port Canaveral, Ponce, St Augustine, Fernandina, St. Simons, Skull Creek, Charleston .
ElJefeLagoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2019, 09:20   #9

Boat: 1999 Maxum 4100 SCA

Might have missed it, but didn't see you planned departure date. With that in mind, the Canaveral Locks will undergo maintenance and be closed 01 DEC through 30 MAR. This will prevent you from transiting from the Port to the anchorages west of the locks.
PJHoffnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2019, 10:03   #10

Boat: 1988 Wilbur 34

Though Ponce de Leon Inlet (New Smyrna - Daytona) has something of a reputation, it's really a pretty good inlet and well marked to the extent you make a daylight approach. The light at the end of the jetty was wiped out in the most recent hurricane. There is good water right up to the north jetty. Once inside, follow the markers to the south and anchor just north of the coast guard station. Very easy.

As to the gulf stream, forget it once past Cape Canaveral... too far offshore. But it provides a nice ride if you take it all the way.
Seighlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2019, 10:10   #11

Boat: Irwin 46 CC
Send a message via Skype™ to PuttingDoctor

For Florida I would exit Ft. Lauderdale and use the Gulf Stream close by and ride overnight up to Ft. Pierce. Direct into the Harbor Town Marina with no bridges you can anchor just outside by the channel marker just north or use the marina. Use caution entering as low tide might be tricky getting into the docks with your draft.
From there with some rest I would go direct to Ponce Inlet this might have you closer in and avoiding the stream. Ponce is a daylight entry for me. Stay closer to the north rock jetty as south is where the groundings happen.
From Ponce you can do a long day trip to St. Augustine and grab a ball. St. Aug. is a great spot to visit.
If you have to come inside and are in the ICW at Daytona Beach make sure to come by Halifax Harbor Marina. H dock is the “Happy Dock” and we have a few transient slips as well as decent anchorage just south on the ICW.
Your air draft is going to be fine for and ICW passage but do use care for where you anchor with your draft.
Enjoy your trip north.
Old 24-08-2019, 13:31   #12

Boat: Beneteau 411

I might be able to join you depending on when you plan to leave (if you'd like the help). Mark
allied85259 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2019, 04:42   #13

Boat: Pearson 530

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwallace006 View Post
Hey there!

I need help planning my single-handed sail from Fort Lauderdale to New Bern North Carolina on my 43 foot sloop.

I would really appreciate any insight, advice, resources on easy in-and-out anchorage's along the coast and any other information you think I should ponder before setting solid plans up.

Thanks!
Dan
Buy weather service from Chris Parker Marine Weather and follow it.

Tags
fort lauderdale, offshore, single