Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-06-2014, 17:30   #1

Boat: Island Packet, 380
El Nino effect on 2015 South Pacific Cruising Season

Many of the El Nino indices and forecasting models are predicting an El Nino year for this Summer and Fall/Winter of 2014. Does anyone know if 2014 turns out to be an El Nino year, could it effect the 2015 south pacific cruising season? I'm currently planning to make the pacific puddle jump in spring 2015, likely sticking to the coconut milk run, but have heard that that the pacific trades can weaken and sometimes reverse in an El Nino year. So far my research has only come up with forecast and discussions for the 2014 season, but I'm curious if El Nino ever effects two seasons in a row.

Does anyone have first hand experience with the pacific during previous El Nino years?

Any feedback or additional sources of information on the topic would be greatly appreciated.

Climate Prediction Center: ENSO Diagnostic Discussion
Helios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2014, 07:48   #2

Re: El Nino effect on 2015 South Pacific Cruising Season

In reading through the FAQ's section of NOAA's site I found this bit of information on the frequency and average time periods of El Nino events:

"How long do El Niño and La Niña typically last?

El Niño typically lasts 9-12 months, and La Niña typically lasts 1-3 years. They both tend to develop during March-June, reach peak intensity during December-April, and then weaken during May-July. However, prolonged El Niño episodes have lasted 2 years and even as long as 3-4 years."

Climate Prediction Center - ENSO FAQ
Old 17-06-2014, 09:10   #3

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

I went across the South Pacific twice--once in an el Nino year. I had too much wind, too little wind, just right wind, rain, sunny days, wind the wrong direction, cyclone threats--both times. I had a fantastic trip--both times!
donradcliffe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2014, 11:37   #4

Thanks for putting it in perspective! Actually getting out there, regardless of conditions is probably better than the arm chair cruising we're currently doing.
Old 17-06-2014, 11:45   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: El Nino effect on 2015 South Pacific Cruising Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helios View Post
Thanks for putting it in perspective! Actually getting out there, regardless of conditions is probably better than the arm chair cruising we're currently doing.
And the Sun rises...
Go and deal with it.. all this El + & - is bollocks.. it won't kill you unless your totally not ready for it like some who've gone before..
But if you **.. its grand to have something to blame..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, south pacific