Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2016, 06:24   #31
Marine Service Provider

Re: Spade Anchor

Thanks to all that came out the Miami Boat show!. Miami is always a great spot to get to see everyone in person. Spade Anchors will be adding more shows to the summer season. Stay tuned for Show Date Updates.
Spade Anchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2016, 01:33   #32

Boat: Outremer 5X

Very interesting thread on the Spade, and great to see the USA Spade dealer participating in the forum. Always a good sign when the folks that sell products are willing to discuss them online!

We had a plough on our last boat, a Catana 471 catamaran, and it dragged all over the place. I replaced it with a Rocna and the only time we ever dragged was once in thick weed, which seems to cause issues for all the high tech anchors. When we purchased out current boat, an Outremer 5X catamaran, I had it fitted with a Spade, because I had heard such good things about them in the Mediterranean. We cruised the Med last summer with the Spade, and it was excellent. I can't say it's better than the Rocna, but it's certainly every bit as good! We did have trouble a couple of times getting it to set when there was a lot of weed on the bottom, but finding a clean spot of sand or mud and dropping the spade, gave us a strong set every time and we never dragged, even in 40 knots.

I'm going to get a second anchor this year, because I want to have a backup anchor, and also to use as a stern anchor in certain situations. Being a weight conscious multi owner, I was thinking about the aluminum version of the Spade, does anyone know how well they perform vs the same size steel Spade or Rocna?
Poozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2016, 03:28   #33

Boat: 1968 Ohlson 38 Sloop
Send a message via Yahoo to phantomracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poozer View Post
Very interesting thread on the Spade, and great to see the USA Spade dealer participating in the forum. Always a good sign when the folks that sell products are willing to discuss them online!

We had a plough on our last boat, a Catana 471 catamaran, and it dragged all over the place. I replaced it with a Rocna and the only time we ever dragged was once in thick weed, which seems to cause issues for all the high tech anchors. When we purchased out current boat, an Outremer 5X catamaran, I had it fitted with a Spade, because I had heard such good things about them in the Mediterranean. We cruised the Med last summer with the Spade, and it was excellent. I can't say it's better than the Rocna, but it's certainly every bit as good! We did have trouble a couple of times getting it to set when there was a lot of weed on the bottom, but finding a clean spot of sand or mud and dropping the spade, gave us a strong set every time and we never dragged, even in 40 knots.

I'm going to get a second anchor this year, because I want to have a backup anchor, and also to use as a stern anchor in certain situations. Being a weight conscious multi owner, I was thinking about the aluminum version of the Spade, does anyone know how well they perform vs the same size steel Spade or Rocna?
been using an aluminum a-100 on our boat for the last couple seasons. been great. never dragged or let go once. got the aluminum because we don't have a windlass and needed a light anchor. Unless you anchor in a lot of rock or coral, you don't need a lot of chain. we have 6 feet of chain. Other than some chipping paint, not a single flaw in the anchor yet.
phantomracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2016, 09:30   #34

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

Can't give you firsthand knowledge, but have spoken to two previous owners who both said the anchor they used never dragged. One is the S100 and the other is an A100. I have both but put the A100 on the bow due to weight preference.

I might also add that Alex from Spade replaced the A100 recently for free after we found an abnormality in the anchor. Great service!
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 06:24   #35
Marine Service Provider

Spade Anchor is extending its Strictly Sail Boat Show Special to those of you that were not able to attend the Show.

For the next 2 weeks starting today, ending on 4-26-16. Call or email to receive 10% off of your Spade Anchor purchase and FREE SHIPPING to the 48 continental States.

(321) 409-5714 or Info@SpadeAnchorUSA.com
Spade Anchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 17:53   #36

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

I'll punctuate with the comment that we love our A100, and it looks great on the front of our tri!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	408.8 KB
ID:	122547  
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor