Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2009, 19:24   #16

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsilvers View Post
Peter not sure about the carbon fiber mast on a cruiser given the potential issues with them - I too looked into this, and in the end, decided the weight savings wasn't worth the potential problems. My 2 cents.

As for the pricing, here is a quick snapshot (five plus years ago it was a 42', so prices were different). The 2005 didn't have as much on it, and certainly seemed to be a firesale price. I looked into this boat - briefly...and decided not worth it.

Year Listed US$ Sold US$ Location
44' PDQ Antares 44i 2007 675,000 (02/09) 600,000 (03/09)
44' PDQ Antares 44i 2005 550,000 (03/08) 450,000 (05/09)
44' PDQ Antares ... 2006 795,000 (12/07) 675,000 (08/08)

Kairos I will dig into the Chimmichurri...looking forward to getting away and enjoying the local scenery/food....and of course checking out boat. There is one of the hulls that is close to splashing in August so we should see them at different stages.
What are your concerns with a C-F mast?
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 20:27   #17

Hi mdsilver, are you getting a new 44i? the Standard rig seems ok, I am just worried that I will have to motor or very slow passages in light winds (would love to have the Cat with a top cruising speed of 16knots (better is fun but 14-16 is nice for long passages).

What made you skip the 2005? I keep looking daily but the truth is I am at least 2-3 years away (probably 8 but I hate to admit it) The idea is to get the Cat a couple years before I retiree (10.5 years and counting down).

I love the company and their service + they seem so focused on the customer satisfaction (not just the sale but the knowledge transfer and the post care) that I am convinced they are worth a really serious look, my desire was actually an Outreemer 49, but I am realizing that the truth is the 44i is the best fit for me (if I could just figure out how to get my dive gear on her!)

Have you looked at the 2 aft seats (by the table) do the cushions come of and are there storage compartements under? I need to figure out where to put a rinse tank and dive lockers as my plan is to have 2 rebreathers.
peter.bomberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 00:51   #18

They have one more version with higher mast, this one is for Intracostalwaterway...or what you call it.

So check this with them if you dont need the shorter mast. I received info from the company earlier on this.
Old 07-07-2009, 04:26   #19

If a CF mast takes a lightning strike you cannot see the damage. If the spar lets go and you are injured by shards they do not show up in x-ray so are dificult to remove.

Like most things in life there are plusses and minuses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
What are your concerns with a C-F mast?
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 05:05   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joli View Post
If a CF mast takes a lightning strike you cannot see the damage. If the spar lets go and you are injured by shards they do not show up in x-ray so are dificult to remove.

Like most things in life there are plusses and minuses.
Can you reference any documented cases of C-F masts being damaged in a way that can't be detected? I suspect that's urban legend.

As for shards, again highly unlikely -- can you point to a case of anyone actually being injured by shards from C-F resulting from a mast failure?

As for shards not showing up in an X-ray? It's black. You can see it with your eyes. No different than wood splinters, and probably even more visible. Definitely easier to spot than fiberglass splinters.
Old 07-07-2009, 05:51   #21

Boat: Custom 36' folding sailing cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsilvers View Post

* Well made, great joinery, safe boat for cruising. Not the fastest on the block, but that wasn't a priority for myself and family. We were in 6.5 knots of wind doing 5.5 knots. Not too bad. full tanks, 10 people on the boat.

This is NOT slow!
solarbri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 08:55   #22

Joakim, can you find the info you received on the taller mast?

Peter
peter.bomberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 11:43   #23

Boat: 1985 CC
Quote:
Originally Posted by KairosKona View Post

They are not performance cats for sure, but for cruising/liveaboard with no need for speed, these look like a very viable solution.
With boats like Gunboat in the market place, I would not suggest for a minute that the Antares is a performance catamaran. However, on a 2-day delivery with full fuel, water and piles of stores - not to mention 5 crew members, we maintained speeds between 9.5 to 10.5 knots in 16/18 knots of wind. Judging by all the positive response by everyone on board, it is difficult to call it a slow boat!
S.R.Hathaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 14:20   #24

Boat: Custom 36' folding sailing cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.R.Hathaway View Post
With boats like Gunboat in the market place, I would not suggest for a minute that the Antares is a performance catamaran. However, on a 2-day delivery with full fuel, water and piles of stores - not to mention 5 crew members, we maintained speeds between 9.5 to 10.5 knots in 16/18 knots of wind. Judging by all the positive response by everyone on board, it is difficult to call it a slow boat!
das what i'm talkin bout!
solarbri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 14:53   #25

Of course, I don't know anything about them. But, if I bought one, I think I'd skip this part:

"Take delivery of your new Antares 44i in Argentina and the builder will include a trip to Cape Horn as part of your shake-down cruise.

"Cape Horn, the ultimate sailing adventure, one of the last frontiers for cruisers, just got a little more accessible. Antares Yachts is now offering their buyers the opportunity to sail around Cape Horn accompanied by both an experienced captain and with access to full technical support."

Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 15:15   #26

Holy flaming cat poo on a stick! I had no idea they built things that expensive down here!

And they say we have no heavy industry! HA! HA, I say! My mind is boggled thoroughly.

Good luck with the boats.
Old 08-07-2009, 06:13   #27

Boat: Maine Cat 41
CF is great and can definitely decrease your weight aloft, lower the COG and increase the boat's performance. The question (as with many things) is are the benefits worth the costs (real and potential).

The biggest issues with regard to CF masts are repair or replacement.

Repair - When cruising there are simply more places that know how to work on repairing aluminum than CF.

Replacement - There are basically two issues that come to mind. The first is it might be easier to source an aluminum mast than one of CF. I say "might" because new masts of any material are generally not sitting in a warehouse awaiting your order. In general CF just takes longer to build. The second is insurance which might limit the amount they will cover, or increase your deductible for the mast, or increase your premium.

Also, consider sail costs. If you are going to go with an increased performance mast, you might also want to have a main w/higher performance characteristics and the sail is going to be a bigger sail - both add to your costs. Again, it may be worth it depending on what you want. Your decision.
YOGAO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 06:46   #28

I doubt insurance is an issue. The value is the value, and it's all a matter of premium for "x" amount of coverage, and policy terms.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:34   #29
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
I don't know of any confirmed cases of CF mast failure without advance warning, but certainly there is literature suggesting that such is possible. As I recall, the material is much more brittle than aluminum and it is certainly possible to have catastrophic failure without advance warning.

Indeed, I believe that this has occurred in carbon fibre suspension components in Formula One cars and has been suggested as a possible cause for the crash of the Airbus that went down over Jamaica Bay, New York a few years back. I believe that some eye-witness reports suggested that the tail fell off before the crash and I remember some experts who opined that with carbon fibre, unlike aluminum, areas of stress fatigue are virtually impossible to detect until it is too late.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 09:39   #30

Boat: Maine Cat 41
SFTri,

You have your sources, I have mine.

Different companies have different policy language. Most do not offer a straight "premium for "x" amount of coverage".

Sorry for the thread drift. The 44i's I have seen are good performers and just stunningly beautiful inside. Hope the new builders succeed and deliver the same high quality.
YOGAO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Antares