Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-03-2014, 15:05   #1

Boat: 1999 Jeanneau Newco Lagoon 410 Catamaran - Luna Sea
Send a message via Skype™ to lunasea.ds
Xantrex Prosine 2.0 fault code 3073

No AC is passing through the inverter, nor is it making AC from the DC.

Last night we had so much wind we chose to let the fridge cold plate run automatically to get our recently provisioned meats frozen. This morning I heard the inverter alarm and (2) fault codes were displayed; 0258 (we've seen and cleared this one before) and 3073. Cannot find any information about 3073 in the Prosine manual or online.

We suspect we will need to replace our inverter which has only been in use a little over 2 years. Before we do I'm wondering does anyone know what this code means, or have any experience troubleshooting this brand?

We followed a recommendation to disconnect the unit from the AC and DC, switch off the unit and wait a half an hour. Then replug everything. Unfortunately that didn't work for ours. We checked the communications cable between the inverter and the panel which is fine.

Also looking for inverter/charger combo recommendations with this spec: 2000 watt, 12v in, 120v out, 80-100 amp charge. Rectangular and flat like the Prosine greatly preferred to fit existing dry segregated space preferred but not necessary.

Thanks for reading!
lunasea.ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 03:32   #2

Boat: 87 Chris Craft Amerosport 36'
Re: Xantrex Prosine 2.0 fault code 3073

Take a look at Magnum Energy.Magnum Energy, Inc. | The Powerful Difference – Inverters, Inverter/Chargers, Interconnection System Equipment, and Accessories I have been using them for about 4 years and have had excellent results.
marine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 07:51   #3

I've had good luck with Outback products. So far 6 years on a 2800 watt inverter/charger without any problems.
svinshallah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 09:02   #4

Boat: Down East Yachts, Downeaster 38

It means you need to get rid of the Prosine 2.0.

Seriously, I think the code is a relay error code. I went through two Prosine 2.0's a few years ago. The first one was replaced by the factory under warranty (even though it was bought off Ebay, so good on Xantrex for that). But, as you can imagine, it was still a PITA to replace. When the second one went, I ripped it out of there and when all 'Office Space printer' on it, complete with the pimpmacdaddy rap music blasting from a friends car. (That was satisfying.)

I was getting the same code, along with many others, but I do remember 3073 and I think that was one of the most common. It has to do with the relay that allowed AC to pass through to the boat circuit.

I think what happened was, when they first released the 2.0, there was a safety issue, possibly having to do with GFCI and they fixed it with software. The result was that the system became much too sensitive to tripping and you would eventually get that code. It was safe sure enough, but all electrical devices are safe when they don't do anything. Shoddy engineering that should have never been released. I haven't bought another Xantrex product since and I don't intend to.

I ended up putting in an Outback inverter/charger and it has worked great for three years now. It's not marketed to marine users but the critical parts are all completely sealed up from the environment so that should be pretty robust in salt air.

Good Luck
Downeaster 38 #40
"Downeast Yachts - More sailing per mile since 1975"
Argyle38 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
prosine