Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2009, 10:04   #1

Boat: Westsail - CC - 42
Need Prosine Xantrex Help

I'm getting ready to head off shore and last night I come back to the boat and I have an error on the Prosine display - 3074. Last night was Sat and the manual said to call Xantrex. On their help line they say call between xx and yy Pacific time. So I called today and there is no answer.

Anyway besides their not answering when they said they would be there ( I kinda figured they were off base with their recorded message) I've been trying some stuff on my own.

First: I've shut it all down overnight. Started it up this am and it seemed to work for about 15 minutes. Then read 107 amps ( I know it wasn't putting out that much), the cooling fan on the unit shut down and my EMON said there wasn't any amps going in. On the suggestion of a friend that has one and had talked to Xantrex he said they had him disconnect everything and then it worked. Don't know what his error code was. I did that and waited an hour (he was told to wait 30 minutes). Started up. Rand for a bit then for some reason the power on the boat shut down. I flipped off the charging switch, reset the breakers on the boat, turned it back on; started up for about 2 minutes then shut down with the same error code.

I can't find anywhere the error code from Xantrex that I get and what it means.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
dkall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 10:18   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Dave,
Did you reset the small switch on the box itself while it is powered up? On mine this switch resets the whole system which is necessary when you get an error code.

Which Xantrex unit do you have?

I looked online and could not find that error code for any Xantrex or Prosine unit.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 10:22   #3

Yep, I've reset that switch a dozen times. I think I had it in the off position though when I had everything powered down, maybe I ought to try to leave it in the on position so all the capacitor etc power down. I'll try that today and report back
Old 11-11-2009, 09:16   #4

Called Zntrex Monday. Didn't think the error was anything big. Told me how to reset the unit. Error Code 3075 is a "Charge Current Offset" error. Whatever that means.

Reset and have restarted many times. Disconnected completely. Let sit then start it back up. Charges for a few seconds to minutes. Then the amps reading on the panel starts to climb ending up somewhere over 100, right now it seems to top out at 107 (it's a 100 amp charger) and there is no charge current.

Just now tried to called Xantrex and they too are closed for the "holiday". Damn Frustrating.

I'm thinking about pulling the unit out, opening it up - looking for any internal fuses and reseting any circuit boards (if there are any).

Anyone take one apart, any other ideas?

Fair Winds
Old 11-11-2009, 09:23   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Dave,
I don't think you can do anything by opening up the case. Ask them exactly what "Charge Current Offset" means and what it is indicative of. Have you tried lowering the maximum charge current? It might be that your shore power voltage is dropping down too much causing the inverter/charger to shut down. Are you watching the shore power voltage as the charger goes over 100 amps? What is the threshold set at for the maximum allowable shore power voltage drop?

I have a second lower power simple non-computerized charger that I use in case my inverter/charger starts getting temperamental or refuses to work....which has been pretty rare.

Some marinas have some really dirty shore power which kicks my inverter/charger offline so I have to use the lower power charger. You may want to get a backup charger for that reason.

Old 11-11-2009, 09:36   #6

Yeah, That's kindof what I've been thinking? What backup do you have? I've been cautious about getting a "non marine" one.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:04   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I have an old Newmar ferro-resonant 30 amp charger. Its not computerized and not a three stage charger...which is what makes it reliable and perfect for less than perfect shore power. I doubt its sold anymore. I'm sure you can fine a relatively simple, inexpensive, marine rated charger as your backup.

Old 11-11-2009, 11:02   #8

I was just going through my falts on the unit and found where the unit is reporting High Frequency AC. I can adjust some of it but don't know how much I should or if I should.

I'm maybe going to a refurbished marine store tomorrow or the next day, I'll look then.
Old 11-11-2009, 11:43   #9
Eternal Member

Dave:

Don't waste your money on a used unit, particularly a ferro-resonant "dumb" charger.

Rather -- unless you have gelled batteries (not flooded or AGM) -- get yourself an Iota. They come in sizes up to 90 amps, are smart, robust, and do an excellent job of maintaining your batteries.

Several places to buy them, but check out Northern Arizona Wind and Sun (Deep Cycle Battery Chargers). Be sure to get the IQ-4 option, which makes these into multi-stage smart chargers.

JMO,

Bill

BTW, I'm in the DC area if you want to talk about it. Send me a PM and I'll give you my telephone number.

B.
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 11:56   #10

All my batteries are AGM's. That obviously is one thing that concerns me. I'm thinking thay have something going on in the marina shop that's effecting it. The other night at about 9 pm it appeared to worked fine. When I try to run it now during the day I get the error reported above and the on the Display panel High Frequency. Wonder if there isn't a choke I can put on the AC line to make sure the frequency that passes is the correct one. Never heard anyone doing that.
Old 11-11-2009, 11:59   #11
Eternal Member

No, you can't easily regulate the frequency of the shorepower.

You can measure it easily, though. The better multi-meters have a frequency setting which will read it directly.

While frequency variances do occur, I'd be willing to bet it's the Xantrex, not the shorepower. And, as you've found out, Xantrex tech and customer support is non-existent these days.

Bill

PS...you can get a charger which is very tolerant of frequency variations, like the very expensive Victrons or the very inexpensive -- but good -- Iotas :-)

B.
Old 11-11-2009, 14:28   #12

Boat: Med Yachts 62 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by btrayfors View Post
-- unless you have gelled batteries (not flooded or AGM) -- get yourself an Iota.
Bill I agree with the Iota recommendation, but why not for gel batteries?
Old 11-11-2009, 16:12   #13
Eternal Member

Mark...

No direct experience (Iota's with gelled batts), and I have no excuse since I've got several Iota chargers and several gelled golf cart batteries sitting in my shop. Really ought to test them.

But, my reasoning is that gels are very sensitive to battery charging voltages, especially at the upper end. The Iota's with the IQ-4 option have an automatic "equalization" cycle, and I'm afraid that the elevated voltages might just do some harm to the gels. Can't prove it...yet, but when I get some time I'll map out the voltages and amperages with gelled batteries. Maybe this winter, when we get a heavy snow :-)

Bill
Old 11-11-2009, 18:00   #14

Boat: Med Yachts 62 Trawler
Thanks Bill. I have other questions but don't want to hijack the thread as Dave asked for Xantrex help.

Watching with interest as my Trace inverter is also throwing strange error codes - and behaving much the same as Dave's Xantrex (ie, broke)

Old 11-11-2009, 18:15   #15

Yep, It's been going down hill since I first wrote this. Funny, Xantrex uses offshore tech support (at least that is how it sounds) but they're tech support is closed Vetrans Day. Go figure. So tomorrow I get to call them again; not with much hope.

Now I can't even get it to charge and it won't invert either. I've disonnected all power to the unit and to the display and still no good.

My dilemna will be to look for a refurbished drop in unit or to chuck it and get another non Xantrex product.

Since we're hoping to leave the states for Bermuda or the VI's this weekend (if the wx gods cooperate) I'll be looking to purchase one in the VI's and have it shipped there. To damn cold to hang out here any longer.

Also I'm wondering what the down side now is if I begin to slowly take it apart. It's not in warrenty (not that I understand it matters) and since it was working I'm wondering if it's just not a circuit board or fuse that needs to be reset or replace.

So..... if anyone has ever opened one up and wants to provide some insight; I'm listening.

Tags
prosine