Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-08-2009, 08:17   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
I have a Prosine 3000 enclosed in a cabinet. I installed a 120mm, 12 volt computer fan that exhausts the hot air. The variable speed fan is controlled by a thermo switch that came with the fan. The warmer the cabinet gets, the faster the fan runs.

Smart Case Fan II 120mm

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2009, 09:50   #17

Boat: Vic Franck Delta 50
Barbara - I'm not on the boat at the moment and don't recall the exact details, but the trick is to go into the installer mode (see the manual for the incantation). This lets you have much more detailed control over the various parameters... including maximum charge rate. In mine, the only way it could charge at the full rate corresponding to the bank size was for me to open the DC panel (behind which it is mounted) and aim a box window fan in its general direction. Otherwise it works for a while and then shuts down with an overtemp error.

I should note that while I do not like the unit for other reasons, this particular problem is not its fault... the installation did not provide for adequate airflow.

David - good solution with the variable speed fan! For the new Outback installation, I bought a wood grille and a small louvered vent; the combo will provide a convective loop through the enclosure. The FX2012 has an AUX output that can be configured to turn on a fan when it's getting warm; I like the idea of it being a smart fan to keep noise to a minimum.

Cheers,
Steve

Tags
prosine