Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-01-2012, 07:22   #16

Location: Fredericton, NB, Canada in the summer and fall; Caribbean in winter and spring aboard Cat Tales.
Boat: FP Tobago 35 (and a H-21 SE)
Re: Why as low as 10V

I have one dedicated inverter that runs a cold plate (former charter boat). As I have new batteries and am turning over a new leaf about maintaining them, I grabbed the manual, and found that there is an adjustable potentiometer (wee little screw) that can be turned to raise the low voltage cutout.

I now have a low voltage cutout around 12.3 volts, as well as an egg timer set for 1/2 hour, when I turn this guy on. I usually run it twice a day, when the solar panels are creating more energy than the stereo needs.

I, too, believe nobody should take their primary bank below 50% capacity if they can help it. I recommend that we all grab the manuals for all devices that might have adjustable low voltage cutout capabilities, and start "turning the screws".
Sonosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2012, 08:36   #17
Eternal Member

Re: Why as low as 10V

Yeah, but....

Don't confuse resting voltages and voltages under load when you're thinking about cutoff voltage. Consider these two facts:

1. a flooded lead-acid battery which has been resting (no load and no charging) for 20-24 hours and which measures 10.5VDC is just about dead. Most research on battery capacity uses 10.5 volts as the "effectively dead" point; and

2. a similar battery under a considerable load...say 10 amps or more....may display a voltage considerably below it's resting voltage (and, therefore, its true state-of-charge). Example: a bank of two Trojan T-105's totaling 225AH total capacity and under a 12-amp load will display a voltage of about 1 volt less than its resting voltage as it nears the end of the tests.

There would be a larger difference under higher loads. Example: a fully charged 100AH starting battery may display as little as 10.5 volts when actually under load turning the starter. And, after the engine starts, the battery will be about 99% charged (it only takes about 0.5AH to start the typical diesel on a cruising boat).

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2012, 20:58   #18

Re: Why as Low as 10V

I would crap my pants if I ever saw our banks below 12v. Under 12.5 makes me happy, 12.4 I'm okay, 12.3 better be under load. 12.2 and I'm sweating bullets.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote