Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2012, 19:20   #106

Boat: Nantucket Clipper 31ft (1979)
Re: What About 'these' Solar Panels ?

(its a glass panel) on the initial inspection everything looked totally Germanic intact. Internal wiring non corroded. Thats why I went through installing the panel. I know I have to test them on a proper load, a resistor or a shunt or something like that, I was just wondering if there's some other typically fault of old panels apart from loosing efficiency. How can a controller just shut down and refuse to charge??

Would it be because the 1 amp supplied is trying to overcharge the battery? (no - because the panel doesn't light up a bulb..)..
Old 16-03-2012, 20:14   #107
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

A controller can be almost anything these days. Many of them are set up so that if the voltage coming in drops below a useful charging voltage (i.e. 12.2?) they will shut down to avoid wasting any power at night. Hook the panel up directly to the battery, add an ammeter, and if the current flows backwards (into the panels) you'll know why the controller shut down instead.

That's probably another way to find the fault in the panel: Hook it up to a good battery in low light, wait a bit, then feel around for a hot spot(s) on the panel. Those will be the points where current is but shouldn't be flowing. Bad cells or bad diodes.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2012, 20:27   #108

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Think of a dead panel this way.
Water pressure measured at a faucet with no flow.. 100 psi.
Turn on the water, drip drip, drip.
Check the pipes, totally corroded and full of mineral deposits.

The drip, drip, drip was supplying the pressure reading.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2012, 11:02   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
Think of a dead panel this way.
Water pressure measured at a faucet with no flow.. 100 psi.
Turn on the water, drip drip, drip.
Check the pipes, totally corroded and full of mineral deposits.

The drip, drip, drip was supplying the pressure reading.
thats great - I got the picture.

my only wonder, and the reason to bring up the issue is that my other panels sometimes give a vague 0.10 amps and the charger goes on. and with the faulty bigger AEG (giving 1 amp) it deliberately turns off. must be because the panel tries to suck out power from the batteries - or? mystery!
Old 17-03-2012, 11:40   #110
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"with the faulty bigger AEG (giving 1 amp) "
I don't recall seeing that you've established it is GIVING one amp, or any amps, yet. Have you?
Old 17-03-2012, 12:07   #111

'Giving' means it actually running through a resistor or appliance right? I measured short circuit current at the end of my 7 meter 7 gauge wires. which was about 1 amp on a shady day. Hence I figured that water runs..

My problem is my ammeter is an analogue clamp-on, which doesn't measure lower currents. And Im lone duck on the dock. To my discouragement today on a high sunny day I couldn't get any reading at all out of this thing with my china multimeter. So towel is thrown in.

Im about to start on a shopping venture, new panel, state-of-the-art ammeter+auto multimeter. Any recommendations for the 2 last?
Old 17-03-2012, 12:50   #112
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

No specifics, just check out the rated accuracy on the scales that are the most use to you. One may say 2% on DC while another says 1/2%. Or one may say "plus or minus one least significant digit" while another says "plus or minus 3 or 4..."
Old 29-03-2012, 12:08   #113

Boat: 2004 Hunter 41 AC

Has anyone ever heard of or seen an installation of Jetion solar panels? I did a search but it didn't turn up anything on CF. Someone nearby is selling them. If they are OK would save me on shipping costs since I can pick up.

Thanks,
Scott
s/vPainkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2012, 12:53   #114

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

I bought 600 watts of junk ass Chinese panels for $900.00 including shipping. They're perfect. The same wattage from West Marine would cost me $3222.00 plus tax, so $3463.00. Maybe mine won't last as long.
Old 30-04-2012, 17:21   #115

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

I bought Sanyo 220 watt panels 31 X 60. Very high rated efficiency (18.5%). These will go on the new arch over the bimini. We also bought a Morningstar MPPT charge controler. This is pretty much a 'must' for large systems and high open circuit voltage.

I met an old timer in the marina who showed me how to use nice commercial SS tube and socket fittings to make the arch. He used various deck fittings and the winches to force the bends and made remarkably good looking arches. You could also rent a large tube bender.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 22:23   #116
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
I bought Sanyo 220 watt panels 31 X 60. Very high rated efficiency (18.5%). These will go on the new arch over the bimini. We also bought a Morningstar MPPT charge controler. This is pretty much a 'must' for large systems and high open circuit voltage.

I met an old timer in the marina who showed me how to use nice commercial SS tube and socket fittings to make the arch. He used various deck fittings and the winches to force the bends and made remarkably good looking arches. You could also rent a large tube bender.
Where did you buy the panels and what were the costs?
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 23:44   #117
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now skippering Syd Harbour charters

We're using 2 x 327W SunPower panels and a Flexmax 60 MPPT controller. The panels are mounted in a rigid frame of 50mm (2mm thick) marine 306 S/S, extending out over the davits. The overall installation weight (including the heavy MPPT) was ~50Kg.

We chose SunPower because their panels were the most efficient per sq m coverage...and we were (and still are) thrilled with the results. As we often do with many of the items that add to our cruising enjoyment, we approached SunPower to source panels for other cruisers in OZ...and Floating Impressions then became a SunPower 'partner'. We can also now source the MPPT units at attractive prices.

So we admit our bias! That said, we can also say our panels' output is terrific. Aussie cruisers interested in more details should contact us.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sunpower (5).jpg
Views:	408
Size:	136.5 KB
ID:	40769  
D&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 00:54   #118
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by D&D View Post
We're using 2 x 327W SunPower panels and a Flexmax 60 MPPT controller. The panels are mounted in a rigid frame of 50mm (2mm thick) marine 306 S/S, extending out over the davits. The overall installation weight (including the heavy MPPT) was ~50Kg.

We chose SunPower because their panels were the most efficient per sq m coverage...and we were (and still are) thrilled with the results. As we often do with many of the items that add to our cruising enjoyment, we approached SunPower to source panels for other cruisers in OZ...and Floating Impressions then became a SunPower 'partner'. We can also now source the MPPT units at attractive prices.

So we admit our bias! That said, we can also say our panels' output is terrific. Aussie cruisers interested in more details should contact us.
What is the efficacy rating on the panels
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 14:25   #119
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now skippering Syd Harbour charters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
What is the efficacy rating on the panels
20.4%
D&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 19:19   #120

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
Where did you buy the panels and what were the costs?
sanyo 220 watt panels. 540 each plus 388 shipping ARIZONA Solar Electric Power Systems For On & Off Grid

MORNINSTAR MPPT-45 EcoDirect 389.95 plus 11.00 shipping
TRIMETRIC 2025 battery monitor. 152.00
Morningstar Charge Controller Solutions - Morningstarcorp Controllers - EcoDirect
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar