Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2015, 01:41   #1

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Webasto marine heater problem

Hi,
Two years ago I purchased a brand new marine diesel heater. I partially installed it but didn't get it completely set up. Recently I finished the install but I can't get it going.

I had it pumping cold air at one point but wouldn't ignite. It was flashing so I rang Webasto who worked out I had not plugged in the temperture reader. So, I plugged that in tried it again. The flashing now doesn't occur, but the main unit won't even turn on now. I get a solid green light on the dial but nothing else from the unit.

Can anyone suggest anything?
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 03:01   #2
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Webasto marine heater problem

Sail north or call the Webasto man again.

BTW, I reckon you could have made good use of it yesterday if it had been working
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 04:54   #3

Boat: Hughes 35 and Lagoon 380 S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Sail north or call the Webasto man again.

There is something you won't hear often from a Canadian when you are looking for warmer weather....
pierrrre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 05:06   #4

Prolly for the same reason we rarely sail south
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 08-05-2015, 08:09   #5

Boat: Boatless

Try to reset the unit:
1 Turn it ON on the panel
2 With the unit ON, remove the MAIN fuse, 30 amps or so.
3 Wait for 10 sek.
4 Install the main fuse

Now the unit should be able to start. If not, hmmmm.
BentP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 08:17   #6

After installation it can take many cycles to fully prime it. During this period the unit will attempt to start (you should hear the fuel pump clicking) and eventually fault-out - this results in the fan running full blast and an error code flashing. You then need to turn it off and on again and go through this process several times. I think it took me thirty minutes or so of this until she ran. After replacing the fuel pump after a pump failure I had to do this process again. This time, the unit fully gave up and wouldn't go through the start-up sequence. I followed instructions on using the fuse to hard reset the control unit and then the unit allowed me to go through the cycle again to prime the system. Again, this was a nail biting thirty or so minutes but she did eventually prime and start after many off-on cycles.

Otherwise the unit has been amazing despite harsh winters.

Not sure if this helps but fyi.
xluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 10:04   #7

Boat: 45 custom steel ketch-Steelin Time

I just bought parts of three of these systems on eBay, haven't installed anything yet, but I do have the manuals, let us know if you are still having trouble after the priming attempts.
Old 08-05-2015, 18:17   #8

Boat: Cal 46-3, 46' ketch

Might not be primed. I purchased a 12v auto turn signal flasher during my initial setup and wired it in series with the fuel pump and disconnected the fuel line at the heater and positioned it to spill into a can. It took about 15 minutes of 1 second 'clicks/ fuel pump cycles for fuel to start coming out the fuel line. The little pump only moves the fuel about a 1/4" per click along that really small diameter fuel line. Hopefully you used the recommended very very small fuel line. The little fuel pump doesn't have enough umph! to push a 1/4" column of diesel hardly any height. Second, even if your fuel line was just horizontal it would take an hour of one second clicks to finally get fuel to your heater. I don't remember the exact diameter of my line but it's about the size of a ball point pen refill... yes it's that small!

The reset procedure is worth doing. But I believe it will allow three false starts/auto-shutdowns before it locks you out/ requiring a total reset procedure.

It's a very smart device overall. I've had mine for about 7 years now and no issues. Starts every time, even the first start in the Fall after dormant all Summer.

You probably heard this already... but they like to be run 'hot.' If it stays in the loafing along mode for hours on end it will 'coke up' start carbon buildup and it starts to burn inefficiently causing a chain reaction of less & less efficient/ faster and faster carbon buildup. Eventually it would require to send it back to factory... and I understand that a send it back to be 'de-coked'/ overhauled (cleaned, new shaft bearings/ seals) runs $900! and takes 60+ days to get it back (so later... if you think you need that operation... send it in during the Summer.

I love my unit. I'm not a full time cruiser now up here in Chesapeake Bay area. But I leave my boat in the water/ use it all year, except for the 4-6 weeks of the worst part of Winter.

Many recommend plumbing in a y-valve on the input side of the little fuel pump so that at the end of the season you can easily flip over to a 'day tank' of kerosene and let it run for a a day. This kerosene seems to burn so efficient that it cleans the firebox of carbon/ coke buildup. I know other users that have had these units and like me use it 8-12 days a month during season stretching periods. I been anchored out with outside night lows in the low 20s and totally comfortable inside.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
W3GAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 18:35   #9

I drive truck and have the same type of heater in my bunk, if it is not recieving any fuel it will shut itself down pretty quickly, from what your saying it sounds like the fuel pump, also have to take into consideration the distance to the fuel source, the longer the dostance obviously the more difficult it is for it to prime. Hope that helped a little.
Livn2sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 20:05   #10

I have used Webasto's for 25 years. My systems were installed so that the Webasto pump is at a lower elevation than the top of the fuel tank. The Webasto fuel supply line comes from the bottom of the tank. I have a bleed valve installed between the Webasto pump and the Webasto fuel filter. When the fuel level in the tank is higher than the bleed valve, simply opening the bleed valve lets the air escape from the lines and filter. It only takes one cycle to fire off the heater on initial installation, and with each fuel filter change thereafter. I have a pipe plug screwed into the open end of the bleed valve when not in use to prevent leakage from an accidental valve opening.
St. Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 20:13   #11

Hey RC, in trying to help out here, I have just spent 15 minutes looking for a Webasto manual (install, users or maintenance) without much luck. Do you or anyone else have electronic copy they post a link to.

I did find this mob in Hobart who might be able to help. Webasto

I am interested in how this works out for you as I seriously thinking of installing a diesel heater (air) myself, especially after the last couple of days of cooler (cold?) weather.
Old 08-05-2015, 20:20   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Hey RC, in trying to help out here, I have just spent 15 minutes looking for a Webasto manual (install, users or maintenance) without much luck. Do you or anyone else have electronic copy they post a link to.
Try Sure Marine: Sure Marine Service, Inc. | MANUALS
St. Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 22:43   #13

Boat: 56' CNSO Mikado Cutter Ketch

Here's a link to the repair/service manual:

http://www.techwebasto.com/redirect/...hop/776891.pdf
Mikado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 00:00   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

To pump fuel through the line, detach one of the wires going to the fuel pump and dab it on and off. This activates the pump with a loud click (thump) repeat repeatedly until fuel reaches the unit. As already said it only moves 1/4" for each dab.

Also check the main wiring circuit block is fully pressed home. It is really stiff and failure to do so caused me all sort of odd faults until it was sorted.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 00:11   #15

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentP View Post
Try to reset the unit:
1 Turn it ON on the panel
2 With the unit ON, remove the MAIN fuse, 30 amps or so.
3 Wait for 10 sek.
4 Install the main fuse

Now the unit should be able to start. If not, hmmmm.
Thanks. 15 amp fuse. That got the main unit going thanks. Just not getting the fuel along the line now.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine