Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2018, 17:38   #31

Boat: Morgan 384/ 1982
Re: Usual location of generator on a monohull

Next Gen makes a fairly light weight Generator Yes buy ther sound shield. You can put it in the sail locker or the lazerette. Mine is in The cockpit sail locker I would love it to be in my lazerette.
stnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2018, 20:04   #32

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
Here's my summary:

Pro-DC: Likes to experiment with critical systems on the boat as long as a backup strategy that is plausible on paper is present. Willing to accept a system that has a higher likelihood of failure due to a lack of real-world testing. Willing to accept higher noise and vibration. Not concerned about nonstandard parts, like brackets, breaking while on passage to, say, Madagascar.

The technology is the same as on your main engine(s, learn one and you learn the other.

There are few worst environments for electrical equipment than the engine compartment of a car or truck, hot, poluted, dusty, very moist from rain, snow and splash.

Highly trialed and proven in millions of autos, trucks, busses, fork lifts etc. etc. etc.

Benign voltages, try grabbing an output lead on your AC genset (check your funeral insurance policy beforehand)

Can be used for engine cranking assist with extreme short term overload.

Pro-AC: Wants an adventure on a boat, not an adventure of a boat.

Lee shore, flat cranking battery, 200 amp alternator for cranking assist = clear to seaward.

AC genset, 60 amp battery charger, low cranking assist = on the rocks.

Remembers how the aluminum house wiring thing turned out in the 1960s. Has seen bridges fall down that looked great on paper. Has been 100% sure about theories that, as it turned out, didn't hold up in the lab.
With large capacity inverters now available at low cost the DC auxiliary genset makes a lot of sense.
RaymondR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2018, 20:14   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

I'm reading and my mind is on overdrive I have a volvo md1b 10 HP engine sitting on a pallet here wonder about hooking up an alternator to the output from the transmission to spin it with tranny in the 2.3 to 1 ratio reverse to spin it faster. Or run a 6 inch prop shaft supported by bearings and run alternators via belt drive. ( bearings will absorb any side loading. )
Old 31-08-2018, 20:34   #34

1) to be clear, when we talk about favorability of a DC generator, this has nothing to do really with DC vs AC appliances on the boat. With a DC generator, you run everything off AC. Of course you'd use DC where it made sense (personal electronics). But watermaker, food refer...go AC through the inverter.

2) Simple DC generators have been around and in faithful service worldwide long before those who question the concept were born. It just seems like we're in the moment in history (affordable LFP and large inverters) that DC generators make more sense than AC generator.
Singularity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2018, 21:40   #35
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singularity View Post
to be clear, when we talk about favorability of a DC generator, this has nothing to do really with DC vs AC appliances on the boat. With a DC generator, you run everything off AC. Of course you'd use DC where it made sense (personal electronics). But watermaker, food refer...go AC through the inverter.
Not for me.

Both freezer / refrigeration and watermaking running direct off DC are no challenge at all, going through an inverter makes no sense to me, at all.

With 40gph you can get the water made in short order, even in the same time as refilling the LFP.

No need to associate DC with puny solar-powered units, have to listen to that racket for hours.

Rich @ CruiseRO can set both up with one hand tied behind his back.

In the old days would run both off a PTO, but going electric is now much more reliable.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, hull, monohull