Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2018, 12:19   #46
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: Tesla House Battery

Yes I was specifically talking about **thermal runaway** risks, not just striving for longevity.

Even if a surveyor somehow missed them, you can be sure fine print will let your insurance off the hook, even if your batt packs aren't actually to blame.

I believe the ABYC working group is looking only at LFP chemistry systems, but even if not, the systems to make these EV packs safe enough for DIY boat House bank usage haven't even been designed yet.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2018, 12:51   #47
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Just found a report that states the Chevy volt has nickel-manganese-cobalt battery chemistry.
Old 29-01-2018, 15:35   #48

We all have our set of blinders we choose to wear don’t we...

Hope no one smokes, drives, breathes,drinks coffee, doesn’t drink coffee, goes outside, stays inside, leaves the house, has a gun, doesn’t have a gun, goes to the doctor, doesn’t go to the doctor, works in a school in the US.............

Just sayin’
getyourbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2018, 15:54   #49
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by getyourbone View Post
We all have our set of blinders we choose to wear don’t we...

Hope no one smokes, drives, breathes,drinks coffee, doesn’t drink coffee, goes outside, stays inside, leaves the house, has a gun, doesn’t have a gun, goes to the doctor, doesn’t go to the doctor, works in a school in the US.............

Just sayin’
I'm just saying be safe and be aware of the risks with the specific chemistry of the batteries you choose to use. ( even Fla batteries have some inherent risks ) though minimal)
Old 29-01-2018, 16:56   #50

Boat: Able 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by 406Columbia View Post
A family member works for Tesla, I mentioned to them I wanted to buy one of these. They told me in no uncertain terms to "DONT BUY ONE". Said they are having many issues with these and got into more detail which I wont mention on a public forum. Keep in mind this was a year ago so maybe things have changed. However when you wouldn't want to buy one yourself nor your family to spend hard earned money on one that's a bold statement.

I am waiting until this family member gives me the thumbs up to purchase. Love the idea but not the price and not the issues that were mentioned.
Tesla is having issues with all kinds of things that they won't admit to. Chances are that the company will go bankrupt later this year. It is going backwards at USD16,000,000 PER DAY. Model 3 production is currently around 10% of the forecast. SpaceX has crashed two rockets in the last 3 months and there are problems with the Model 3 battery that are severely limiting output.

Elon Musk should stick to snake oil.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2018, 17:17   #51

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

Sorry for the thread drift,..... may I mention Zombies?
Funny that, just read that Elon Musk is now into something else...
Elon Musk's Boring Company sells $US5 million worth of flamethrowers - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

But then again, do not believe all what's on the net.
Old 29-01-2018, 17:20   #52

And I assure you that I would buy a Tesla vehicle in a heartbeat if I could afford one And hop on one of the Rockets if it included a round-trip ticket back to earth assuming it didn’t blow up in the process.
getyourbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2018, 17:42   #53

Boat: Able 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankOnthewater View Post
Sorry for the thread drift,..... may I mention Zombies?
Funny that, just read that Elon Musk is now into something else...
Elon Musk's Boring Company sells $US5 million worth of flamethrowers - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

But then again, do not believe all what's on the net.
Dumb idea. flamethrowers can't stop zombies.

I thought everyone knew that.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2018, 18:14   #54
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
Dumb idea. flamethrowers can't stop zombies.

I thought everyone knew that.
yes but if it came with barbecue sauce I may be interested
Old 30-01-2018, 12:59   #55

Boat: Columbia 29 MK1 Hull #28

Quote:
Tesla is having issues with all kinds of things that they won't admit to. Chances are that the company will go bankrupt later this year. It is going backwards at USD16,000,000 PER DAY. Model 3 production is currently around 10% of the forecast. SpaceX has crashed two rockets in the last 3 months and there are problems with the Model 3 battery that are severely limiting output.

Its a shame the US Gov has given these folks so much tax payer money and gotten so little in return (poor ROI). Just another example of special interests not in the best interest for the masses. A real shame
406Columbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2018, 18:11   #56

Boat: Jeanneau 44DS

Quote:

Wow, lots of crazy in this post, but one item in particular since the topic was a Tesla: maybe you don't understand but SpaceX is an independent company. They don't have anything to do with Tesla. And they would probably be shocked to hear of these "crashes" given that they under the assumption that the last 5 launches in the past three months have all been fine.
Garrettw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2018, 18:13   #57

Quote:
Its a shame the US Gov has given these folks so much tax payer money and gotten so little in return (poor ROI). Just another example of special interests not in the best interest for the masses. A real shame
Tesla or SpaceX?
Old 31-01-2018, 18:34   #58

Boat: Columbia 29 MK1 Hull #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrettw View Post
Tesla or SpaceX?
I don't think it matters, both are supported by tax payer money to be honest. It appears that all of elon musk's business ventures are seriously supported from tax funds despite being a for profit business.

While he is certainly not the first to engage in this I find it repugnant to be certain. Especially when they seem to be such poor performers and chronically plagued by being over budget and behind schedule. Sure seems like a poor return on investment for the tax payers.

I have provided a few links below with more specifics.

https://www.usnews.com/opinion/blogs...cal-favoritism

Elon Musk's growing empire is fueled by $4.9 billion in government subsidies

https://thefederalist.com/2017/03/09...rather-paying/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/neilwin.../#2c8bf0c75661

https://www.investors.com/politics/e...ubsidizing-it/

SpaceX: Solyndra in Space - Breitbart
406Columbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2018, 18:51   #59

Quote:
I don't think it matters, both are supported by tax payer money to be honest. It appears that all of elon musk's business ventures are seriously supported from tax funds despite being a for profit business.

While he is certainly not the first to engage in this I find it repugnant to be certain. Especially when they seem to be such poor performers and chronically plagued by being over budget and behind schedule. Sure seems like a poor return on investment for the tax payers.

I have provided a few links below with more specifics.

https://www.usnews.com/opinion/blogs...cal-favoritism

Elon Musk's growing empire is fueled by $4.9 billion in government subsidies

https://thefederalist.com/2017/03/09...rather-paying/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/neilwin.../#2c8bf0c75661

https://www.investors.com/politics/e...ubsidizing-it/

SpaceX: Solyndra in Space - Breitbart
I'm trying to get you to actually articulate your real argument. Facilitating growth of us industry in its nascent stages has always been the role of government subsidies and it seems to be having the desired effect in aerospace and high efficiency autos. So you either arguing that the government shouldn't be doing that or you are arguing that you just don't like SpaceX and Tesla. If the latter is the case, given that you are American, I would ask you if you support American jobs and US domination of a particular sector. What I actually suspect is that you have been convinced that you shouldn't like Elon Musk but don't really know why and so have decided that you don't like his companies but haven't really thought out the implications of your position.

Shoot, I might not like Elon Musk either, but I sure as hell support the US crushing the competition in rocket technology and cost as well as adding 33000 mostly blue collar, skilled manufacturing jobs to the economy. What American doesn't like those things?
Old 31-01-2018, 18:58   #60
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrettw View Post
I'm trying to get you to actually articulate your real argument. Facilitating growth of us industry in its nascent stages has always been the role of government subsidies and it seems to be having the desired effect in aerospace and high efficiency autos. So you either arguing that the government shouldn't be doing that or you are arguing that you just don't like SpaceX and Tesla. If the latter is the case, given that you are American, I would ask you if you support American jobs and US domination of a particular sector. What I actually suspect is that you have been convinced that you shouldn't like Elon Musk but don't really know why and so have decided that you don't like his companies but haven't really thought out the implications of your position.

Shoot, I might not like Elon Musk either, but I sure as hell support the US crushing the competition in rocket technology and cost as well as adding 33000 mostly blue collar, skilled manufacturing jobs to the economy. What American doesn't like those things?
I don't like the fact that kiwis businesses are hemorrhaging taxpayer money on such grand scale. With no reasonable return on the horizon.

Tags
battery