Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-09-2012, 05:11   #1

Boat: Islander 36
Stirling refrigeration SJ05, Satisfied?

OK, I'm trying again with a different thread title.

Does anyone have any positive feedback/experience with their SJ05 unit?

I read a ton of satisfaction with the Coleman Stirling cooler. But nothing about the SJ05, with the exception of apparent dissatisfaction from some wanting to sell theirs off.

These things must work for somebody... Right?
Old 31-10-2012, 04:57   #2

Boat: Beneteau First 38
Re: Stirling refrigeration SJ05, Satisfied?

I hope you get some feed back as I'm looking at it now as my BD 2.5 has died its final death.
I'm fighting currents to get back to you, listening to the flow of your liquid language as you beckon me, "Come Play"
Mariners Cove, CI. Anonymous.
Caribsailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2012, 16:54   #3

Boat: Corbin 39 Special Edition

Same as above, so I guess this is a bump.
Old 17-11-2012, 10:56   #4

Boat: 1981 Endeavour 37 & 1990 MacGregor 26 Classic

I did some google searches with no real luck but did find this Coleman cooler/freezer with the free piston stirling design....

Coleman - Coleman® Stirling Power Cooler

....for $500.00 and what looks like the same one from Global Cooling...

Global Cooling Freezers - Global Cooling Portable Coolers - Global Cooling Portable 12V Freezers - Table Top Freezer

...for a mere $5564.00+ (notice the sale price). Of course this one is sold for "Medical Use" .

From this ...

Applications of the Stirling engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

...Wiki post it looks as if Global Cooling has taken over manufacture and distribution of this type cooler.

So many people have gotten so much life out of Danfoss compressors why not just use what seems to be working? I never could find the model number you were posting about. Is it a portable, a build in or ???

For a portable we have been happy with our Edgestar and for a built-in have been happy with the Waeco/ Adler Barbour with the Danfoss compressor,

Sum
Sumner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2012, 19:24   #5

Boat: Sabre 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumner

So many people have gotten so much life out of Danfoss compressors why not just use what seems to be working? I never could find the model number you were posting about. Is it a portable, a build in or ???

Sum
Because they are cheap on power. I took apart a Coleman and installed it in my icebox and I uses about 1.5 to 2 amps to freeze... without being water cooled either. I also bought my Coleman for $150.
Old 24-11-2012, 01:01   #6

Since I don't see any response to my original question, I will ask a related question.

I started this thread asking about satisfaction with the JSO5 unit. Not the unit marketed by Coleman.

I would love to hear from anyone happy with the JSO5. I would also like to know if anyone has mounted it on the SIDE of their box. I seem to remember Jesse Edwards saying that it can be mounted like that as long as the warm air inlet was above the cold air outlet.

I am going to try to build some kind of test box for this. Not an easy thing to pull off simply because I am "out there" now. No longer have a piece of dry land to go play with such an R&D adventure.

So please, let me hear from anyone with an JSO5, or any other model that did not come as a part of an off the shelf cooler box.
Old 24-11-2012, 01:12   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumner

..I never could find the model number you were posting about. Is it a portable, a build in or ???

Sum
Basically the JSO5 is the unit that Global Cooling marketed for Twinbird, intended for mounting on a box by the user. And that is as far as I have ever gotten with the $900 I dropped on this thing. I trust that someone out there has one in use and knows something I don't .
Old 24-11-2012, 08:50   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minggat View Post
Basically the JSO5 is the unit that Global Cooling marketed for Twinbird, intended for mounting on a box by the user. And that is as far as I have ever gotten with the $900 I dropped on this thing. I trust that someone out there has one in use and knows something I don't .
Is this the unit?

Product: SC-JS05 Stirling Refrigeration Unit

If so here is an install that I found that might help...

New refrigeration

and another...

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...s-12685-4.html

I found these with ....

https://www.google.com/search?q=twin...ient=firefox-a

...that google search. Looks like an interesting cooler.

One thing that is hard to read through with all of these coolers is how much total energy do they really use to cool a box since it is hard to find comparisons on boxes that are the same size, insulated the same and used the same and in the same conditions.

Using just their amp draw doesn't always work. For instance Engles are often touted due to their 2-3 amp draw which is less than Danfoss compressors yet comparisons between similar ....

http://www.arbusa.com/uploads/Newsle...dgeComparo.pdf

Ray's Caravans, Campervans & Motorhomes - Portable Fridges 1-

...sized boxes often reveals that they use as much total energy or maybe even a little more than the Danfoss boxes to cool the same.

They all seem pretty close though,

Sum
Old 24-11-2012, 09:14   #9

Yes. That is the unit.
Having experienced nothing but disappointment with the unit so far, I look forward to figuring out why, and what will work better for me.

I'm a confused as to how it can work when mounted anything other than on top of the box. This is because of the condensation catch tray. Unless it is mounted on top that catch tray is defeated. Also, there is mention of draining that tray daily. If I use the unit as a freezer, basically I will need to defrost the fins daily. And the condensation will then run down the unit instead of directly into the tray. Not any more messy than defrosting a conventional evap unit. But will the SJO5 be happy with this water flow across the unintended path?
Old 24-11-2012, 10:25   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minggat View Post
Yes. That is the unit.
Having experienced nothing but disappointment with the unit so far, I look forward to figuring out why, and what will work better for me.

I'm a confused as to how it can work when mounted anything other than on top of the box. This is because of the condensation catch tray. Unless it is mounted on top that catch tray is defeated. Also, there is mention of draining that tray daily. If I use the unit as a freezer, basically I will need to defrost the fins daily. And the condensation will then run down the unit instead of directly into the tray. Not any more messy than defrosting a conventional evap unit. But will the SJO5 be happy with this water flow across the unintended path?
I can't figure out how it actually works? Does it have coolant lines that go to an evaporator in the box or does it attach to the top of a box and cool/freeze directly into it. I read the install at the one link and I'm still confused.

If he is cooling and freezing 21 cu. ft. of boxes with the unit on 2-4 amps that isn't bad even if it is running 24 hours. We find that a 4 cu. ft. box with a 1/2 cu. ft. freezer section is fine for us on less than 20 amp-hrs/day, but we are not full time live-aboards.

Good luck and is another option possibly selling it if it won't work in your situation?

Sum
Old 24-11-2012, 13:33   #11

Don't see my earlier reply here. But That's ok.

Yes. That is the unit.

Yes. Selling it is an option. In fact, I have decided to go that way. Any takers?

I just tested the unit as a box end mounted as opposed to top mounted. It does indeed work in that position.

Tags
refrigeration