Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-09-2015, 17:02   #31

Boat: Pearson Ariel 26, Pearson 30
Re: Starting Woes

Ok , I agree on one part - too much info is overloading the OP right now!! As soon as I read this , sounded easy to me - starter is bad - all engines need more amps to start hot and that's when a starter ( or maybe a bad circuit/ connection) will act up.
My a4 did this the last 2 years ( but of course being a mechanic so not ever fixing my own stuff) I just dumped some ice on the starter from the ice box to cool it off , then hit the starter button after a few minutes while tapping the end plate ( this stops the short through the stator that's being caused by the worn starter bushings) .. And TaDa off it fires .. Well until it finally quit for real and I HAD to fix it ... (Different story)
The clue is the ammeter going negative and no sound - it's showing you the load is being applied and going somewhere ( which it wouldn't with a bad connection) .. The current is flowing as normal , but straight throught the starter rather than producing the movement it should .
I'm assuming you painted the starter yellow, after the solenoid was replaced and the starter rebuilt? If you didn't and it came back to you like that, I would find a new rebuilder - or even better - find the manufacturer stamping number on the main body and do a search for the parts or a whole unit from an auto parts store. As comparison - the delco off an A4 - $16 rebuild kits on the web , $65 from NAPA with a 5 year warranty ( or a crazy amount of money from a marine place - same parts .
I'm just saying , I've probably installed a hundred rebuilt starters in my career and Never seen a rebuilder paint the stator strap ( that's the big wire coming out of the case) ..

Hope this helps
RicknSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2015, 17:29   #32
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicknSue View Post
Ok , I agree on one part - too much info is overloading the OP right now!! As soon as I read this , sounded easy to me - starter is bad - all engines need more amps to start hot and that's when a starter ( or maybe a bad circuit/ connection) will act up.
My a4 did this the last 2 years ( but of course being a mechanic so not ever fixing my own stuff) I just dumped some ice on the starter from the ice box to cool it off , then hit the starter button after a few minutes while tapping the end plate ( this stops the short through the stator that's being caused by the worn starter bushings) .. And TaDa off it fires .. Well until it finally quit for real and I HAD to fix it ... (Different story)
The clue is the ammeter going negative and no sound - it's showing you the load is being applied and going somewhere ( which it wouldn't with a bad connection) .. The current is flowing as normal , but straight throught the starter rather than producing the movement it should .
I'm assuming you painted the starter yellow, after the solenoid was replaced and the starter rebuilt? If you didn't and it came back to you like that, I would find a new rebuilder - or even better - find the manufacturer stamping number on the main body and do a search for the parts or a whole unit from an auto parts store. As comparison - the delco off an A4 - $16 rebuild kits on the web , $65 from NAPA with a 5 year warranty ( or a crazy amount of money from a marine place - same parts .
I'm just saying , I've probably installed a hundred rebuilt starters in my career and Never seen a rebuilder paint the stator strap ( that's the big wire coming out of the case) ..

Hope this helps
While this is possible explanation, it isn't the only reason the ammeter could be showing a discharge. As per the circuit the OP posted (#4), the glow plugs are activated as soon as the start switch is operated and they use a separate set of NO contacts and other wiring to operate the glow plug relay.

And it is unusual for the ammeter to be part of the "heavy side" of the starter motor circuit.
And why would the starter motor be considered hot after a days sailing.

Nevertheless it is a possibility and at this stage, all ideas are good
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2015, 09:32   #33

Boat: Sceptre 41

I know it seems a bit confusing but I stand by doing a voltage drop test. the test would be a lot easier with a remote starter. I bought a cheap one from harbor freight. 12 Volt Remote Starter Switch

Step 1) Close seacock and turn off fuel supply.

2) Connect multimeter(DMM) from negative battery post to engine ground. Turn key to start engine. If there is over one amp drop on the meter that is a significant drop. Clean all connections and retest.

3) Connect DMM from positive battery post to positive connection on starter. Spin (or try to spin) the starter. Read the meter. If there is over one amp drop clean all connections and retest.

This is a simplified version but it will track down if/where there is voltage drop. HF also sells inexpensive jumper leads which are helpful for extending the reach of your DMM. Once again I think Caulder's tests should help you. It seems overwhelming but I think you should be able to figure out the problem with perserverence and patience. Good luck Greg.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2015, 15:21   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
I know it seems a bit confusing but I stand by doing a voltage drop test. the test would be a lot easier with a remote starter. I bought a cheap one from harbor freight. 12 Volt Remote Starter Switch

2) Connect multimeter(DMM) from negative battery post to engine ground. Turn key to start engine. If there is over one amp volt drop on the meter that is a significant drop. Clean all connections and retest.

3) Connect DMM from positive battery post to positive connection on starter. Spin (or try to spin) the starter. Read the meter. If there is over one amp volt drop clean all connections and retest.

This is a simplified version but it will track down if/where there is voltage drop. HF also sells inexpensive jumper leads which are helpful for extending the reach of your DMM. Once again I think Caulder's tests should help you. It seems overwhelming but I think you should be able to figure out the problem with perserverence and patience. Good luck Greg.
Well Charlie, it was confusing but I fixed it for you
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 25-09-2015, 16:46   #35

Boat: 32 Endeavour

Quote:
Hi Greg:

I think what you need to do is to do a voltage drop test on your system. It sounds a lot more complicated then it is. You will need a digital Multimeter (DMM). First measure the voltage across the posts of the battery. If the battery checks fine then check from the negative post to a known ground on the battery. remember 2x4. I forget if this is correct but the negative side should have no more then .2v of drop and the positive side shuld have no more then .4v of drop. The next test is from the positive post of the battery to the positive lug on the starter. By performing these tests on all the connections you will be able to find where/if the voltage drop is located. Here is a good basic video on it Also you can look in Nigel Calder's book on how to perform the test.
awesome video. Learning a great deal from this thread. Thanks for your knowledge, all.
Old 25-09-2015, 16:50   #36

Boat: 32 Endeavour

Quote:

2) Connect multimeter(DMM) from negative battery post to engine ground. Turn key to start engine. If there is over one amp drop on the meter that is a significant drop. Clean all connections and retest.

3) Connect DMM from positive battery post to positive connection on starter. Spin (or try to spin) the starter. Read the meter. If there is over one amp drop clean all connections and retest.

What's cool is that this technique can be used to troubleshoot a whole lot more in your system, should the need arise. shortfall, you need 5 hands and looongg arms.
Old 25-09-2015, 18:17   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Well Charlie, it was confusing but I fixed it for you
Thanks Wotname you are dead on right!!! My Bad

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Old 25-09-2015, 18:19   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknast View Post
What's cool is that this technique can be used to troubleshoot a whole lot more in your system, should the need arise. shortfall, you need 5 hands and looongg arms.
These really come in handy if you don't have a second person.

Charlie

Joseph Conrad
Old 26-09-2015, 04:24   #39

Quote:
Thanks Wotname you are dead on right!!! My Bad
No problem
And it was only a small hiccup compared to my brain fart back in post 6
Old 03-10-2015, 07:03   #40

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Has there been any resolution to this problem?
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 13:14   #41

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

This is a thread stretch but applicable I believe. I had this same very perplexing problem happen to my Saturn SL2. It was a continuing problem over a couple of years. Of course it didn't have glow plugs.

I turned the key to start but no click, no nothing and very intermittently and the problem would stop for months at a time. The problem would not occur for my mechanic and he thought I was nuts. He is probably right.

I finally took note when it happened the next time that the voltage would drop when I turned the key to start but got nothing. I told the mechanic to change the starter and a bunch of money later the problem was solved. Now I regret buying a newer car. The Saturn got me as much as 43 mpg.