Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-12-2013, 13:24   #1

Boat: Spirit 28
Starting battery recommendations

I modified my battery compartment to provide room for a larger house bank (4 x 6v), but by doing so, I no longer have room there for a starting/reserve battery. So I need to buy and install one somewhere else. Since space is at a premium, smaller would be better.

From another thread on another site, it was suggested that a small battery like a U1 lawn and garden or an Odyssey PC925 or PC545 would be adequate for my Yanmar 2QM15. While they're a little less CCA, and more expensive, the Odyssey batteries can be mounted on the side, which would be useful.

Anyway, before I pull the trigger, I thought I'd post here to see if anyone has first hand experience with using a small battery like this for starting service.

One nagging concern I have is with cold weather performance, particularly with my engine, which does not have glow plugs. While we sail year-round in Puget Sound, it can get a little chilly in the winter, and without glow plugs, it isn't unusual to take 10 or 15 seconds of cranking to fire up.

Interestingly, the Yanmar service manual specifies a starting battery with 70AH minimum capacity (no CCA listed). That's pretty big -- the Odyssey PC925 is only 28AH (20 hour rate). But that might be because the boat only came with a single battery.

Comments appreciated.
Rusty123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2013, 13:34   #2

Boat: Catalina 30
Re: Starting battery recommendations

The small conveniently placed and sized battery now, will most likely be what you are swearing at and throwing over board in a fit of rage when it fails you. Especially when you realize that if you had put in a group 24 or 27 you most likely wouldn't be having the same problem.....That's all hypothetical of course
Old 23-12-2013, 13:58   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

I have the Redflash 1100 to start a Volvo 2003 which is similar to the Odyssey. Only it doesn't work during the winter. The 2003 takes several bursts of 30 seconds to start in the cold winters and the Redflash doesn't have it. It will turn the engine over and for a long time, just not fast enough to generate the heat to start the diesel.

The solution is to try it on the Redflash with a squirt of WD 40 and if it doesn't fire then switch in the house bank which makes all the difference.

With a modern engine and cold start plugs these little batteries would be fine.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2013, 15:10   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

We met a couple on a trimaran who had downsized the starting battery to save weight. After they replaced the third starter in a short time, they figured out it was the too small battery burning up the starters. Unfortunately, by that time the travails with the starter had created so much stress in the couples relationship that they cut their cruise short and soon divorced.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2013, 15:22   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
We met a couple on a trimaran who had downsized the starting battery to save weight. After they replaced the third starter in a short time, they figured out it was the too small battery burning up the starters. Unfortunately, by that time the travails with the starter had created so much stress in the couples relationship that they cut their cruise short and soon divorced.
For want of a nail...
Old 23-12-2013, 15:52   #6

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

Do yourself a favor and get a group 27 battery and spend the dollars on cables to mount the battery where you have space. On a 28 foot boat, that shouldn't be very far. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2013, 16:00   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Downsized to what?
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2013, 16:03   #8
Eternal Member

Lifeline makes a sweet little AGM battery which is perfect for those needing a small but powerful starting battery. It's the GPL-1400T. It measures just 9.75" L x 5.0" W x 6.8" H.

It is sealed and can be installed in any position. It's designed for marine applications. Lifeline Batteries - Marine & RV Deep Cycle Batteries

I've installed two of these in clients' boats, and they seem to work very well.

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2013, 18:22   #9

Starting battery recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrayfors View Post
Lifeline makes a sweet little AGM battery which is perfect for those needing a small but powerful starting battery. It's the GPL-1400T. It measures just 9.75" L x 5.0" W x 6.8" H.

It is sealed and can be installed in any position. It's designed for marine applications. Lifeline Batteries - Marine & RV Deep Cycle Batteries

I've installed two of these in clients' boats, and they seem to work very well.

Bill

Thanks for that suggestion Bill. The Lifeline is rated for 550 CCA, vs 380 CCA for the Odyssey PC925, for about the same price. Just a tad larger, which is not surprising given the higher output.

It also occurred to me today that while I do sail in the winter, I never do any cruising, due to short days, rain, and cold (I know, I'm a wimp). Given that, my house bank doesn't get discharged much, so my need for a reserve battery is less in the winter. In fact, my bank is wired such that I could temporarily split my house bank in two just by flipping a switch, which would give me plenty of starting reserve if a small starting battery turns out to be marginal during winter.
Old 23-12-2013, 18:51   #10
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
I use two Odyssey 2150's for starting service and would not go for less than one of these when the house bank can start the engine in case of battery failure.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2013, 19:32   #11

Boat: Luger, Southwind, 21

Has anyone looked into a Capacitor set-up... Quick charge and discharge capability, smaller size, lighter, and twenty year life in other applications. Grid style intake heaters have also come along way... Just some items found on YouTube related to starting cars...
lonesoldier0408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2013, 19:35   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
I use two Odyssey 2150's for starting service and would not go for less than one of these when the house bank can start the engine in case of battery failure.

Jedi,

Your engine(s) are much larger than 15 hp, I'm guessing. Would your minimum recommendation hold for smaller engines, like mine, as well?
Old 23-12-2013, 19:42   #13

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

After the initial inconvenience, you'll NEVER be sorry that you bought a bigger battery. I'd go group 24 or 27. I ran a lawn tractor battery in my racecar to save weight, I went through 6 of them in 10 years. They suck but it helped me go faster, but they suck.
Old 23-12-2013, 19:47   #14
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty123 View Post
Jedi, Your engine(s) are much larger than 15 hp, I'm guessing. Would your minimum recommendation hold for smaller engines, like mine, as well?
My engine is larger, my genset isn't, plus I have two of these in parallel, so yes, I would take one for your application. A stong big starter battery is gonna save the day for you, just a matter of time before it'll be needed (imagine house bank going down).

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2013, 00:25   #15

Boat: Hunter Legend 420 Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
I have the Redflash 1100 to start a Volvo 2003 which is similar to the Odyssey. Only it doesn't work during the winter....
I have a Red Flash 1100 lying on its side in the bilges - it has worked perfectly for 10 years. It's 37Ah, 775 CCA, starting a Yanmar 56 HP. Size is only 250mm x 97mm x 205mm. They are very small, but also very expensive but you can hide them away anywhere to provide more space for extra service batteries. Only use for starting the engine - nothing else - and keep them charged properly - doesn't take much - I use a 5 watt solar panel. If stopping/starting a lot I do use the alternator via a VSR.
sailinglegend is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, men