Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2010, 08:39   #1

Boat: Looking for a new boat
Small, High-Efficiency Inverter / Charger

Does anyone know of a smaller high efficiency inverter charger? I am basically looking for something to charge a 250ah house bank and be able to put out only about 100 watts ac. My boat is a trailer sailor so I would like to be able to plug it in with edison and maybe just get a 30 amp adaptor for when we are in the marinas. What is my best bet here? With such a small bank I am very concerned with efficiency.
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2010, 12:01   #2

Wow no takers then? What about something like this?

http://www.thahesa.com/index.php?mai...hmq1vu44so0140

Does anyone own one/have any experience with one?
Old 02-03-2010, 14:37   #3

Wow still no takers. Well I tried to order the xantrex but it is badly back ordered and out of stock due to some manufacturing issues. Does anyone know anything about this? Can anyone recommend an alternative? Please?
Old 04-03-2010, 01:37   #4

That Xantrex one is about the smallest unit available with a built in charger - and as you noted, lottsa luck getting one. I was hoping that the supply problems with Xantrex would change when Schneider bought them out, but if anything they got worse.

It does not help that so many internet sites - like the link you posted - show a price at or below cost, apparently as a teaser hoping you buy something else.
Windsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 02:57   #5

Boat: Jeanneau 57
I would recommend going for Victron Inverter/chargers, see Victron Energy - Inverter/chargers - Inverters - Battery Chargers - and more to find the right model. The other one usually recommend in terms of reliability is the MasterVolt while Xantrex is now a distant third.
Old 04-03-2010, 03:26   #6

Boat: Med Yachts 62 Trawler
IMHO I'd stay away from Xantrex and look at the new Magnum MM-AE series units. I am impressed with the Magnum unit in our RV. I have no affiliation with the company..
Old 04-03-2010, 09:56   #7

Unfortunately all of those units cost more than 3x the price of the xantrex. Maybe the thing to do here is get a battery charger and an inverter separately. PLeas keep in mind this is a small trailer sailor.
Old 07-03-2010, 20:01   #8

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34
unbusted:

Well I agree that the Xantrex is much, much cheaper than the others. I guess at that price difference I would buy the Xantrex, but be prepared to replace it if/when it fails.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 03:24   #9

Boat: Able 50
It's hard to see why a trailer sailer needs an inverter. Why not turn down the wick a little and just get a charger. You'll save heaps and learn a whole new way of living aboard.

There was a reason for the lack of replies.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 20:02   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
It's hard to see why a trailer sailer needs an inverter. Why not turn down the wick a little and just get a charger. You'll save heaps and learn a whole new way of living aboard.

There was a reason for the lack of replies.
I ended up buying an Iota 30 amp charger and am happy with it so far. Why does a trailer sailor need an inverter? Why does anyone need an inverter? To run AC devices.
Old 01-05-2010, 21:59   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
I think you did the right thing. For a really small boat, a separate charger and inverter allows you to get just the right charger and inverter that you need by the simple fact that there is a lot more selection doing it this way, its probably also less expensive.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 07:07   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
I think you did the right thing. For a really small boat, a separate charger and inverter allows you to get just the right charger and inverter that you need by the simple fact that there is a lot more selection doing it this way, its probably also less expensive.
Exactly, we really would have run into efficiency issues if we had gone with a combo unit. Now I am finding that we might not even bother with the inverter and just use 12volt devices.

Tags
inverter