Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2017, 04:51   #16

Boat: Tayana V42 - Passages
Re: Silence the generator

This fellow did just what you want to do. I can't find the CF post but I did find the .doc file describing the project.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...3Bd=1455833025
Old 17-01-2017, 05:40   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by sartorst View Post
If your dinghy is stable enough set it in it the only problem is without a good breeze the power cord pulls the dinghy against the hull
I have tried this, with success, don't lower the dink all the way into the water, but close. It was the only place on my boat that I could put the Honda and not detect any CO. I have a very sensitive CO monitor that I use for work.
With the Honda in the dink, you could not hear it in the boat, just as loud for the neighbors though.
You could put a Honda in an insulated box with one end open, and use a 12 VDC fan run off the battery charging posts of the Honda to cool it, going to be a rather large box to store though
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2017, 06:26   #18
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i used to put m ine in my 8 ft walker bay while i was in san diego--i had a noisey genny(briggs n stratton noise!!!) after my honda 3k burned up.. i also had a honda 2k. when that was in dink, i could not hear it much--except for the surging when running out of fuel.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2017, 08:28   #19

Location: Thhe boat is in Titusville, FL and we're back in CO for a few months resupplying the cruising kitty and raising money for our childrens dental charity www.sailing4smiles.com
Boat: 1982 Cape Dory 36 Hull #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcapo View Post
This fellow did just what you want to do. I can't find the CF post but I did find the .doc file describing the project.

Thanks for the Great reply and solution....albiet a little pricey. This should work in my lazerette as well.
SSgtPitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2017, 08:58   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Be very careful with gasoline in an enclosed space, especially a running gasoline engine.
Old 17-01-2017, 09:21   #21

Location: Thhe boat is in Titusville, FL and we're back in CO for a few months resupplying the cruising kitty and raising money for our childrens dental charity www.sailing4smiles.com
Boat: 1982 Cape Dory 36 Hull #78

Yeah, no gasoline would be good. I think the propane conversion is a good option.
SSgtPitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2017, 09:23   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Propane is likely at least as dangerous as gasoline, CNG would I think be the ticket, but I have never seen it sold around here, so that's out
Old 17-01-2017, 09:24   #23

If it's water cooled have a waterlift muffler, an unmuffled one with exhaust near the waterline or even a bit below can be pretty loud with the boat dipping up and down in a wind chop. Also, with water cooled you can enclose it with a box and proper sound deadening material.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2017, 09:37   #24

Boat: Westsail 28

https://fischerpanda.com/
markwesti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2017, 10:14   #25

Boat: 53' Amel Super Maramu

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
i used to put m ine in my 8 ft walker bay while i was in san diego--i had a noisey genny(briggs n stratton noise!!!) after my honda 3k burned up.. i also had a honda 2k. when that was in dink, i could not hear it much--except for the surging when running out of fuel.
OMG, no offence but you must have been a treat as a neighbour! 'My generator was so loud I had to put it in the dinghy to get it below deck level and further away from the boat so it didn't bother ME?'

I've come to view the portable gasoline generator as the jetski of the cruising community.

My personal favourite was a Sunday morning in a remote anchorage off of Ono in the Kandavu group of Fiji this last season. I'd just stepped into the cockpit on a dead calm Sunday morning thinking 'I'll bet we'll be able to hear the singing from the church in the village this morning'....... Then our neighbour fired up his Honda generator for the next 2 hours drowning out all other noise in the anchorage. The really ironic part was that was the only time we saw another boat for the entire 3 weeks we were down there and then just after lunch he proceeded to start up his main engine and motored away to another anchorage..... likely with an alternator regulated back against a full battery bank!

Oh well, I'll give him credit, he waited until about 8 am. We had one neighbour in the Caribbean that I'm sure ran his air conditioning off his Honda as he ran it most of the night.... until it would surge to a stop when it ran out of fuel. But don't worry, he followed most of the helpful tips in these threads about how to position it best for him not to hear it IN the boat.
Hobie_ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2017, 10:24   #26

Boat: 53' Amel Super Maramu

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcapo View Post

I like this guy. That said, the solar panels on our boat completely transformed her. Our diesel generator felt quite a bit less loved after they were installed.
Hobie_ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2017, 13:42   #27

Boat: Beneteau Sense 43
Send a message via Skype™ to The LowGun

I wish I had thought of that earlier!
The LowGun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, generator