Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2016, 12:57   #16

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]
Re: Running Microwave from inverter

Quote:
Originally Posted by svfinlandia View Post
Bill
Greetings from another Nauticater (NC36).
Just wanted to say that I am surprised that you didn't fry your microwave with a non-sine wave inverter. The spikes from a square wave type inverter are really hard on most electronics, and esp. a microwave.

Al, S/V Finlandia
Hey Al,

Thanks for reaching out. I do enjoy your contributions on the Nauticat forum.

I, too, am surprised the microwave survived the old inverter technology. I knew we would need to replace the inverter [and possibly the microwave] when we bought the boat in May 2014, and finally got around to installing our new inverter in early 2015... [Not that we use the microwave all that much when not on shore or generator power...]

Please touch base if you are ever near our area [SE AK] - we usually have a spare cabin...

Cheers!

Bill
Old 03-01-2016, 14:00   #17

My microwave runs fine on a magnum modified sine wave inverter. It takes a little longer to heat things I'm sure does suck a lot of juice
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 14:45   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankly View Post
Replacing the Freedom 10 with a Freedom 20 (2000 watt MSW), the inverter shuts down immediately when we start the microwave (go figure).
The inverter is likely shutting down due to low voltage. When you draw 100 to 150 amps from a battery bank the voltage drops considerably if the bank is either older or too small.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 14:56   #19

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankly View Post
...Replacing the Freedom 10 with a Freedom 20 (2000 watt MSW), the inverter shuts down immediately when we start the microwave...
Could it be that you re-used under-size cables?
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 15:08   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
Could it be that you re-used under-size cables?
Yes, undersized or too long cables can make the difference as well.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 15:38   #21

Boat: Nordic 44

MarK
Which model magnum do you have? I have a magnum MS 2000 which is a pure sine wave. I also have the same set up with a 700 watt micro and slightly larger agm house bank. No real problems. The micro needs longer than your typical home micro which is probably more powerful. The noise I have is a typical hum.
Most likly you do not have an inverter issue. Lots of good advice above.
pitlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 15:57   #22

Boat: 1981 Morgan OI 41

How far from the battery bank is the inverter and what size cables do you have?
In my motor home I mounted it right next to the batts and used cables big as my little finger that was overkill but it gets the job done.
Salty Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 16:31   #23

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 37' Catamaran

Here's an odd one which I haven't figured out on our boat.

We have a Xantrex pro 1800W modified Sin inverter. In order for our microwave to work I must turn on a second load (an incandescent bulb) before the microwave will start up correctly - once running it can be turned off! If the bulb is not turned on the microwave runs, but incorrectly (platter turns very slowly and makes an odd noise).
geoffr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 16:44   #24

Boat: modified Spray 56' oa

If you look at the modified sine wave on an oscilloscope it looks like a bunch of square waves with the edges rounded a bit. Sort of like ride
ing your motorcycle on rail road ties. Gets you there but vibrates .Lots of digital stuff just smokes.
topmast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 17:16   #25

Boat: Hunter 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffr View Post
Here's an odd one which I haven't figured out on our boat.

We have a Xantrex pro 1800W modified Sin inverter. In order for our microwave to work I must turn on a second load (an incandescent bulb) before the microwave will start up correctly - once running it can be turned off! If the bulb is not turned on the microwave runs, but incorrectly (platter turns very slowly and makes an odd noise).
I had an inverter in an RV that would not start the tv unless a light bulb was turned on to kick the inverter out of standby mode. Seems that your Xantrex is not seeing the microwave as a load.
misssherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 20:52   #26

I have no issues running mircowaves on the 2000w pure sine ones. as above check voltage at inverter. if you have the rc50 screen it should tell you on it.
smac999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 22:09   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post
I have no issues running mircowaves on the 2000w pure sine ones. as above check voltage at inverter. if you have the rc50 screen it should tell you on it.
Nor does anyone else.

The problems are with many microwaves and many modified sine wave inverters. And the problem is not the shown AC voltage it is the waveform of the AC and often also the way that waveform varies with differing DC input voltages.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 23:56   #28

Boat: Lagoon 410 (now sold)

I have a 700W electronic microwave (1150W input), running from a 1500W modified sine wave inverter. The microwave was the smallest and most basic I could find in the store.

It runs OK on the inverter but is noisier than when on mains power. Heating food takes quite a bit longer. I also found that if the house battery bank is down a bit, the microwave will switch itself off (or maybe the inverter resetting itself).

I'm not expecting a long life from this microwave.
Old 04-01-2016, 00:43   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

I think you've gotten your answer already, but I will add one tiny detail --

If your microwave is 900 watts, is that output power or input draw? Those are very different things. 900 watts output is fairly typical of medium sized microwaves, but these will typically need about 1500 watts to run.

So it is possible that you have a power problem as well as wave form problem. Note also that inverters are often rated deceptively. My Victron looks like 3000 watts, but if you read the specs carefully, it's really 3000kVA, or 2500 watts. And that's only at 20 degrees C. At normal operating temperature it's really more like 2000 watts . Now that being said, this inverter does run everything on board without any big problems. I even run a washer/dryer off it while motoring.

It pays to read the specs carefully, before assuming what the practical output is from these units.

And in any case, as others have suggested, it would be a good idea to ditch the modified sine wave and get a true sine wave unit. Many types of equipment will work ok on modified sine wave, but others will not, and the difference in cost is not that great, so why mess with it?
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter