Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-04-2016, 20:18   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32
Re: Renogy 100W panels + GTSUN 400W Max 600W Wind Turbine Generator 12V DC 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Looked up the super wind and it doesn't require a dump load but if you want one ( and its the same with the others ) you need an external dump load regulator to control the switching between battery charging and powering the dump load. However if you do use an external regulator you must turn off the internal controller .
As far as I know there is not an internal controller in the Superwind 350. I installed one a few years ago with the controller which includes the power resistors - dump load. Without the controller it is purely a manually controlled generator.

From the manual
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Superwind.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	123179   Click image for larger version

Name:	Superwind2.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	123180  

mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2016, 20:35   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
As far as I know there is not an internal controller in the Superwind 350. I installed one a few years ago with the controller which includes the power resistors - dump load. Without the controller it is purely a manually controlled generator.

From the manual
I just read the manual for the super 350 and yep it requires you to purchase an external regulator. Personally I would prefer to have a wind Genny that gives you the option of internal regutor or adding an external type. IMO
Old 27-04-2016, 00:03   #18
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
I just read the manual for the super 350 and yep it requires you to purchase an external regulator. Personally I would prefer to have a wind Genny that gives you the option of internal regutor or adding an external type. IMO
Internal regulators are most likely as flexible as those on engine alts - really not very flexible at all.
Old 27-04-2016, 07:00   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Internal regulators are most likely as flexible as those on engine alts - really not very flexible at all.
???
I guess I dont understand what you mean by flexable.
The internal regulator on mine is adjustable as I posted . But as I also posted I can turn it off and run an external dump load regulator and channel excess power into a dump such as a water heater element.
If I so choose.
Old 27-04-2016, 08:59   #20
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
???
I guess I dont understand what you mean by flexable.
The internal regulator on mine is adjustable as I posted . But as I also posted I can turn it off and run an external dump load regulator and channel excess power into a dump such as a water heater element.
If I so choose.
How adjustable? Just for battery type I would guess.

My preference is being able to adjust for the manufacturer's battery voltages. For example Trojan wants 14.8 bulk while every charger I've seen - AC, solar, or wind -is set at 14.4. Float voltages as well.

In a very adjustable product adjustments can be made to bulk and float voltages, absorption time, equalization voltages, and temp compensation adjustments. All Victron MPPT controllers have these adjustments - battery charging and ultimate battery life is improved as a result.

While not all controllers are as adjustable as this the more adjustment the better.
Old 27-04-2016, 09:12   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
How adjustable? Just for battery type I would guess.

My preference is being able to adjust for the manufacturer's battery voltages. For example Trojan wants 14.8 bulk while every charger I've seen - AC, solar, or wind -is set at 14.4. Float voltages as well.

In a very adjustable product adjustments can be made to bulk and float voltages, absorption time, equalization voltages, and temp compensation adjustments. All Victron MPPT controllers have these adjustments - battery charging and ultimate battery life is improved as a result.

While not all controllers are as adjustable as this the more adjustment the better.
OK yes a solar charge controller is much more adjustable than a wind charge controller
As far as voltage full charge cutout on the air x. It is adjustable from 13.6 v to 17.0 volts . With a factory preset of 14.0 .
Old 27-04-2016, 14:30   #22
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
OK yes a solar charge controller is much more adjustable than a wind charge controller
As far as voltage full charge cutout on the air x. It is adjustable from 13.6 v to 17.0 volts . With a factory preset of 14.0 .
Good thing it is adjustable - I do not know of a lead/acid battery that is happy at 14 volts.

Tags
generator, panels, wind