Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-12-2014, 10:36   #1

Boat: Outbound 44
Prosine bled the batteries

The boat's on the hard. Solar Panels are up and we're having sunny days - so the batteries are constantly up at over 14.5V during the days - 100% charged.

I worry that this might do some over-charging of the batteries - am I right to worry about that?

Anyway, in order to bleed off a few amps to drop the over-charging potential, I figured I'd leave a small load going - nothing big - I chose to leave my Prosine Inverter on - Standby. Should be a nice small inconspicuous load...

I left the boat for 10 days and came back to 12.0V, 500AH drawn, batteries down at 40% charge (1,000AH bank).

According to Xantrex, the Prosine should only pull 0.5W in Standby (40-50mA) - so I'm guessing it's on the blink - or am I missing something - or misinterpreting the specifications?
Outbound 44 #27
Bill Balme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2014, 10:58   #2
Eternal Member

Re: Prosine bled the batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Balme View Post
The boat's on the hard. Solar Panels are up and we're having sunny days - so the batteries are constantly up at over 14.5V during the days - 100% charged.

I worry that this might do some over-charging of the batteries - am I right to worry about that?

Anyway, in order to bleed off a few amps to drop the over-charging potential, I figured I'd leave a small load going - nothing big - I chose to leave my Prosine Inverter on - Standby. Should be a nice small inconspicuous load...

I left the boat for 10 days and came back to 12.0V, 500AH drawn, batteries down at 40% charge (1,000AH bank).

According to Xantrex, the Prosine should only pull 0.5W in Standby (40-50mA) - so I'm guessing it's on the blink - or am I missing something - or misinterpreting the specifications?
Maybe. Leaving an inverter on while off the boat isn't a great idea, as you now know.

Much better solution: a decent PWM or MPPT controller for your panels. With one of these in line, you'd not need to worry about overcharging your batteries. Relatively cheap, elegant, and worry-free solution. Your batteries will love you for it.

Re: the 0.5A draw, that's easy to measure. While you're at it, measure total draw on the batteries (put an ammeter in line near the batteries).

Your battery health (meaning CAPACITY not voltage) could also be a factor. Don't believe your battery monitor. These can be WAY off unless you re-calibrate them regularly and have a good understanding of your overall 12VDC system.

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2014, 17:36   #3

most large inverters draw 1-2 amps in standby. that might be the off current?
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2014, 19:19   #4

Which function of the invertor did you put in standby? The charging or the inverting function? If you disabled the charging function (logical) but left the invertor function on it would continue to supply power to any needy amp sucking appliance you left plugged in. You apparently left a load on the unit. The math says 2 amps /hr draw down but it does not take into consideration the excess voltage 14.5 produced by your panels. I think you have a larger load that the invertor is feeding. Find the load and all will be well.
Old 30-12-2014, 20:42   #5

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

If it's a standalone Prosine inverter, the search mode injects one 120 vac cycle into the boat's ac circuitry every 2.5 seconds.
When it senses a load (greater than 5 watts?), it goes into full operation.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
prosine