Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2012, 17:24   #31

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Re: Photos of Bimini Solar Panel Mounts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfarrar View Post
Nicholson, it's easy enough to take the rigid panels down: about 10 minutes to disconnect the wiring, then the panels simply unclamp from the tubes and store below on the aft bunk.

I've been waiting for flexible panels with the efficiency of the rigid ones. I could eliminate about 55# and a lot of windage from the bimini. Could Sobian Flex be the ones? They're not cheap.
I haven't seen flex at the same efficiency. I am working with a friend who is in the solar/alt energy commercial business. He observes also the solarflex film numbers are not good at all but is working on tents with very high area and high open circuit voltage and large area where the tents are to be covered with a fly made of solar flex films. We are talking about huge power and MPPT controllers. I wonder if a solar tarp we put out or hoist depending on conditions is a good idea.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 17:58   #32

Boat: Allures 44

Quote:
I haven't seen flex at the same efficiency.
That's what I've always thought, but the power output of the Sobian Flex panels is about the same as my similarly sized Kyoceras! So now I am wondering about the longevity of the flex panels. They're also more expensive.
cfarrar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 18:18   #33

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
Here's some posts of my solar dodger/bimini mounts using the exisisting dodger frame and my addition of a solar bimini. It has evolved over the years but, the final design seems to work well even through two Cat one hurricanes:
We are in the process of replacing out 7/8 aluminum with 1" stainless frame from sailrite too. Quick question to you... how strong was the frame once you put it together? I was hoping for something that wont wobble around like our aluminum frame.

With this new frame, we are mounting two Kyocera 135 watt panels (and a 205 watt on the davits).
Matt Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 18:21   #34

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
That's what I've always thought, but the power output of the Sobian Flex panels is about the same as my similarly sized Kyoceras! So now I am wondering about the longevity of the flex panels. They're also more expensive.

Do you have a link? I did a google search and found "a big deal" about solar thin films at 5.5%. In my view, the target is around 18% now for thin film rigid. The flex at very low % has to be cheap cost per watts and be large enough to run up the mast or drape over the boom.
Old 01-02-2012, 18:32   #35

Boat: 1976 Ranger 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
We are in the process of replacing out 7/8 aluminum with 1" stainless frame from sailrite too. Quick question to you... how strong was the frame once you put it together? I was hoping for something that wont wobble around like our aluminum frame.

With this new frame, we are mounting two Kyocera 135 watt panels (and a 205 watt on the davits).
As a mechanical engineer who doesn't have a dodger or bimini (but I want one), I think you'll gain strength and stiffness with the increase in diameter, but the material doesn't matter much. Wall thickness does. Also, the sailrite kits' bows are split into sections, which I think dooms them to never be anywhere near as stiff as a one piece bow.
DamonVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 18:34   #36

Here is the link to Solbian.

Their newest panels sport efficiencies of 17.5%. They're also expensive. The older models are a little less efficient but still comparable to most rigid panels, and cheaper. I found a couple of U.S. dealers by Googling (one of whom is a CF member). I have no experience with these panels, but I am definitely curious.
Old 01-02-2012, 18:41   #37

Boat: 1976 Ranger 33

I just ordered these Sanyo high-voltage high-efficiency panels for the 48-volt electric motor I'm putting in for an excellent price: 195 watts, 16.8% efficient, $350. Shipping is brutal on solar panels. Note too the high voltage (Voc=68V) requires quite a charge controller.

Thin film solar is good for a sailboat with its shade tolerance and you-can-walk-on-it toughness, but poor because of the much lower efficiency, and therefore the need for more Watts capacity for an equal amount of energy production. In the terrestrial solar world, thin film is also not expected to last as long.
DamonVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 19:00   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post

The sailrite frame is very strong. They say it is stronger than a one piece frame once it is put together. I believe them. Another good thing is when I tied the 1" bimini section rear frame to the 7/8" dodger frame via the bars it added rigidity as the rear frame helped descrease the side to side motion of the dodger too.
Old 01-02-2012, 19:12   #39

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Here is the link to Solbian.

Their newest panels sport efficiencies of 17.5%. They're also expensive. The older models are a little less efficient but still comparable to most rigid panels, and cheaper. I found a couple of U.S. dealers by Googling (one of whom is a CF member). I have no experience with these panels, but I am definitely curious.

Impressive for flex film! Cell efficiency of 22.5 with panel efficiency of 14.44 (125 W panel) You could consider paving the deck with these. Did I miss pricing at this site or are they marked somewhere else?
Old 01-02-2012, 19:20   #40

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonVT View Post
As a mechanical engineer who doesn't have a dodger or bimini (but I want one), I think you'll gain strength and stiffness with the increase in diameter, but the material doesn't matter much. Wall thickness does. Also, the sailrite kits' bows are split into sections, which I think dooms them to never be anywhere near as stiff as a one piece bow.

Sorry to have to disagree. Also a PE. The material does matter. Youngs Modulus is way higher for SS over aluminum. If the OP is interested in stiff, SS and larger diameter will result in a much stronger and stiffer frame. For our solar support I wouldn't consider aluminum unless it started about 2" diamter.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:52   #41

Quote:
Did I miss pricing at this site or are they marked somewhere else?
There are prices here at Bruce Schwab. The newest panels are quite expensive. The older (but still reasonably efficient) panels are much less, if still more than rigid panels.
Old 02-02-2012, 17:46   #42

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
There are prices here at Bruce Schwab. The newest panels are quite expensive. The older (but still reasonably efficient) panels are much less, if still more than rigid panels.

wow! those are pricey. I won't complain so about my 500 dollar Sanyo 225W panels.
Old 02-02-2012, 18:51   #43

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

And I thought the Aurinco panels were pricey at $786 for a 100 watter.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 23:03   #44
Marine Service Provider

Send a message via MSN to edfoster

Picture of my first installation of Solbianflex panel with Solar Power 22.5% efficient Black crystals and zipper option for Bimini/Dodger mounting.

Bruce Schwab is here in Seattle at the Seattle Boat Show and I will let him know that are panels are being mentioned.
edfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 23:41   #45
Marine Service Provider

Send a message via MSN to edfoster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
Impressive for flex film! Cell efficiency of 22.5 with panel efficiency of 14.44 (125 W panel) You could consider paving the deck with these. Did I miss pricing at this site or are they marked somewhere else?
The 125 W panel is not avalible with the >22.5 eff. cell. Cell is used in the 50W long, 50W square and 100W long panels.
edfoster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bimini, solar