Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-07-2012, 10:22   #1

Odyssey TPPL Batteries

An interesting piece in this month's Sail magazine by Nigel Calder about his ongoing experiences with the Odyssey batteries. He is finding that they are losing capacity over time although it seems different from normal sulfation. He cut one open and didn't find the normal white crystals of sulfation. They looked perfect.

In any case, he has been experimenting with equalizing them and says the missing capacity returns. He is using really high voltages. Charging at 3-5 amps at 17 volts into a 100 amp hour battery for three hours. He saw no case bulging, excess heat or blown caps.

He's also concluded that these batteries should have much longer acceptance charges at 14.8V. Four to eight hours normally and an occasional 16-20 hours of acceptance voltage when plugged in to a dock.

This all seems pretty radical. Anyone have an opinion?

Carl
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 02:42   #2

Re: Odyssey TPPL batteries

Can you tell me which months Sail magazine this was? Have searched but not found anything that discusses this?

Thanks,
michael
svfinnishline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 03:04   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
An interesting piece in this month's Sail magazine by Nigel Calder about his ongoing experiences with the Odyssey batteries. He is finding that they are losing capacity over time although it seems different from normal sulfation. He cut one open and didn't find the normal white crystals of sulfation. They looked perfect.

In any case, he has been experimenting with equalizing them and says the missing capacity returns. He is using really high voltages. Charging at 3-5 amps at 17 volts into a 100 amp hour battery for three hours. He saw no case bulging, excess heat or blown caps.

He's also concluded that these batteries should have much longer acceptance charges at 14.8V. Four to eight hours normally and an occasional 16-20 hours of acceptance voltage when plugged in to a dock.

This all seems pretty radical. Anyone have an opinion?

Carl
Carl,

I have seen the same thing on an Odyssey battery. Nigel and I discussed this, and I tried some of his tricks, and they seemed to eventually work on that battery. I used lower voltages though, at the suggestion of Enersys. The problem is that most of the folks out there don't own the equipment to do this and Odyssey still advises against it. I spoke at length with Kalyan J. one of the lead engineers at Enersys who agreed that they would replace the battery under warranty. I did this after that conversation and the battery came back. In the end the battery was still replaced under warranty because the boat is an off shore race boat and can't afford to have this happen again. The house bank of Odyssey batteries, on the same boat, had no issues what so ever.

In this case the battery was charged to 100% in the fall, mid winter and spring and had started the boat with ease into October. In the spring it was re-installed and failed to crank the motor.

The battery started out at just 16 CCA and came back to spec within four days of the rejuvenation exercise.. I was not using a normal charger for this and I don't think Nigel does either. I used a lab grade switch mode power supply with adjustable voltage and current. To do it with a charger you would need one with some fairly adjustable parameters.
Old 03-08-2012, 03:15   #4

thats all well and good - but I am still looking for the month, year and/or link that can show me what was written?

Very interested as I have an Odyssey battery bank - hopefully someone out there can send me a link or a summary of the conclusions & findings?
Old 03-08-2012, 03:55   #5
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by svfinnishline View Post
thats all well and good - but I am still looking for the month, year and/or link that can show me what was written?

Very interested as I have an Odyssey battery bank - hopefully someone out there can send me a link or a summary of the conclusions & findings?
I had no idea Nigel even published that. I stopped getting Sail magazine sorry I can't help...
Old 03-08-2012, 04:52   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 42CE

FL:

Sail August 2012, page 62, "Born Again Batteries" by Nigel Calder.
V42 #186 s/v Little Wing
arisatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:55   #7

MainSail

My Odyssey's have not shown any noticeable decline after three years although I haven't done any scientific test. I'm using the "Crossed Fingers" battery management methodology.

My boat use tends to be used 10-12 days a month with a lot of engine use - so full charge and typically only 30-40% drained at night. When I'm not on the boat it's almost always on shore power.Probably about what the Odyssey's like.

I noticed that Odyssey makes float voltage a condition of the written warranty - I can't remember ever seeing that in a battery warranty. Trickle chargers that do not have a regulated trickle charge voltage between 13.5V and 13.8V (no lower than 13.5V and no higher than 13.8V) will cause early failure of the Battery. Use of such chargers with the Battery will also void the Battery’s warranty

I had read your comments about Lifeline's really liking regular equalization charges -- although not at Nigel's really high voltages. I was thinking that if he had no obvious problems at the really high voltages on the Odyssey then I would be OK at normal equalization levels like 15.5v. Obviously, this is an "at my own risk" exercise.

My charger is a Victron Multi. I've got the computer interface so I can set voltage and charging amps as well as monitor it during the equalization. Is there another reason for special charging equipment that I'm missing?

Thanks

Carl
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2013, 07:39   #8

I am close to buying these Odyssey Batteries to be my House Bank. ( 1000 AH )

I tried to find information on the recommended Battery Charger , 12VDC.

But found nothing. This was about a year ago. Perhaps there has been new

information published.

Any help and information would be appreciated.

Other wise will go with LifeLine Housebank.
Jeff Millar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2013, 07:52   #9

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

The Odyssey factory site has charger info at

ODYSSEY Batteries - Chargers

and

http://www.odysseyfactory.com/docume...ay2013_000.pdf

-Chris
Old 18-08-2013, 07:57   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
MainSail

My Odyssey's have not shown any noticeable decline after three years although I haven't done any scientific test. I'm using the "Crossed Fingers" battery management methodology.

My boat use tends to be used 10-12 days a month with a lot of engine use - so full charge and typically only 30-40% drained at night. When I'm not on the boat it's almost always on shore power.Probably about what the Odyssey's like.

Our usage might be similar; lots of dock time, anchoring only for 2-3 days at a time and only occasionally, usually depleting by only 20-30% or so when anchored (but sometimes to 50%, and a few times inadvertently to about 12.0v), twice daily charging (breakfast and dinner with an all-electric galley).

Our oldest 300-Ah bank (3x 31M-PC2150s) is midway through its 8th season. Coincidentally, I happened to check our batteries yesterday -- after full charge, and after 4 hours resting with no load and charger off. That bank was holding at 12.84v, measured with multi-meter at the bank. (Analog vu-meter in the saloon showed about 12.6v, but at that point there's also an immediate load on the system (CO detectors, shower sump for AC condensate, powered AM/FM/TV antenna, AC/DC panel lights, etc.) and probably some voltage drop from battery bank to saloon. And it's an analog gauge, with unknown veracity.

-Chris
Old 19-08-2013, 04:51   #11

Please note that the largest size output from Odyssey approved Battery Charger is 50 amps.
How does this make any sense if you have a 1000 to 1200 AH House bank battery.

Sorry but I don't get it. Can someone explain this to me. I am thing a 90 amp output would be more appropriate but if this size is not approved ? ( max 50 amps )
What is wrong with this picture /
Jeff Millar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 04:58   #12
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Millar View Post
Please note that the largest size output from Odyssey approved Battery Charger is 50 amps.

Sorry but I don't get it. Can someone explain this to me. I am thing a 90 amp output would be more appropriate but if this size is not approved ? ( max 50 amps )
You don't need to have an "approved" charger just a charger that can follow the charging guidelines in the technical manual. It is impossible for Enersys to test every charger out there...
Old 19-08-2013, 05:09   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Millar View Post

I like what Maine said.

There is a 60-amp one on their list (although that's not much bigger); ProMariner.

-Chris
Old 27-07-2014, 02:18   #14

OK after 4 years of full time cruising my odyssey battery bank (2x1800FT, 12v 436ah) is down to about 52% of original rated capacity. It's time to either try the suggested charging regime or bin them and buy new.

What sort of charging equipment should I look for to try and bring some capacity back?

Thanks,
Michael
Old 27-07-2014, 06:45   #15
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by svfinnishline View Post
OK after 4 years of full time cruising my odyssey battery bank (2x1800FT, 12v 436ah) is down to about 52% of original rated capacity. It's time to either try the suggested charging regime or bin them and buy new.

What sort of charging equipment should I look for to try and bring some capacity back?

Thanks,
Michael
How was the current capacity tested? Details on this testing would help... That said four years of 24/7, with perhaps incorrect charging, is still decent life...