Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2018, 07:35   #1

Nocold compressor next to 2 house batteries

I am doing a complete rebuilding of a 1972 Pearson 33. I have cut a larger hole in aft port quarter birth to accommodate house batteries end to end. There is plenty of room for the Norcold compressor to fit in the same Battery locker. I am converting the ice box to a cold plate. The proximity is perfect for both running compressor tubing, powering both AC and DC and use minimum space to this location but am wondering if the large quarter berth locker will dissipate the heat of compressor. Thought of a computer fan (AC) to help. Opinions?

Thanks,

GLC
glcalahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 07:46   #2

Re: Nocold compressor next to 2 house batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by glcalahan View Post
I am doing a complete rebuilding of a 1972 Pearson 33. I have cut a larger hole in aft port quarter birth to accommodate house batteries end to end. There is plenty of room for the Norcold compressor to fit in the same Battery locker. I am converting the ice box to a cold plate. The proximity is perfect for both running compressor tubing, powering both AC and DC and use minimum space to this location but am wondering if the large quarter berth locker will dissipate the heat of compressor. Thought of a computer fan (AC) to help. Opinions?

Thanks,

GLC
GLC,

Battery lockers should be for batteries... only.

Battery boxes should be vented, preferably overboard. The batteries need to be physically restrained so they stay put even in a knockdown. And they materials should be resistant to, and safely contain, any acid spills. No other electrical equipment should be in the same space.

Aside from the significant heat put out by the compressor, (which is very bad for the batteries) you have issues with corrosive and flammable gases given off by the batteries. If you have sealed batteries (AGM or Gel) be aware that do sometimes gas a bit. If you have flooded lead acid batteries, then my answer changes from "no" to "NO!"

It might be possible to install a gas tight partition between the batteries and the compressor, and the little cooling fan is a very good idea for any compressor in a confined space..
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 08:51   #3

Thanks! The entire aft quarter berth opens aft into the engine compartment and cabin. The batteries are AGM group 31s. This the 3rd installation of this type cold plate AC/DC system but never installed near batteries. I plan to install vent covers and may put an AC computer fan. Not withstanding packing the aft quarter berth with 'stuff', there will be air flow from compartment as I mentioned. Just trying to make a safe, efficient use of space. I will try to post a pic later.

Thanks again!
Old 08-09-2018, 15:00   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by glcalahan View Post
Thanks! The entire aft quarter berth opens aft into the engine compartment and cabin. The batteries are AGM group 31s. This the 3rd installation of this type cold plate AC/DC system but never installed near batteries. I plan to install vent covers and may put an AC computer fan. Not withstanding packing the aft quarter berth with 'stuff', there will be air flow from compartment as I mentioned. Just trying to make a safe, efficient use of space. I will try to post a pic later.

Thanks again!
You'll find the refrigerator compressor controller has a pair of spade terminals on it that can supply up to 0.5 amps @ 12V for a fan that switch on with the compressor. If you are installing an air cooled unit, they probably are using that to drive the condenser cooling fan, but you might have enough capacity left to drive another tiny fan in parallel.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 16:37   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by billknny View Post
You'll find the refrigerator compressor controller has a pair of spade terminals on it that can supply up to 0.5 amps @ 12V for a fan that switch on with the compressor. If you are installing an air cooled unit, they probably are using that to drive the condenser cooling fan, but you might have enough capacity left to drive another tiny fan in parallel.
Hey thanks! I am just planning all this out. I set the batteries in place and just set the compressor unit in place. I will build a level shelf and glass it in as the did the new battery box. Battery box is almost finished except for the tiedowns. In the attached picture you are looking to port side and the ice box in pic the ice box bulkhead is to the right. So you can see why I want to make it work. AC/DC is right there and evaporator is less than 2'. I am insulating the box with 2" Wide R13 (2-2"=4" total thickness). This is total 26R factor insulation.

Thanks for the input!Click image for larger version

Name:	20180908_170551.jpeg
Views:	112
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	177048

Tags
compressor