Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-06-2010, 03:53   #1

Need to Add Buss Bar to New Batteries

We are installing new AGM batteries, and they have threaded holes for connecting the cables.

Because I have several cables to attach, I want to mount a buss bar there rather than stacking them all under the single bolt. I could make this of copper or brass. Copper has less resistance, but most buss bars I've seen are brass. Why is that, corrosion resistance, or for threading capability ?

Which would be better ? Also, I know I can find brass (Or bronze) bolts. Would copper, if i can find them, be better ?

Thanks.
runningman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2010, 04:24   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Company called Blue Sea have some nice bus bars, which we used. Stainless steel so they don't turn into a horrible green mess. We used them becuase like you I didn't like the idea of half a dozen wires all connected to an engine bolt.

BusBars, Connectors & Insulators - Blue Sea Systems

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2010, 04:24   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Copper (tinned, if available).

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2010, 05:17   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Company called Blue Sea have some nice bus bars, which we used. Stainless steel so they don't turn into a horrible green mess. We used them becuase like you I didn't like the idea of half a dozen wires all connected to an engine bolt.

BusBars, Connectors & Insulators - Blue Sea Systems

Pete
Pete,

Blue Sea uses tin plated copper for most all of their buss bars. Stainless has quite low conductivity when compared to copper on the IACS Conductivity scale. Copper is the metal all others are based on when it comes to conductivity. Only silver has a higher conductivity rating than copper.

Copper is at 100% on the IACS scale and stainless is down in the 2-3% range. Silver is rated as 105% and gold at 70%. Brass is only rated at about 28% so you'd need a very large piece of it to equal coppers conductivity.

Blue Seas is the right place to get quality pre-made buss bars.
Old 21-06-2010, 05:30   #5
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
I made my bus bars out of 1"x1/4" copper stock purchased from metal supermarket. Stainless bolts, but the connectors are contacting the bar stock.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2010, 05:42   #6

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by forsailbyowner View Post
I made my bus bars out of 1"x1/4" copper stock purchased from metal supermarket. Stainless bolts, but the connectors are contacting the bar stock.
--and if I might add, bronze, not stainless, washers between the contact surfaces and the fasteners.
Old 21-06-2010, 14:24   #7

Thanks !
We'll get a copper bar, and spray some coating on it after assembly. Looking at silicon bronze fasteners.
runningman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2010, 14:35   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
Pete,

Blue Sea uses tin plated copper for most all of their buss bars. Stainless has quite low conductivity when compared to copper on the IACS Conductivity scale. .
Blimey, I spent all afternoon bolts wires to the thing without even realising. I stand corrected, but yes nice kit as are their switches.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote