Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-07-2014, 16:25   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Need some clarification, not charging to 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoloSF View Post
It's a French made Beneteau, so it's definitely EU 220V! I've tried finding local professionals, but it's really hard to find in the Bay Area. Everyone's booked months out and they charge $120-180/hr!
Yeow! $120-$180/hour? That sounds high even for CA. Just confirms to me again that I'm not rich enough to live on the west coast. So are you dealing with boat yards and "marine" electricians? I think a knowledgeable home electrician could do this kind of work.

Maybe some of the other members in the Bay Area (like Bash for example) could recommend someone for a little less.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2014, 16:27   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 423

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Yeow! $120-$180/hour? That sounds high even for CA. Just confirms to me again that I'm not rich enough to live on the west coast. So are you dealing with boat yards and "marine" electricians? I think a knowledgeable home electrician could do this kind of work.

Maybe some of the other members in the Bay Area (like Bash for example) could recommend someone for a little less.
I'll look up "bash" to see if I can send him a PM. I'd like to do my research and ask questions. If I'm going to be sailing around the world, I'd like to be as self sufficient as possible though.

THanks for your help so far!
Old 18-07-2014, 16:49   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoloSF View Post
I'll look up "bash" to see if I can send him a PM. I'd like to do my research and ask questions. If I'm going to be sailing around the world, I'd like to be as self sufficient as possible though.

THanks for your help so far!
I am always in favor of self sufficiency but at risk of being repetitive, please be very careful dealing with alternating current. There are so many things that could go really bad. Just some of the possibilities:

Killing yourself
Killing someone in the water around your boat
Setting up stray current corrosion that could eat up through hulls, props, prop shaft and more.
Starting a fire and burning up your boat
Frying just about every thing electrical on the boat.

If you don't have it already I suggest a copy of Nigel Calder's book The Boatowner's Mechanical and Electrical Manual. That's a really good place to start.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2014, 16:53   #19
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:

Happy to be of service. The very best in the Bay Area, especially in terms of problem solving, is: L T D Marine Electrical Services
2035 Clement Ave, Alameda, CA
(510) 523-2521

Please know that I have no interest in this business, and that I've used his services on two different boats. This guy is really good.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 18-07-2014, 16:57   #20
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
I am always in favor of self sufficiency but at risk of being repetitive, please be very careful dealing with alternating current. There are so many things that could go really bad. Just some of the possibilities:

Killing yourself
Killing someone in the water around your boat
Setting up stray current corrosion that could eat up through hulls, props, prop shaft and more.
Starting a fire and burning up your boat
Frying just about every thing electrical on the boat.

If you don't have it already I suggest a copy of Nigel Calder's book The Boatowner's Mechanical and Electrical Manual. That's a really good place to start.
"Thank you, your order has been placed." - Ordered! Thanks for the tip!
Old 18-07-2014, 16:58   #21
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Happy to be of service. The very best in the Bay Area, especially in terms of problem solving, is: L T D Marine Electrical Services
2035 Clement Ave, Alameda, CA
(510) 523-2521

Please know that I have no interest in this business, and that I've used his services on two different boats. This guy is really good.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Thanks! He didn't think the 50/60hz had anything to do with it either. So I'm just going to replace the plug and I should be fine. I'll keep him in mind for any other electrical needs I might have coming up as I fine-tune the boat for the circumnavigation!
Old 18-07-2014, 17:10   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

This boat has had this setup for a long time. Presumably your charger is making amps!

You issue is the monitor is not showing 100% against your expectation it would.

I guaranty the monitor is not calibrated - It is not easy to do, so it doesn't get done.

You batteries are likely old - their capacity is surely down. Look at it this way - what the monitor expects to see as full is no longer "full."

They may be fully charged, but they may not hold as many useable amps today - the monitor doesn't know that unless you tell it.

The first thing I would but before solar is install a SmartGauge - I am convinced this is a much simpler device for assessing SOC for the average boater.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2014, 05:24   #23
CLOD

Boat: none

200w of solar should have charged those batteries in 20 days even with cloudy day

what's the actual battery voltage with a hand held?

Tags
charging