Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2016, 09:15   #46

Boat: 1981 C&C Landfall 35
Re: Mobile Generator

I work at an engineering consulting company which is developing future versions of the Honda 1 and 2 k motors. They are great! I've torn them apart, modded them in ways that would break another motor and run them for hundreds of hours. I would highly recommend them to anyone. They are rather loud but no louder than other equivalent generators.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
wsbarnard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2016, 09:26   #47
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

A Honda 2000 will run the 1.0Hp motor on our 20 and 30 GPH water makers and still have power left to run a 40A DC battery charger. The Yamaha 2000 on the other hand won't start the 1.0Hp motor....moral of the story...Buy a Honda over a Yamaha 2000.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2016, 10:05   #48

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefano_ita View Post
Mh...what about a smal DIESEL dc genset? like a lawnmover diesel engine, coupled to a big alternator?, engine loaded, good efficiency...get it inside the engine room, with a good forced ventilation and a night with AC would not be a problem
If your going to go through all of that, then just install a permanent diesel generator like the Next Gen. But many folks don't have the space for a permanent generator, so the Honda is a good alternative. The Trawler Beach House: Do-It-Yourself Generator Install . Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2016, 10:19   #49
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

If my Honda running in the anchorage is too loud, then you anchored too close....

Seriously, running the generator during the day and not during cocktail hour or at night doesn't have anything to do with the Honda, but just being a considerate person, something that seems to be out of vogue these days in the all about me world.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2016, 10:19   #50
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"old fuel making it harder than normal to start after sitting for a few months."
A bottle of Sta-Bil (brand) fuel stabilizer will keep that fuel fresh for up to two years. I've used it in engines laid up untouched over six months, and the (already old before then) fuel burned without a hiccup. The pink stuff was normal, they make a greenish stuff especially for ethanol (gasohol) fuels.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2016, 16:27   #51

Boat: 1980 Pacific International Marine 41.5

Out of curiosity - does anyone "marinize" their honda's? If so, how did you go about it?

I've been contemplating about marinizing mine using some high temp rust protecting paint on all metal parts of the generator.
chowdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2016, 16:53   #52

Boat: H36

Most of the metal gets hot so the paint needs to be hear resistant. Now does the paint interfere with thermo cooling of the engine.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailor Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2016, 16:57   #53

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

If I was going to do anything it would be protect the circuit board inside with additional clear coat polyurethane, but corrosion doesn't appear to be a big issue with these units.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2016, 12:51   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorageGuy View Post
If your going to go through all of that, then just install a permanent diesel generator like the Next Gen. But many folks don't have the space for a permanent generator, so the Honda is a good alternative. The Trawler Beach House: Do-It-Yourself Generator Install . Chuck
I'd mean something praticaly the same, a small farming single cylinder, coupled to an alternator...diesel, fuel efficiency, variable running speed, depending on how much you are using or how much you want to recharge your battery pack...meaning battery disharged, 1300 rpm, batt discharged and some stuff are being used 1600rpm, air con, plus hot water, plus wife 2 kw hair iron= max rpm 2400 rpm...and at 1800 rpm they use only 250gram/kw h...as efficient ( if not more) to the main engine of some sailboat (meaning max 40/45ft, so no space for a real watercooled genset) ah..aircooled, and with electric start...the only cons is that the manual state that after 2000 hours they need complete overhaul, but many farmer in italy has this engine for more than 20/30 years, used every summer for 10 hours a day, with bad fuel, eccc even after 6 month stop in winter, they always start at first stroke...and changing oil every 2 or 3 YEARS...if not more...
stefano_ita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2016, 15:12   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

My little Nexgen burns a quart an hour, or runs for four hours on one gl, however you look at it.
The little Kubota single cylinder is nearly bullet proof, being that it is apparently used a lot on construction equipment, the crankshaft is ball bearing, ought to go for thousands of hours if maintained.
I strongly considered a DC gen set, monster battery bank, large inverter route myself, but came pretty quickly to the conclusion that the payback was marginal at best and it amounted to a science project, AC units are plentiful, with parts availability, nothing to Engineer, and maybe more importantly AC and DC are actually pretty much interchangeable in this day and age with the number of large, relatively inexpensive inverter / chargers available.
If and or when inverter AC generators like the little Honda's become available, then any advantage of a DC gen set will evaporate, in my opinion, leaving the disadvantages, like in my boat, I'd need 50' of very expensive, very large cable to connect the gen to my bank.
I do not know why, but it would seem that the little Honda would be scaleable?

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2016, 16:05   #56
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Using a small engine bolted up to an alternator will give you good 12vdc power. But that's not what the Honda portables are for. The Honda's are for 120VAC power, and even Honda will clearly tell you the 12V side it too "dirty" to power 12v equipment, it is intended for battery charging only. Someone has scope photos of that on the web, the "DC" waveform looks like something that would make 12v electronics unbolt itself and go screaming "MOMMY!" as it ran into the night.

FWIW.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2016, 16:12   #57

Where is everyone storing these gas powered generators when not in use? I hope not in a locker.
wingsofraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2016, 16:22   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
My little Nexgen burns a quart an hour, or runs for four hours on one gl, however you look at it.
The little Kubota single cylinder is nearly bullet proof, being that it is apparently used a lot on construction equipment, the crankshaft is ball bearing, ought to go for thousands of hours if maintained.
I strongly considered a DC gen set, monster battery bank, large inverter route myself, but came pretty quickly to the conclusion that the payback was marginal at best and it amounted to a science project, AC units are plentiful, with parts availability, nothing to Engineer, and maybe more importantly AC and DC are actually pretty much interchangeable in this day and age with the number of large, relatively inexpensive inverter / chargers available.
If and or when inverter AC generators like the little Honda's become available, then any advantage of a DC gen set will evaporate, in my opinion, leaving the disadvantages, like in my boat, I'd need 50' of very expensive, very large cable to connect the gen to my bank.

Not much scaleable,or it's on or it's off...Whatever you need 5 watt in AC or 2000watt... IMO,in an average size boat like 40 ft,but with much confort, the big dilemma is how much and when do i need low-medium-much energy?

For example
electric toaster, coffee maker, hot water..1500 watt about: would you switch on a genset just for 5 minutes? Switch on and off 5 times a day, according what you need? I guess no...

As you said cheap inverter and battery charger and battery themself...this moves us to theory 2:

2: get an average 4.8 kwh or 400 ah 12v lifepo4 battery bank that works very well in pratically all the case, 2 x 250 watt solar and a day full of sun you will completely recharge your battery (even you will never use more than 80%, and maybe this pack is also the starting battery)

3 when you will need lot of usage like aircondition , wife's 2kw hair dryier, toaster, hot water, ecc 2 solution:

1-use main engine + second big alternator (that gives free hot water too...)
2-turn on your gasoline 2 kw generator plug it into a BIG battery charger (like 12v 70-100 amp)

I'm not talking about a 20.000 euro water cooled genset, i'm talking about this (diesel powered)

Just the firs 2 link that google offered me...900 euro more or less..

Petrol Charger

Portable Battery Chargers DC Generators and APUs. Gas, Diesel, Propane Fuel for Mining Marine Telecom Solar
stefano_ita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2016, 16:32   #59

Boat: Grand Soleil 46.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailnow2011 View Post
Oh great, another person who will ruin an anchorage and poison themselves with CO.
I had to listen to one of those rattletraps one night on the ICW. The guy was using it to run a spaceheater. Sounded like someone was mowing the grass. There was no wind, and it ruined our sleep. I have an 18' boathook, and if we came close enough I would have knocked it into the water. Keep your honda's and other brand portables at home.
Tell us how you really feel

Sent from my SM-G386T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

-Jedi master Yoda
natraps116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2016, 17:34   #60

Boat: Tartan 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post

Agree. I have the 5.5 kw next gen. Seems pretty robust and silent from away from the boat except for exhaust water splashing.

I always wonder about the shallow end of gene pool when I see a Honda up on a bow of a boat anchored by the bow. Especially when hatches are open. Where, pray tell, does the exhaust and CO go? Even if hatches are closed, how can this be a good idea? I've seen this a bunch though.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, mob